World Cup of Pool Day 3 Updates

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won't be as much fun around here with US out of the event, but still some good pool to come.

Here is today's schedule:

12:30pm session
round1
Spain v Czech Republic
Finland v Belgium
Greece v Singapore
Race To 7

6:30pm session
round1
England B v Sweden
Race To 7

Round 2
Holland v Japan
England A v Korea
Race To 7

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spain goes 1-0 up over Czechs after a cautious and sloppy first frame.

Frame 2: Spain scratches in the corner after a too thin hit on the break. The Czech Republic cleans up nicely. 1-1

Frame 3: Roman Huebler (sp?) breaks softish and dry, leaves Spain on the 1. A poor shot on the 2 kisses the 4 in front of the 3, an ordinary safe leaves CR a chance to snooker... and they do. Spain kicks it in, 6 feet down the rail for what should be a clean up, but a pretty simple 4 ball is overcut. CR should be out. Sliding rails pull up a 4 rail inside english shot, to hook Roman on the 8, behind the 9.

Brilliant kick for safe and hook. Spain plays another huge kick and makes the 8. Tricky 9 ball. The same guy who missed the 4 ball jumps and swipes and overcuts the 9 by 6 inches. Ferrari of CR makes a testing 9-ball. CR 2-1 over Spain. Now a 5 min break for adds.

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frame 4: CR makes a ball. Should be out but a bad miss on the 5 when he looked in 2 minds to go 1 or 2 rails across. He underhits the shot and the outside english swerves and causes a huge overcut. Spain cleans up an easy rack. 2-2

Frame 5: Spain makes a ball but loses the CB down table. A long cut to the corner on the 1-ball misses, leaving a chance to snooker, which CR does. Wonder if Spain will jag a 3rd kick in a row.....
Instead, they miss the 1, a pretty big target going 2 rails. This guy having a shocking day for Spain. A tricky combo get CR out of position... a tough 4 ball to make now. Roman nails it and gets kinda ok on the 5, a tester. Nice shot on the 5 and CR clears, looking a lot stronger than Spain, but only 3-2 up.

Frame 6: Big break by Hubler, makes 2 ball but CB follow the 1 ball into the break end corner pocket. Spain faced with a tricky cluster tries the 2 onto the 9-ball and misses. CR hooks them up... jump needed. They guy who is having a real bad day, hits it and leaves it safe. Exchange of hooks going on. CR gets a lucky hook after a jump. Mr. Bad Day jumps but clips the 8 on the way over.

CR run out of shape and turnover, then Spain does the same, Roman with a long 1/4 ball cut tester on the 7. Overcuts it hitting on the 4th beep. Spain cleans up 3-3.

End of second session.

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frame 7: Spain makes a ball, on a pretty easy 1 ball. Bad Day misses a shocker. I don't think he knows where his cue is pointing today. Hubler knocks back what I'd call a 90% pot on the 6 to hook them up. Well, it works, Spain misses by a mile. BIH to CR and a simple out... can they mess it up? .... No, they do it, and stamp their authority with about 5psi of pressure. CR 4-3.

CR have played much better than Spain, but if you miss a few opportunities at the wrong time in 9-ball, it's easy to lose to anyone.

Frame 8: Great break CR, 4 balls in. Hubler fat on the 2 ball but gets cheeky with the jaw and loses the CB a bit. His partner steadies the ship and gets back on line. CR runs out of the break, albeit a bit shakily. 5-3. Maybe they can relax a little now.

Frame 9: Hubler breaks, makes 1 in the corner, on a long tricky 2. Plays safe, doesn't get the hook, but not easy for Spain here. After a couple of safeties, Bad day misses a tricky 2 rail around the table. CR makes 2-9 combo, on the hill at 6-3.

Frame 10: CR breaks, 1 goes in corner pocket again. Tough 2 ball so Hubler hooks them up. Jump by Spain semi successful but a 2-5 combo is possible. Made nicely as a drag stun shot. Hubler overruns the CB getting on the 6 ball, but a nice cut gets them back in line and they clean up to beat Spain 7-3. They'll need to play better in the next round against Qatar I think, but who knows.

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Some links to view the event for those that don't already have one:

Free:
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2637866/size/condensed/
http://www.stream2watch.co/live-tv/gb/sky-sports-3-live-stream
http://www.time4tv.com/2011/09/sky-sports-3.php
http://uk.tvmazza.com/sky-sports-3-live-stream/
http://live.sports4u.tv/channel/sky-sports-3/
http://skystreams.net/sky-sports-3-watch-online-free.html ( <---This one was fine yesterday but today the Chrome browser is warning me that this site might contain harmful stuff like trying to change your homepage or showing "extra ads" as possible examples of what it might do. Use at your own risk.)

Very small PPV fee to watch whole event with this one:
http://www.pool.livesport.tv/

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finland v Belgium

Frame 1: Fins win lag but Makonin breaks dry. Belgium makes the 1, misses a tricky 2 ball and leaves Mika a tester... which he makes but gets a bad roll on the 3 ball... but Petri banks it and they should be out. 1-0 to a confident looking Finland.

Frame 2: Mika smashes them and makes the 8 and 4 in opposite break end corners with nice shape on the 1 and nice layout. Got off line on the 7 ball, but a lovely shot with inside follow by Mika gets them fat on the 9-ball. 2-0

Frame 3: Petri smashes and makes a ball, leaving only a bank on the 1 ball though, which Mika misses. The Belgian giants look good going out, other than a shot on the 8 that almost stayed in the jaws. They trail 1-2.

Frame 4: Belgium scratches CB in the center after a wet break. Mika takes BIH and makes a great shot, just holding on the 2 ball. 4 to 5 is tricky, but Makonin does a pretty good job. And nice clearance. Fins 3-1.

Frame 5: Wing ball and one other go down for a change on Mika's break. Makonin makes a nice cut on the 1 ball. They manipulate the 4-7 cluster and line up a simple 5-9 combo.... 4-1

Frame 6: Dry smash break for Makonin. Not a good shot on the 1 ball for Belgium. They bank it into the corner and get on the 2, but a bad angle to get on the 3. They're forced to play safe from the 3. Belgium makes a crazy swerve long 3 ball, but still a tester on the 4 ball. Lovely 4 ball to the long corner going 3 rails with the CB to be perfect on the 5. These guys shoot good and move to 2-4 behind.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yowser. Missed the first two days of matches. The US lost to Qatar and England escaped double hill? Shocking and, yes, even in a race to seven format. Lack of a break box noteworthy.

I said this during the 2014 Mosconi and the 2015 China Open and I'll say it again. Without a brea box, SVB's advantage on the break is greatly reduced. The same is true, although perhaps less, for Dechaine, so, though I saw none of the match, I'd have to guess that they didn't outbreak their opponents the way they would with a break box. Invite comments from anyone who saw it.

Nonetheless, well played Qatar and good luck from here forward. I'm sure they earned it!

OK, today I'll catch some of the matches.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Whacked out hairdos at every other turn.
Mohawks, Pompadours, punk rocker.
Makonin looked like he did his hair with the old Peroxide Blonde method. LOL

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frame 7: Wet, but Belgium scratch in the middle again. Looks like an easy layout for the Fins. I'll tick them off with 5 balls to go. Fins 5-2

Frame 8: Mika has the break down, 1 in middle and 2 others fall, and he's perfect on the 2 ball. I'll pencil this one in too.... oh wait, Makonin with a horrible scratch... don't think the side took as he expected.

Beligium loses shape on the first shot and will have to make a long 6.... which he misses, seemingly trying to hold on the 8 ball... but their luck has turned as they fluke a snooker, from which Mika scratches and now Beligium are 3-5 behind.

Frame 9: Belgium wet break, tester on the 1 ball with hard shape for the 2. They take on a risky CB path, make the pot in the middle, but carom off a couple of balls and scratch. Can't see Fins missing here, but Mika's face is contorting a little now and Makonin is tightening up. They hold up and move to the hill. 6-3.

Frame 10: Makonin crunches the break, 1 straight in the middle, but draws straight into the other middle pocket. Scratch no. 6 or 7. Easy run out with BIH for Begium which they risk on the 8 with bad shape almost on the rail, but they make it. 6-4.

Finland not home yet!

Frame 11: Wing ball made via a collision but a long fine cut on the 1 ball which is played superbly. Difficult 2 to 3 ahead... which left a hard 3.. they play safe and just get the hook. Nice kick by Mika leaves the 3 safe. Fine touch hook shot by the Belgian. 2 rail kick my Makonin sells out. Lovely shape from 3 to 4 by the Belgian and ... was gonna say they'll clear, but he scratches. YIKES! He could have put a little draw on that to keep away from the pocket. Finland wins 7-4.

They deserved the win, but it could have gone either way by swapping a couple of scratches here and there. Never seen so much scratching in a pro game of that length.

I've got a few things to do, so may not be able to provide as much detail in upcoming matches.

Colin

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greece v Singapore

A pretty even and high quality contest here so far, though some cracks started to appear in the last 2 frames.

Greece won the first 2, Singapore the next 3 with some silky stroking and a fluked 9 ball by Yapp after a bad miss on the 6 ball.

In the 6th frame, the same middle which caught the 9 in the previous frame, caught the Singaporean's CB. Greece ran out to even it up at 3-3.

Frame 7: 1 in the middle again. They seem to have worked out the break in this match. A good chance to run out here for Greece.
Economopolous jaws out an easy 6 ball trying to force the CB 2 rails. Yapp follows up with another miss on the 6 ball but flukes a hook behind the 9 ball. Nice kick to a pretty safe shot, with position to the 7 very hard. They try the smash 3 rail journey and miss it by a foot... they nearly kick the 9 in and achieve safety. The match is going wonky! Looks like Nick has sold out, but yapp doesn't get the inside he needed to hold well for the 7 ball. His partner tries to carom the 9 in, hits the 9, but misses. Was a low percentage carom I thought, the 85 degree cut or the bank better odds. A long straight hit down the rail by Nick's partner secures the rack. Greece lead 4-3.

Frame 8: Wet break but Nick Econetc doesn't get any outside on the CB and crosses the table into the corner pocket. A 4 to 5 tester for Singapore...he kisses the 5 and Yapp hooks the Greeks. Nice kick sits the CB in the corner jaw and 5 runs around the table to leave a fine cut... which singapore makes and goes 3 rails to get Yapp on a straight bank to the middle. 4-4

Frame 9: Singapore breaks dry, but only leaves Greece a push out, which Singapore gives back to Nick. Nick tries to hook via a thin cut but leaves the 1 on down a long rail. Some wonderful stroking, a joy to watch, by the Singapore young guns as they clear the rack to lead 5-4.

Frame 10: Another dry break by Singapore. Nick makes a longish 1 ball but gets out of line a bit. A nice cut on the 2 and they're back on line and should clear. Nick gets too straight on the 6 and his partner had to cheat the pocket to keep line. They run out. 5-5 and a tight climax ahead.

Frame 11: Greece with another nice break... averaging over 2 balls per break. A tricky 2 ball and shape to get in line for Nick. Wow, a shocker, he plays the 2 onto the 6 over the pocket but was so focused on that he stunned the CB straight into the center pocket. Complete brain fade. Singapore with an easy layout now. A nice draw shot from 7 to 8 secures the frame for Singapore who climb to the hill at 6-5.

Frame 12: Singapore breaks dry again. They should have won this match already. Nice leave on the 1 ball for Greece, but a hard 3 ball ahead. Nick's partner over pumps the 3 rail draw to the 3 ball but gets on it perfectly into the middle. A bit out of line on the 5 and now on the 6 and Nick's partner undercuts the 6 but leaves Singapore only a long bank or safe. Yapp makes the bank and that should be the match. A power draw from a straight 7, and a nice cut on the 8 ball and they are into round 2. Singapore 7-5.

Nick Economopolous hasn't looked the same since he copped a lesson from SVB. He will not be feeling too good about this performance.

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Greece is starting to take the heat...Singapore looks like they are just happy to be there...still laughing and joking with the score 5-5. Some of these Asian teams definitely are overly happy win or lose. Japan vs Singapore might be the most funny match imaginable

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yowser. Missed the first two days of matches. The US lost to Qatar and England escaped double hill? Shocking and, yes, even in a race to seven format. Lack of a break box noteworthy.

I said this during the 2014 Mosconi and the 2015 China Open and I'll say it again. Without a brea box, SVB's advantage on the break is greatly reduced. The same is true, although perhaps less, for Dechaine, so, though I saw none of the match, I'd have to guess that they didn't outbreak their opponents the way they would with a break box. Invite comments from anyone who saw it.

Nonetheless, well played Qatar and good luck from here forward. I'm sure they earned it!

Australia got to 5-4 over England A after trailing 1-4, but England escaped somewhat nervously with the last 3 games to win 7-5.

There are a lot of comments on the US game in yesterday's Day 2 thread if you want to check them out.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=406846&page=4

Quite a few not too happy with Karl Boyes' commentary, but I thought he did a good job in being fair and praising SVB as the best in the world atm. And quite humble about his own form.

Cheers,
Colin

2strong4u

Banned

I'd say USA breking was very good. They were each reading the rack and tending to play the 1 in the side alot.

Qatar played near perfect pool. Their patterns play was terrific. They were the better team. The set wasn't decided by rolls either.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
England B v Sweden

Daryl Peach and Mark Gray playing for England B
Marcus Chamat and Christian ? for Sweden

After this it's 2nd Round Matches, so those players should be in form after having played on the table.

Glad to hear some of you are following the updates.. I assumed there were a few without access to streaming.

Colin

I will update scores in this post, or split it up over several posts if there are other posts discussing the goings on.

Frame 1: England wins the lag. Peach nails the break, 1 ball in the middle and perfect on the 2 ball, pretty open layout. Gray underdraws to the 3 ball but it's still on. Combo 3-7 leaves nice angle on the 3 for Gray,.... a little traffic for Peach to get from 4 to 5... he catches the 8 ball leaving a fine 5 ball. Gray thicks the 5 and misses... bad miss. Christian draws nicely from 5 to 6 and Sweden should be out. Sweden 1-0 and 3 ordinary shots by England to blow the first frame.

Frame 2:Christian slugs the break and makes the 5 wing ball and 1 ball top corner. Left only half the 2 ball, safety doesn't hook England, but leaves a long tester. Peach plays safe instead of taking on the pot and leaves a similar tester for Sweden. The slugger Christian jumped all over it and overcut the 2 ball. England with a chance here... 2 to 3 is tricky. Peach attempts a power draw with side and gets 2/3rd the way... needs work on his cue power. Gray, not quite snookered banks the 3 ball table length and gets nicely on the 6. Peach pots the 6 but couldn't manage to get past the 8 ball. Another bank? Nope, Gray tries to hide and comes up short.

Marcus to bank? No, he plays the CB 3 rails tight in behind the 8 ball. No room to jump, but Peach finds a 1 rail escape but leaves a pretty easy 7 ball. And the Swedes steal another one after England had a good opportunity. Sweden 2-0

Frame 3: Chamat makes the 1 in the middle. Perfect on 2 ball but a tied up 5 ball to sort out. Didn't quite get the angle on the 4 to move the cluster but got on the 5 well enough to play safe and find a snooker. Well, they left a thin cut and Peach cuts the 5 into the rail and off the 8 ball to make it, and gets nice shape on the 6. Gray underhits the 6 and leaves a 3 rail route from 7 to 8 and they fall on the rail side of the black, but perfect. England wins and trail 1-2.

3 minute interval....... England B not looking too dangerous. Got the CB on a soft rope, under-hitting shots and not looking like they want to take on the harder pots. It's been mentioned already that Peach has lost some interest in the game... I think that was a few years ago.

Frame 4: Gray makes the 6 wing ball and falls straight on the 1 ball. Should be no problems here. Stream froze up on the 2 ball. When it comes back, I see Peach miss an 8 into the middle that was a SHOCKER. Missed by 2 inches on the near jaw. Swedes get another easy one to lead 3-1.

Frame 5: Christian slugger makes a wing ball. Tester for 1 to 3 ball. Makes the 1, misses his intended hold ball, so looks like a safety from the 3 ball coming up. They hook it up well. Hard to not sell out for England here. Gray clips the 6 trying to swerve into a 1 rail kick, but the 6 sits in front of the 8, which may stop Sweden clearing. Sweden left with a touchy kick safe on the 6 now. They just get it, but too soft. Peach actually could hit enough to pot the 6... and now surely they will clean up??? Gray pumps in a longish but dead straight 9 ball. Looked a little tight though. Sweden 3-2

Frame 6: Peach makes 1 in middle, 2 wing ball in corner and perfect layout. A revival??? Already a bit out of line on the 5, but a 2 rail across and back by Gray gets them back on track. No errors running 6 to 9. 3-3

Continued in next post.....

Last edited:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Marcus sporting the Dennis the Menace hair, ready to stab anyone in the eye looking over his shoulder.