WORLD POOL (nineball) CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 April2022), UK, Winner $60K

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
My daughter & her hubby live in Tea, South Dakota...neither her or her hubby play...but I did just suggest they both go to the place Shane owns and say something like: "My Dad says the guy who owns this place is a pretty good pool player."

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His path was incredibly tough but also cathartic I’m sure. Shane was sitting in his chair ready to go home early and then Mika missed that long cut. And now, 8 racks in a row in that match and victories over 4 consecutive 800+ Fargo Rate opponents later, he’s finally world champion.
If you noticed after Mika’s miss Shane went to the table with his glove off. Won that game and then put it back on.
The rest is history.

loggerhead12

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
In the last rack, Albin jumped at the 2, knocked it off the table and scratched. Did I miss where they spotted the 2 after that? Shane set up BIH on the 3 and they played on.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Karl also brought up an interesting point to having bonuses for highest B&R for the tournament and/or running out a match. Emily sort of deflected the idea stating that this would be considered once everything is standardized and the dust has settled.
That's a nice idea, and the reply doesn't seem to glue well together. The prize in question is for a single given tournament. We'd expect that for that single tournament everything is 'standardized'. No need for that to be compared to any other event (maybe that's where they are aiming at eventually, hence the hesitation thus far?) The only thing is that if MR continue switching between templates and triangles for ball racking, there have to be two separate bonuses at a tournament, for two sets of equipment that influences the B&Rs.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, Albin did get to the table several times after it was 6-5, even made 2 balls on the break in Game 12 and a ball on a jump in the last game, but you're essentially right in that he never had a good open shot. He did play safe on a very difficult short cut to the side pocket in Game 13; it was a poor safety and Shane ran out.
So I was correct. :)
With the score 6-5 Albin, Shane took over in game 12 and Albin did not return to the table until the score was 12-6 Shane. I am not "essentially right," I am 100% right!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's in Buckinghamshire, a bit northwest of London, just over an hour away by car.

Milton Keynes is not famous for pool, but Bletchley Park is found in Milton Keynes and I have visited. Bletchley Park is where the work that led to the breaking of the German ENIGMA code took place. The effort, led by Alan Turing, is celebrated in a superb film of just a few years ago called "The Imitation Game".

In short, Milton Keynes is already on the map.
Only an hour away from London. That causes me to question why very few people showed up to watch. Maybe they don't have the fan base for Pool (other than the MC) like they do for Snooker. Or maybe that's what they are trying to create with all the tournaments beng planned over there.

BlueRaider

Registered
Earlier in this thread I said SVB may not win another major. I think after today, he's going to win at least one more, and maybe multiple. That match against Mika may end up being the difference between him fizzling out around age 40 and him continuing to rack up deep finishes and a few more titles well into his 40s. I think he dug deep and found something in himself that he didn't know still existed. People have commented that Shane lacked the "fire" he had earlier in his career for a while now, but it was on full display in Milton Keynes once the comeback was on against the Iceman.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earlier in this thread I said SVB may not win another major. I think after today, he's going to win at least one more, and maybe multiple. That match against Mika may end up being the difference between him fizzling out around age 40 and him continuing to rack up deep finishes and a few more titles well into his 40s. I think he dug deep and found something in himself that he didn't know still existed. People have commented that Shane lacked the "fire" he had earlier in his career for a while now, but it was on full display in Milton Keynes once the comeback was on against the Iceman.
I have only one thing to add. Can we stop calling him "The South Dakota Kid?" I don't see a kid out there. I do see a man who is an excellent pool player. And a very mature man at that!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the last rack, Albin jumped at the 2, knocked it off the table and scratched. Did I miss where they spotted the 2 after that? Shane set up BIH on the 3 and they played on.
Actually Albin made the two ball on the jump shot and the cue ball followed into the same corner pocket.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I was correct. :)
With the score 6-5 Albin, Shane took over in game 12 and Albin did not return to the table until the score was 12-6 Shane. I am not "essentially right," I am 100% right!
No, not 100% right. Here's more info (more than my previous "several times") on Ouschan's visits to the table after the score was 6-5 in his favor and before the final game.

Game 12 -- 2 visits, the break shot and safety, and a later kick shot​
Game 13 -- 2 visits, both safeties​
Game 15 -- 2 visits, both kicks​
[Guess I should not have mentioned the last game in my previous response, but I did tell you about Ouschan's poor safety in Game 13, a shot that was key in his undoing. But, as I said, you were "essentially right in that he never had a good open shot" after it was 6-5.]

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Only an hour away from London. That causes me to question why very few people showed up to watch. Maybe they don't have the fan base for Pool (other than the MC) like they do for Snooker. Or maybe that's what they are trying to create with all the tournaments beng planned over there.
The case history is important here, Jay. In 2020, the Mosconi Cup scheduled for Alexandra Palace was rendered impossible by a COVID-related mandate covering London that shut down Alexandra Palace.

The Mosconi looked dead in the water, but Matchroom pulled a rabbit out of its hat and saved the 2020 Mosconi. They did it by setting up an existing arena in Milton Keynes for pool and by staging the event in a bubble without fans. About six months later, London was still unavailable for staging a large event due to still-existing COVID restrictions, so the 2021 World Pool Championships was, similarly, produced in Milton Keynes again, as Milton Keynes had proven itself as a suitable venue for pool.

Alexandra Palace reopened on time to have the 2021 Mosconi Cup there.

I have no idea whether it is Matchroom's intent to continue staging the WPC at the arena in Milton Keynes or to move it to London or elsewhere, but the point is that the move to Milton Keynes came of necessity and not necessarily as a strategic move.

Last edited: