World Cup Of Pool (9-14 May2021) $250K Prizemoney

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any ranking that has Majid higher than Roberto Gomez is obviously flawed not mention Melling lower as well???

Niels and Ouschan are rated higher than Dechaine
Woodward is rated higher than Souqet and VanDenBerg
Roberto Gomez is rated higher than Deuel

Do you disagree with those as well?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yep Majid is overrated there just like how he overrates himself. His supreme confidence in his own abilities is more like arrogance. It is a blessing he is not playing or commentating. :ROFLMAO:
Wow, I think he's one of the best game analysts among those that commentate Eurotour matches.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really know much about Imran, but he does have a higher FR than Darren and Boyes (who isn't even in the top 100)

View attachment 594981

First comment is all these players here are essentially rated the same. It is very very difficult to determine a meaningful ordering of players that are rated the same within just a few points..

When you say Boyes "isn't even in the top 100," please be aware Boyes is rated 789. It's just that his last games are 3 years ago and so he doesn't meet the modest recency requirement of 150 games in the last two years. There is a decent chance 789 is a pretty good number for him still.

Imran has games against Melling, Appleton, and Shaw in 2020. Looking over the last 3 years, Imran has 161 games against Filler, Shaw, Gorst, Feijen, Ruiz, Ouschan, and Kazakis, all 801 and above. He won 78 and lost 83.
Imran has 80W 87L record against Mark Gray(801) last 3 years
Against 14 opponents in the 780s and 790s in the last 3 years, Imran has a remarkably even record of 145W 148L

In the same period Roberto Gomez has a record of 154W and 173L against opponents in 780s and 790s and 183W 231L against SVB, Shaw, Ko Pin Yi, Gorst, Orcollo, Ouschan, Aranas, YH Cheng, Ignacio, Oi, and Kazakis.

Of course Fargo Ratings are based on much more than this. the key is giving proper relative weight to different information and that's why it is an optimization process and not just a "calculation."

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Wow, I think he's one of the best game analysts among those that commentate Eurotour matches.
I think so as well... However he does take nearly every opportunity to promo his own sponsors. I understand why, and hey if you can get away with it, why not. Just bugs me.

Reactions: sjm

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First comment is all these players here are essentially rated the same. It is very very difficult to determine a meaningful ordering of players that are rated the same within just a few points..

When you say Boyes "isn't even in the top 100," please be aware Boyes is rated 789. It's just that his last games are 3 years ago and so he doesn't meet the modest recency requirement of 150 games in the last two years. There is a decent chance 789 is a pretty good number for him still.
Boyes also won a Supreme Pool Series (English pool) event in May 2019. Different table, different balls but it's still pool, the tournament format was brutal and the field was tough. He is not as out of form as he would have us believe.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Germany vs Kuwait was a good match, but the missed nine ball by Kuwait trailing 5-4 pretty much sealed their fate, taking the shine off a pretty entertaining match. The match was closer than the 7-4 score would suggest.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More Canadian piss in Matchroom's cornflakes...

...and you guys think the state of USA pool is in rough shape.

is it in such a rough shape? i've understood alex isn't in top form but morra recently won a 1p tourney against a tough field..

isn't it more the circumstances? testing here, testing there, quarantine, matchroom covid bubble, etc.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Denmark was often dissed as a boring football team. But this Denmark team was far from boring. After couple of hilarious blunders by Lotfy (forgetting to call Pushout and not hitting the 9 ball millimetres away) they somehow still managed to eliminate giantkiller Italy who had knocked out Spain. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Lotfy forgetting to call Pushout

Lotfy not hitting the 9ball milimetres away

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
is it in such a rough shape? i've understood alex isn't in top form but morra recently won a 1p tourney against a tough field..

isn't it more the circumstances? testing here, testing there, quarantine, matchroom covid bubble, etc.
Yes it is imo... John managed to win $4500 a 1pk tournament. Good for him.

Our two best players (15 and 70 in world fargo, no others in top 100) rather chase action at small events then represent the country. I understand the finanical reasoning, and don't blame them. If I lived their lives, I may just do the same. However that doesn't change the fact once those two individuals are off the playing field, Canada doesn't have a world class player. Let alone a world class pairing.

(No offence to Ben and Tom intended)

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly I hate to see Boyes/Appleton win. They were put in at the last minute just to fill a bye.