World 10-ball

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They've always been call-shot so what's the deal? I've never played 'biker-bar anything counts' 8ball.
You're using the 'appeal to legacy' argument, which isn't much of an argument.

The only real argument against call shot (other than luck makes the game more exciting) is that it penalizes two-way shots in which the shooter can possibly pocket two or more object balls (shooter is forced to call only one ball to remain at the table). If that is the main argument against call shot, then why can't that same argument be applied to straight pool and 8-ball to make the games less 'nitty'? Surely there are many opportunities for two-way shots in those games.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have zero data to back this up, but if you ask the top 50 rotation players in the world if they prefer 10-ball with call shot or not, I believe the vast majority of those top players would favor call shot. Simply because luck favors the weaker player. IOW, if you are a stronger player playing against a weaker player, your chances of losing goes up as the luck factor goes up.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I have zero data to back this up, but if you ask the top 50 rotation players in the world if they prefer 10-ball with call shot or not, I believe the vast majority of those top players would favor call shot. Simply because luck favors the weaker player. IOW, if you are a stronger player playing against a weaker player, your chances of losing goes up as the luck factor goes up.
If you asked a marketing concern whether what the players want is more important than what those who purchase the professional pool product want, 0% of them would say that what the players want matters the most.

Making the product as marketable as possible is the only thing that will maximize the revenue that pool generates, and that's the only path to prize money growth and greater income for the players. Let them play any game they like when they're gambling, but when they play for an audience, let them play something simple like nine-ball or snooker.

Thankfully, Matchroom, pool's greatest powerbroker and greatest innovator, understands this.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most successful 10b event in history, DCC's Bigfoot, uses 9ball rules. The players love it. I've yet to hear one complain. I don't mind call shot in fact its how we play here locally BUT not 10b last. Most of the Filipino matches i watch are played same way.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, zero data is right. I don't think a 'vast' majority would vote for call shot. My take, nothing more.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane down 6-3

The big difference so far seems to be Martin is playing pool while Shane is playing pocket pool.

1677711313276.png

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the derby 10b event considered the best because it's express rules or is it because it's on a ten foot table?

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
That was eventful... Mika got loud after what seemed like a shark move by DeLuna... not sure which one was worse

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DeLuna just pulled the shark of the year on Mika. Mika clearly called a gimme 5-9 in the side, but DeLuna tried to claim he hadn't called it. After the ref saw the tape and confirmed that he had indeed called it, DeLuna keeps up with the bullshit. Mika runs out the rack and wins it 8-6.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DeLuna just pulled the shark of the year on Mika. Mika clearly called a gimme 5-9 in the side, but DeLuna tried to claim he hadn't called it. After the ref saw the tape and confirmed that he had indeed called it, DeLuna keeps up with the bullshit. Mika runs out the rack and wins it 8-6.
I would have applauded the ref if after reviewing the tape, he awarded the rack to Mika since it was an obvious, desperate shark attempt.

Mika should have at least shook the refs hand on the way out, but Mika is going to Mika I suppose.

hasu

Registered
You couldn't see from the broadcast angle whether or not the ref called a foul. But the fact that they went to the tape tells me that the ref didn't hear Mika call it, and therefore most likely did call a foul. Otherwise, why go to the tape? Just because DeLuna said something? It's possible, but it would be odd.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
They've always been call-shot so what's the deal? I've never played 'biker-bar anything counts' 8ball. Chinese 8b does allows flukes but on tight-ass snooker pockets it doesn't happen much.
Just a nit to pick. 8-ball was not always call shot and was played at the professional level as a non-call shot when I first started playing. APA is non-call shot because when the professionals who started the APA, they mostly used what they were used to playing.

geoff_182

Was it? When the ref gave the call to Mika, Mika lost it DeLuna. Starting shouting at him.
Watch the replay. DeLuna doesn't stand up until after Mika has turned shouting "I called 9 ball" to the ref.

Of course, DeLune didn't try to "overturn" the refs decision. The ref was just doing his job. And as a player, DeLuna should know that shot is obvious.