Worst and best cue you have ever used

Just off the wall question. What was the worst cue you ever played with. For me it would be a eastpoint that my friend bought from Walmart after I told him not to. Talk about a deflection shaft lol my cheap Taiwan house cue that was free hit better. And best would be a throw up of my friends lucasi custom or his George balibushki. I didn't play with them long enough to know witch was better as they were his show case cue that he doesn't really ever play with witch is funny to me as they were made to be used

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worst, a Chinese fake McDermott house cue made to look like a Duff with the window on the butt with a little shamrock in it. And stamped McDermott 10oz mid way. It has a hollow sound when used it even sounds ugly. I'm going to use it as a bridge stick.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Worst: A 3-piece Adams cue (my first cue ever).

Best: A tie between a Paul Mottey (which was my playing cue for about 10 years), and a James White (my current playing cue).

Nah, it was something my dad found at a junk shop or something.
Good I saw one on eBay the other day and was dumb founded. I'm not going to lie though I have a cue some1 said was a old viper but to my looks like an import and it plays and feels better than my Viking or brunswick so if it is an import they can be good

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My Nick Varner model Falcon is the one I like best of all the cues I've ever hit with. It's about thirty years old and I still have it.

Worst by far was a K-Mart cue I used at a friend's house. The tip had to be screwed on and it came off a couple of times during the game. About a fifteen dollar cue, and not nearly worth it.

My Nick Varner model Falcon is the one I like best of all the cues I've ever hit with. It's about thirty years old and I still have it.

Worst by far was a K-Mart cue I used at a friend's house. The tip had to be screwed on and it came off a couple of times during the game. About a fifteen dollar cue, and not nearly worth it.
Love the old cues myself and the Kmart one was probably the same one my friend got if I had to guess was it silver

Greg M

Worst: Must've been some old rack cue in college. One of those cheapo €20 Argos cues with a centre-joint, a crap tip and loads of lacquer.

Best: My custom Peradon. One-piece, 57", 9mm, 17.5oz. Thing feels and hits like a dream.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never owned a really bad cue.

I have shot balls with quite a few, but they weren’t mine.

Of all the cues I have owned, I would have to say my old Cuetec that I got for free may be the “worst”, but even it isn’t terrible.

I think the first ebony 4-point cue that Richard Black made for me in 1978 may have been my best playing cue. However, that is subjective because I was playing the best pool of my life at that time while in the Philippines.

All of the cues that I have are good-playing cues. Some are productions and some are custom. Some are wood and others are carbon fiber.

I lived in Taiwan when they first started exporting all those cheap cues to the US. I could have bought them for next to nothing, but I wouldn’t have taken one even if it were for free.

My friend exported thousands of them to the US, where they were sold in Sears, JC Penney’s, etc.

I have quite a few cues in the closet (A.E Schmidt, Murray Tucker, Mike Pancerny, Mike Gulyassy, John Chaplin - Coos Cues, McDermott, Adam Japan, Players, Cuetec, and several more), but the cues I have carried with me to the pool halls on my last few times are my Becue and one of my Jackpots. Of those two, I have played with the Jackpot almost exclusively in the last half-dozen trips. That cue will play along with the best of cues. It is a fun little cue to play with...point and shoot.

Last edited:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just off the wall question. What was the worst cue you ever played with. {Snip}
I’d travel and go into pool rooms and play with off-the-rack cues. This included bars. I’d first just look at the tip and try and find one that wasn’t down to the ferrule or on an ill-fitting ferrule. Sometimes, you had to take a warped cue and decent tip as the best combination.

So, the trick was to be sure the warp was going North or South and not East or West while stroking. Forget about spin; stick with centerball and add follow or draw, just be sure to get the North-South warp going in the correct direction.

I’d say those cues were the worst.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Although it was technically not a cue but I once played a game for $20 using a branch that an old guy used as a walking stick. The branch was about four feet long and two inches around on the bottom. The stick was about 1/2 inch around on the end that would be put on the ground when walking. I used the narrow end to hit the cue ball but there was about a 40 degree bend to it two inches down from the tip that had been mushroomed out from grinding on the ground.

The guy that I was betting, was the worst player I think I have ever played. Due to the dog leg where my bridge hand was it was impossible to stroke the cue and most my attempts resulted in miscues. The game lasted nearly 45 minutes and I eventually made the 8 ball and won. A game and a cue I will never forget.

Although it was technically not a cue but I once played a game for $20 using a branch that an old guy used as a walking stick. The branch was about four feet long and two inches around on the bottom. The stick was about 1/2 inch around on the end that would be put on the ground when walking. I used the narrow end to hit the cue ball but there was about a 40 degree bend to it two inches down from the tip that had been mushroomed out from grinding on the ground.

The guy that I was betting, was the worst player I think I have ever played. Due to the dog leg where my bridge hand was it was impossible to stroke the cue and most my attempts resulted in miscues. The game lasted nearly 45 minutes and I eventually made the 8 ball and won. A game and a cue I will never forget.
That's great a great story. I've never thought a match could last 45min. I mean I've had a 10min match where the rules were every ball needed to be 2 railed lol. He definitely should not have put any money up