USA Chris Lynch
CAN Jody Matheson
USA Rolando Alavena

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the update.

Nice to see Jasmin on the list.

Also interesting to see Orcullo there as well...but what happened to Manalo??

And who the heck is this Craig Riley in the first group? :p

Go gett'em TheOne!

ps...May the skids NOT be with you!

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
TheVeryLowNumberIndeed,
Thanks for the post, and good luck. How many from each group will advance??

We are DEFINITELY seeing a changing of the guard in 14.1; made more abrupt by the 6 years since the last major tournament.

I'm NOT criticizing, just observing; names absent (when was the last major 14.1 without these guys?):

Dallas West
Grady Mathews
Dick Lane
Jim Rempe
Steve Mizerak
Jim Fusco
Larry Liscotti
Nick Vlahos
JR Gay

Also I see LOTS of names I've not heard before, this is a great chance for some new names to step forth. Many thanks to Randy Goldwater for getting this thing going; I had no idea he would play in it - good luck Randy.

I would love to see the women do well (Jasmin O., Megan M., J. Lee), I can't wait to see the results.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
Group 1
USA Johnny Archer
NET Kevin Becker

Group 2
GER Oliver Ortmann
USA Mike Davis

Group 3
GER Thorsten Hohmann
USA John Schmidt

Group 4
USA Mike Sigel
GER Ralf Souquet

Group 5
FIN Mika Immonen
USA Steve Lipsky

Group 6
GER Thomas Engert
ITY Fabio Petroni

Group 7
USA Nick Varner
HUN Vilmos Foldes

Group 8
USA Bobby Hunter
USA Chris Lynch

my 2cent for the group winners :) curious to see how wrong i am

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
TheVeryLowNumberIndeed,
Thanks for the post, and good luck. How many from each group will advance??

I believe it's 4 from 8 WillieGetAKick, thanks I will need more luck than video tape for that spot shot lol

Sad to see Efren, Manalo and Luat not playing but since Manalo didn't come over for the BCA it wasn't unexpected. Still should be great event though with some interesting first round match ups like Hohman v Schmidt, Archer v Harriman, and Lee v Sigel etc.

LOL JSP, I'm sure I'll get heaps now!

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
TheOne said:
I believe it's 4 from 8 WillieGetAKick, thanks I will need more luck than video tape for that spot shot lol

Sad to see Efren, Manalo and Luat not playing but since Manalo didn't come over for the BCA it wasn't unexpected. Still should be great event though with some interesting first round match ups like Hohman v Schmidt, Archer v Harriman, and Lee v Sigel etc.

LOL JSP, I'm sure I'll get heaps now!

Good luck man, show em how to really play 14.1!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
I'm NOT criticizing, just observing; names absent (when was the last major 14.1 without these guys?):

Dallas West
Grady Mathews
Dick Lane
Jim Rempe
Steve Mizerak
Jim Fusco
Larry Liscotti
Nick Vlahos
JR Gay

Sadly, Larry and Nick are no longer with us, and Miz is incapacitated. Of the remaining absentees, Dick Lane is probably the one most notable, as he finshed 5th in the 2000 US Open 14.1 event and 2nd in the 1999 National Straight Pool Championships. I haven't heard much of Dick recently.

Of course, Dallas West is one of the best ever, but I don't know how much gas he has left in the tank.

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the post Craig. I see you got Max in your group; I'm glad to see him playing back here on the East Coast; seems like he's laid low on the tournament trail the past 6 months or so. He made the US Open (tied for 17th?) but that's about it.

Can't wait!

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
StevenPWaldon said:
Thanks for the post Craig. I see you got Max in your group; I'm glad to see him playing back here on the East Coast; seems like he's laid low on the tournament trail the past 6 months or so. He made the US Open (tied for 17th?) but that's about it.

Can't wait!

Max is a good bloke, and I'm looking forward to seeing/playing him again. I think he played in the recent BCA open and according to reports played well. But Harriman and Archer wow

Just feel extreemly privileged to play in such an event, hope to learn a lot.

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheOne said:
Max is a good bloke, and I'm looking forward to seeing/playing him again. I think he played in the recent BCA open and according to reports played well. But Harriman and Archer wow

Hey Craig,

Yes, Max is a good guy. I knew him back when...he was just a junior national champion!

You say "hope to learn a lot". Make sure you do some "teaching" of your own!

Best of luck! Hope you can give us updates of the inside scoop of your matches.

Andy

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
sjm said:
Sadly, Larry and Nick are no longer with us, and Miz is incapacitated. Of the remaining absentees, Dick Lane is probably the one most notable, as he finshed 5th in the 2000 US Open 14.1 event and 2nd in the 1999 National Straight Pool Championships. I haven't heard much of Dick recently.

Of course, Dallas West is one of the best ever, but I don't know how much gas he has left in the tank.

SJM,
I forgot Ray Martin. I think he still mixes it up with the younger guys on the Florida 9-ball scene. It would have been good to see him compete.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Well, in group 1, Craig Riley is a cinch to get through...Then you got Ortmann, Hohmann, and these other guys.

Oh, no, Jonathan and Tony were thrown in the same group together!

I'll tell you what's going to be REALLY exciting for me to see. Nick Varner playing 14.1. I've been waiting for that a little while...

I'm sad Rempe is not in there. It's kind of hard to believe he couldn't do damage still.

P.S. Willie, are you going to be able to show up round these parts?

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheOne said:
Group Pairings for the 14.1 World Straight Pool Championship 1st Round

Round Robin Format
I think it was very good of the several women to play. That will provide "byes" for the guys who are fortunate enough to draw them...:rolleyes:

Doc

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
P.S. Willie, are you going to be able to show up round these parts?

Lewdo,
It KILLS me to have to miss it. I have 2 kids graduating college, and if I were to miss all the festivities I'm fairly certain the resulting divorce costs could be substantial. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

I am very excited that our local straight pool league champion is competing. I am very hopeful that you and SJM will provide some reports and commentary for all of the losers like me that won't be attending.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:
I think it was very good of the several women to play. That will provide "byes" for the guys who are fortunate enough to draw them...:rolleyes:

Doc

I agree. In fact, it's not just the woman, there are several guys in each of the brackets that will provide "byes" to the better players. Wasn't this supposed to be invitational? If so, just like the IBT, they have overlooked a bunch of terrific straight pool players. How were some of the guys and/or gals chosen?

Any championship that leaves out Dick Lane or CJ Wiley, or Grady is not a full field in my opinion. No offense, but there are several people in this field that have not even run a 100 balls. I don't think the event will be worth following until they get out of the round robin stages.

Oh well, maybe one of the "unknowns" will prove us all wrong and win the damn thing. Otherwise, IMO, the round robin bracket will only seperate the wheat from the chaff.

For those of you who "lucked" your way in....have a great time....definately a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Regards,

Doug

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Lewdo,
It KILLS me to have to miss it. I have 2 kids graduating college, and if I were to miss all the festivities I'm fairly certain the resulting divorce costs could be substantial. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

I am very excited that our local straight pool league champion is competing. I am very hopeful that you and SJM will provide some reports and commentary for all of the losers like me that won't be attending.
A shame. Well, I'll try to keep you guys informed.

Congratulations to the kids.

P.S. Eat your heart out. Remember? I wasn't able to go to DCC and I had to hear from irrepressible, loquacious communicators like you all forum-day long. LOL! :D

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Zuglan

I have seen him play 9 Ball and he has a great game. I have never seen him compete outside of the Joss Tour. I heard he has a great 14:1 game from other Pros. I am looking forward to watching him play. I think he will be right up there.

DougT

Illustrated Principles
TheOne said:

Good luck Craig! do more than learn!
And leave the acetone at home!

DougT

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Has 1 of the best 14.1 games i have ever seen...rumor has it that Mosconi and another player watched Mike Sigel run 150 and out on Mike Zuglan and then Mike Zuglan came back and ran 148 and out on Ray Martin. (both on tape at accustats) Mosconi leaned over to the other player and supposidly made the statement "that man has more heart than anybody i have seen in a long time". That said after MZ ran the 148 and out after losing 150/0...................mike