WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 June2021) Champion $50K

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dammn. What just happened man
Shane cld give this kid 20 on the wire in a race to 100 and he just lost 11-5 ?!
Super brutal man. The kid played amazingly smart and punished shane every single mistake.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what are the break rules? 1 or 9 on the spot? Was Shane vs Dennis on that big match 9 on the spot?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok folks that's the wrap. Mega upset- Last of the top guns favorite SVB is out.

Top Tier Premium Show is over.
Now it is over to the Low Tier Show. I hope Matchroom gives us all discount on our subscriptions :ROFLMAO:

tenor.gif

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Skyler now carries the only remaining hope for America, and he is locked in a tight one with Gomez.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I only saw the very end of the match. The first one I've watched from this event. In the first rack the kid totally missed the seven ball and it went in anyway. My thought was these are great tables for beginners! I couldn't tell which ball was which, so call me old school. They are slowly snookerizing pool. Soon we will see smaller balls and a larger table. Genius! ;)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO this was SVB's beat shot at a WC. NO Filipino's, Chinese or Taiwan players and he still couldn't take it off.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ok folks that's the wrap. Mega upset- Last of the top guns favorite SVB is out.

Top Tier Premium Show is over.
Now it is over to the Low Tier Show. I hope Matchroom gives us all discount on our subscriptions :ROFLMAO:
Of the remaining players ,Francisco Sanchez-Ruiz has the highest Fargo rate, which, at 811, is 17th best in the world. Albin Ouschan, at 806, is the only other player that rates in the world top 35 based on Fargo.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Shane is playing the best game of his life yet he didn't make past the 16th round, this goes to show you that what I've been saying for yrs is true. This game is mostly about randomness and rolls.

It doesn't matter if you're at a skill of 10/10 or 9.5/10 or even 8/10 - an 8/10 can beat the 10/10 player if things go well, I don't want to use the letter for grading players because I don't want to get into the dilemma of AAA++ and A,B,C like the other thread. All I am saying here that if levels of players are at pro level or almost-like-pro, its a tossup depending on rolls with the player himself or rolls against his opponent.

Ill repeat, Shane is playing flawlessly and he was beat by a decent player but not his level also not to mention his tilted awkward head and stance (His opponent), I didn't watch the match but properly everything went with that player and most things went against Shane, anyway the game is mostly about randomness of what happens in the set itself.

Lets not start on long races, thanks.

btal

Registered
I felt from the outset that Shane was overconfident. When the kid fired back Shane paid the price for it. It happens. Kudos to the kid and I wish him the best. What a stage for him to rise up like he did.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oliver has lowest Fargo of the quarterfinalists.
The key difference was the break. Shane breaking dry few times when he was ahead and could not put together a pack. Oliver on other hand figured out the break

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think how rock solid the Taiwanese play, they would've dominated this event. Too bad they couldn't participate.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Shane is playing the best game of his life yet he didn't make past the 16th round, this goes to show you that what I've been saying for yrs is true. This game is mostly about randomness and rolls.

It doesn't matter if you're at a skill of 10/10 or 9.5/10 or even 8/10 - an 8/10 can beat the 10/10 player if things go well, I don't want to use the letter for grading players because I don't want to get into the dilemma of AAA++ and A,B,C like the other thread. All I am saying here that if levels of players are at pro level or almost-like-pro, its a tossup depending on rolls with the player himself or rolls against his opponent.

Ill repeat, Shane is playing flawlessly and he was beat by a decent player but not his level also not to mention his tilted awkward head and stance (His opponent), I didn't watch the match but properly everything went with that player and most things went against Shane, anyway the game is mostly about randomness of what happens in the set itself.

Neither played anything remotely close to "flawless" in that match. You're mostly right about the randomness and rolls though... the phrase "any given Sunday" comes to mind on this Wednesday

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well done, Skyler. He's on to the quarterfinal against Albin.

The last eight:

Spain (2) Alcaide and Sanchez-Ruiz
Austria (2) Ouschan and Lechner
Kuwait (1) Al-Shaheen
Hungary (1) Szolnoki
United States (1) Woodward
Poand (1) Kaplan

Bring it on! Good luck to these fine players.

BlueRaider

Registered

Randomness and rolls don't tell the entire story. Look at recent winners of this event in particular. All 800+ Fargo Rate.

Gorst: 818
Filler: 826
Biado: 812
Ouschan: 806
Ko Pin Yi: 818
Niels: 812

The runner-ups were also 800+.

Chang: 822
Biado: 812
Garcia: 800
SVB (twice): 828

Of course, given the remaining field, we are likely to see a sub-800 winner for the first time in a long time (no idea what Thorsten or Darren's Fargos were when they won in 2013 and 2012).

It seems that being 800+ skill level is the best way to ensure you at least get a fair shake at taking home the title, but it's no guarantee.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

his stance looked good to me.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think how rock solid the Taiwanese play, they would've dominated this event. Too bad they couldn't participate.
I'm inclined to disagree. In the last sixteen, to be successful, you need to know how to grind and win the racks that have to be fought for. Nobody does it like the Filipinos, and if the stars of the Philippines had been here and in form, I strongly believe that one of them would have snapped off this event.