WORLD POOL (nineball) CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 April2022), UK, Winner $60K

kling&allen

Registered
Yes, she has offered an endless parade of platitudes and offers no insight of any kind into the game. I'm giving her a chance, though, and perhaps she'll do better in upcoming sessions.

Agreed. I think it's a good effort by Matchroom to expand their commentary and better fill time between matches. The production has been stellar this year (editing, lighting, etc). But maybe they should find someone with a pool background.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 3 Morning session (8 April) 11am UK time

day3 morning.JPG

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remaining players:

16 have ratings 800+
38 have ratings 775+
55 have ratings 750+

Pia Filler is clearly the odd competitor out. Her rating (641) is 80 points lower than the next lowest player still alive, Nicholas de Leon (721).

Pia has the two biggest upsets of the tournament so far:
Code:
93 points: Pia Filler (641) def. Bashar Hussein Abdulmajeed (734), 9-6
93 points: Pia Filler (641) def. Ivan Meng Li (734), 9-3             
89 points: Ali Al Obaidli (711) def. Skyler Woodward (800), 9-8      
79 points: Eylul Kibaroglu (682) def. Michael Schneider (761), 9-8   
75 points: Daniel Schneider (724) def. Chang Yu-Lung (799), 9-3

Reactions: sjm

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Agreed. I think it's a good effort by Matchroom to expand their commentary and better fill time between matches. The production has been stellar this year (editing, lighting, etc). But maybe they should find someone with a pool background.
I can see how a performance coach could add some valuable analysis. Coaching and sports psychology can be sport agnostic. But I would have expected her to be discussing things like body language and routines and other aspects of psychology. It just seems like she isn’t paying attention or is distracted by too things to be able to give useful feedback and analysis.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Remaining players:

16 have ratings 800+
38 have ratings 775+
55 have ratings 750+

Pia Filler is clearly the odd competitor out. Her rating (641) is 80 points lower than the next lowest player still alive, Nicholas de Leon (721).

Code:
I would love to see Pia beat Josh.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Considering they always seem to find the right match to show glimpses of at the right time and that no other event producer has ever transitioned so effortlessly from match to match, it's clear that they understand exactly what fans want to see and don't need pool gurus to do the camera or production work. Perhaps a couple of better camera angles would bring their grade from "A" to "A+", but this is nitpicking.

More than anyone else, Matchroom understands what viewers are looking for when they watch pro tournament play. First and foremost, fans want an event that runs on schedule and they want matches in which the play keeps moving. Nine ball, no call shot format, golden breaks count, and shot clock on every table are four things that make sure that things stay on schedule and that the play keeps moving along. Add this to all the live look-ins when other matches in progress get really interesting, and it's crystal clear that Matchroom's video offering is the most fan friendly form of rotation pool ever seen in our sport.

Every other event producer should be taking notes any time Matchroom produces an event.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Remaining players:

16 have ratings 800+
38 have ratings 775+
55 have ratings 750+

Code:
Some nice data there. Thanks. Wow, only one player under 720 reached the last 64. That's pretty shocking, but it sets thing up well for Stage 2 and there won't be many easy draws from this point forward.

Couldn't be happier for Pia Filler, the only woman to reach Stage 2. Well done!

Wishing the best of luck to the last 64.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they aren't making my data job easier with the two-stage brackets and name changes ;)

Bahram Lotfy became Bahram Lofty
Hsie Chia Chen became Hsieh Chia-Chen
Elliott Sanderson became Elliot Sanderson
Michal Gavinciak became Michal Gavenciak
Pin-Yi Ko became Ko Pin Yi

Help a guy out here 😆

Toughest first-round elimination matches by highest combined Fargo rating:
Code:
1627: Joshua Filler (829) vs. Sanjin Pehlivanovic (798)       
1614: Niels Feijen (810) vs. Quoc Hoang Duong (804)       
1608: Francisco Sanchez Ruiz (822) vs. Thorsten Hohmann (786)       
1596: Ko Ping Chung (816) vs. Ronald Regli (780)       
1593: Shane Van Boening (830) vs. Bahram Lofty (763)

Lowest combined Fargo rating:
Code:
1515: Ralf Souquet (791) vs. Daniel Schneider (724)       
1510: Mickey Krause (745) vs. Moritz Neuhausen (765)       
1507: Robbie Capito (754) vs. Abdullah Alyousef (753)       
1498: Shane Wolford (742) vs. Masato Yoshioka (756)       
1444: Mario He (803) vs. Pia Filler (641)

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Jayson had an interesting comment. He said something to the effect that "everybody is running out. You can be playing great, and still have to sit and watch 4 or 5 games in a row".

if everyone is running out, obviously the break is the most important shot...I would love to see the template go away if it at least adds a little more variation to the games.

i agree, but the big pockets are another factor here. they're like buckets for the likes of filler, ruiz, shaw. i don't mind diamond tables but they should have gone with the pocket dimensions of world pool masters, mosconi etc.

the template will go away in the latter stages so that's good. there's an argument for using it in the early stages - it speeds things up and, just as with the players, not all refs are top professionals..

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Teams Reigning European Champion country Finland had 4 players enter the tournament. Srage 2 and 4 still in! Go Finland!
Only downside is that Makkonen is playing against Casper Matikainen in last 64..

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Teams Reigning European Champion country Finland had 4 players enter the tournament. Srage 2 and 4 still in! Go Finland!
Only downside is that Makkonen is playing against Casper Matikainen in last 64..
Same with Austria, 4/4 in last 64.
Finland has 5,5 million ppl and Austria 9 milion. :D

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Considering they always seem to find the right match to show glimpses of at the right time and that no other event producer has ever transitioned so effortlessly from match to match, it's clear that they understand exactly what fans want to see and don't need pool gurus to do the camera or production work. Perhaps a couple of better camera angles would bring their grade from "A" to "A+", but this is nitpicking.

More than anyone else, Matchroom understands what viewers are looking for when they watch pro tournament play. First and foremost, fans want an event that runs on schedule and they want matches in which the play keeps moving. Nine ball, no call shot format, golden breaks count, and shot clock on every table are four things that make sure that things stay on schedule and that the play keeps moving along. Add this to all the live look-ins when other matches in progress get really interesting, and it's crystal clear that Matchroom's video offering is the most fan friendly form of rotation pool ever seen in our sport.

Every other event producer should be taking notes any time Matchroom produces an event.
Sounds just like the way we produced tournaments 30 and 40 years ago ;). Winner breaks 9-Ball, races to eleven and two hour time frames. Almost all matches finished on time for the next round, with one or two slow players (always the same guys) having to be prodded to speed up their play. The arenas (hotel ballrooms) were packed with fans and we typically had seating for several hundred people. The crowd was rooted to their seats and cheered hard for their favorites. I always liked when a rowdy crowd would grow dead silent before an important shot. Ahh, the good old days. Yes, Matchroom's got that part right.

Just watched the opening game of the match between Thorsten and Tyler on youtube. Good old fashioned 9-Ball and they must have gone eight or nine innings of safeties to start the very first game. I loved it, wish I was doing the commentary for that match.

Haven't been watching the matches live but have followed the results each day. It feels like almost anyone (Pia?) can beat anyone else on a given day. That makes these matches more interesting. Yes, there are favorites, but they are all vulnerable. I think Pia's been stalling, probably looking for a bet. :D

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Just watched the opening game of the match between Thorsten and Tyler on youtube. Good old fashioned 9-Ball and they must have gone eight or nine innings of safeties to start the very first game. I loved it, wish I was doing the commentary for that match.

Notice Jay how you highlight the appeal of tactical game over just watching runouts which becomes boring after a while. 9-ball on a speedy cloth with a template is a poor version of pool. The idea of a compulsory push-out as a first shot of every rack is what I tend to like a lot, but doubtful we will ever see such a change.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

and someone recently said Accu-Stats was and has been the 'Gold Standard' in streaming. Lol! AS is a 2 and MR a 9.8

There is no confusion on which ball is which on this stream.

PS- i realize that MR controlling the production makes a big difference but not on the 'picture'.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
and someone recently said Accu-Stats was and has been the 'Gold Standard' in streaming. Lol! AS is a 2 and MR a 9.8
Actually, Accu-stats do a great job with camera angles and Julian may be the best director around. It's on the production and general presentation end that Matchroom is crushing it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sounds just like the way we produced tournaments 30 and 40 years ago ;). Winner breaks 9-Ball, races to eleven and two hour time frames. Almost all matches finished on time for the next round, with one or two slow players (always the same guys) having to be prodded to speed up their play. The arenas (hotel ballrooms) were packed with fans and we typically had seating for several hundred people. The crowd was rooted to their seats and cheered hard for their favorites. I always liked when a rowdy crowd would grow dead silent before an important shot. Ahh, the good old days. Yes, Matchroom's got that part right.

Haven't been watching the matches live but have followed the results each day. It feels like almost anyone (Pia?) can beat anyone else on a given day. That makes these matches more interesting. Yes, there are favorites, but they are all vulnerable. I think Pia's been stalling, probably looking for a bet. :D
Well said, Jay.

Yes, I miss the days of events being played in the grand ballrooms of hotels where the arenas made you feel like you were at a real sporting event. As an example, the final rounds of the BCA Open at the Riviera used to be played in an arena that seated over 1,000 people and every seat was filled. As you say, Matchroom seems to have recaptured the energy level of those days.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big names and seeds are falling. Kaci knocked out by lesser know Lo Ho Sum who also eliminated Alcaide yesterday.
Little Ko about to be eliminated was down 2-10 now 4-10 may be too little too late for Little Ko

The old folks gang Darren, Ralf, Mika are rocking all thru to last 32, they are gate crashing this pool party.:D
Filler is shaky in dogfight with Sanjin 8-8
More seeds will fall as they play down to last 16 end of today.

day 3 morning.jpg

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slight change in racking -from tomorrow last 16 round, magic rack will not be used
rules.JPG

Sessions time
timetable.JPG