World Pool Masters (22-25 May2021) Winner $25K

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wasn't the pockets fault, it went in hard and hit the backside of the 3 ball causing it to bounce back out. It happens on all tables from time to time
Some pocket designs are better than others. A mesh leather pocket is very unlikely to have that happen. I think Diamond drop pockets are also better by design.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
No need to apologize for being argumentative. I appreciate your opinion more than any other on this forum, which I have actually told you in person, though I doubt you remember a brief conversation at a Paigow table.
Thank you for your kind words.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nice win for Skyler over Alcaide. Just as at the World Cup of Pool, the defending champion failed to win even one match. As the saying goes, The more thins change .....

By the way, I liked Skyler's decision to play safe on the eight in the final rack. With a possible double kiss on the bank and super-tight pockets, he was willing to concede a tough chance to David. That's high percentage pool in my books.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice win for Skyler over Alcaide. Just as at the World Cup of Pool, the defending champion failed to win even one match. As the saying goes, The more thins change .....

By the way, I liked Skyler's decision to play safe on the eight in the final rack. With a possible double kiss on the bank and super-tight pockets, he was willing to concede a tough chance to David. That's high percentage pool in my books.
It took some guts to give Alcaide the bank that won him the previous Master’s. On the other hand, it was a serious mental error by Skyler on the previous shot to get in that spot.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It took some guts to give Alcaide the bank that won him the previous Master’s. On the other hand, it was a serious mental error by Skyler on the previous shot to get in that spot.
Agreed 100% that he backed himself into a corner there for sure, but with a 6-4 lead, it's a little different than double hill, and Skyler stuck to the percentages, which led to victory. He really played a nice match.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody in their right mind would suggest that Josh executes at a level of Alex, Efren, or Orcullo, but as he has already shown that he sees so much of what they see at such a young age, he has a chance to be one of the game's greatest tactical players if he tidies up his tactical execution a bit. We'll see if he gets there.
All the top players do an admirable job of executing the shots they select, but the greatest tacticians show a) slightly better defensive angle management, b) slightly better speed selection and control, c) slightly better downside management when playing both offense and defense, and d) slightly better choices with respect to object ball placement.

thanks stu. now, I'm even more excited to see how josh develops :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
thanks stu. now, I'm even more excited to see how josh develops :)
Yeah, the truth is that you can never know. but I think his ventures into the world of serious one pocket will help him refine his already impressive speed control and help him get to the next level as a tactician.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, the truth is that you can never know. but I think his ventures into the world of serious one pocket will help him refine his already impressive speed control and help him get to the next level as a tactician.
it's true talent doesn't always translate into success, but josh's already very accomplished in his short career- it will be fun to see how far he can take it.
agree it bodes well for him that he's not afraid to take on a challenge, and mix it up outside the typical- personally, I'm keen to watch him in 1p games!

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB just delivered one of the best shots of the entire tournament, using a paper thin cut on the one to open up the clustered two and three, following it with a runout, so he's got a 5-4 lead now.

I didn’t believe it was possibly to get that much spin to grab off the rail on that thin of a cut. He widened that out beyond belief.

True. But it’s worth noting that I was shocked at Skyler’s choice to power draw to get onto the 8. I couldn’t fathom why he wouldn’t opt to leave a flat shallow angle on the 8. I felt like that was a nice contrasting example of not playing the percentages.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True. But it’s worth noting that I was shocked at Skyler’s choice to power draw to get onto the 8. I couldn’t fathom why he wouldn’t opt to leave a flat shallow angle on the 8. I felt like that was a nice contrasting example of not playing the percentages.

complete brain fart. aside from that sky played very well. after alcaide missed i don't think he ever saw an open ball, he was effectively shut out

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 3 has 3 good matchups (Shaw v Niels, Gorst v SVB, Kaci v Shaw/Niels) but as we know good matchups does not always = good matches :)
Right now, Max "Hannibal" Lechner trails Mieszko "The Butcher" Fortunski 3-5 in a gory matchup

mon1 - Copy.JPG

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Max Lechner is a European Tyler Styer
Couldn't agree less. Max is much stronger than Tyler.

Lechner shoots a little straighter and is a far better tactician. Tyler's only advantage would be the break, even though Max breaks pretty well. Based on Fargo, Lechner is 792 and Styer is 754. suggesting a major mismatch. I'm betting on Lechner every time if they hook up, especially if they play on the tight equipment found at this World Pool Masters. In a long race, I think Lechner would crush Tyler.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Very well played match played by both Fortunski and Lechner. Neither had much trouble with these tight pockets. Lechner prevailed 7-5 but he had to work very hard for it.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couldn't agree less. Max is much stronger than Tyler.

Lechner shoots a little straighter and is a far better tactician. Tyler's only advantage would be the break, even though Max breaks pretty well. Based on Fargo, Lechner is 792 and Styer is 754. suggesting a major mismatch. I'm betting on Lechner every time if they hook up, especially if they play on the tight equipment found at this World Pool Masters. In a long race, I think Lechner would crush Tyler.

I agree.

I was speaking mostly in terms of play style and looks.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First upset of tournament as Grabe knocks out a bookmark favorite Albin. 1 upset after 13 matches is stingy compared to World Cup of Pool. 4 inch pockets this event probably has something to do with it.

Reactions: sjm