Worst or gayest pool things ever

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
sky.. said:
Except that "pool players" really did mean pool players from the beginning, while "Gay" was of a different meaning and got jacked by homosexuals.

No, they didn't hi-jack the term, it was in-fact in disuse for centuries. The homosexual meaning of gay came from its cousin word, pleasure. The word gay really means happy. The Spanish influence to the English language added a very interesting dimension to the word gay, that is romance. Sexual pleasure is associated with romance. Pleasure is almost equated to happiness. And homosexuals for a very long time is considered as pure earthly pleasure seekers, thus the association.

"The current 'gay' which is still not recognized by the Royal Academy of Galician in its dictionary, also came from Latin. The etimology seems to be 'gaudium' (happy, gay) an adjective very common in French and in Occitan- especially in the Middle Ages. The solution "gai-e' of galo-romance also passed to English, keeping the following initial meanings a person filled with happiness or disposed to happiness (in connection with this idea would also be such names as "folle'(crazy), 'louca", 'loca' (fool), a person interesed in pleasure or an 'evil' life-style, and a conceited person. On seeing the other associations, it is not surprising that 'gay' soon became associated to the term 'homosexual' in English. This name would fall into disuse for centuries until the contemporary homosexual movement would take it to mean the conscious, liberated homosexual.

There are, therefore, some of the widely used names in Europe. We can see that the most common and popular arise from a type of associations generated by the patriarchal system in order to stigmatize homosexuality in a manner more or less indirect."
-- Carlos Valcarcel, Indiana University

Last edited:

9 on the snap

Budweiser fears me
Silver Member
sky.. said:
Except that "pool players" really did mean pool players from the beginning, while "Gay" was of a different meaning and got jacked by homosexuals.

Jacked by homosexuals? I think everyone can agree that that is gay.

I think everyone will agree that the 9-ball rack is very gay also.

gregory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bastian said:
So who's 'Gregory' and why did he leave me negative rep for this thread? With no comment? If I've offended, somehow, I'd like to know why or how. I would like to hear how my 'free will' ideology could be offensive. If it seriously upset someone enough to leave negative rep, then there must be something I'm not considering.. any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

I gave you negative rep because I am sick of people applying the term "pc" in a pegorative manner to dismiss arguments against oppressive words or actions. People who oppose racism/sexism/homophobia/etc. are not being "pc," they are reacting from an anti-oppression standpoint. To label these concerns "pc" is to refuse to accept and acknowledge their validity, and to excuse racism/sexism/homophobia/etc.

I did not comment here before since this is not NPR forum so I didn't think it was appropriate. I certainly did not find your comments as offensive as Seymour's, but when people use the term "pc" as a blanket condemnation against people with an anti-oppression analysis, I get upset.

I just saw your comment about "f that negative rep came from a homophob, though, I'm fine with it." Funny how it was Prog8r who gave you the + rep for that post, as he comes off as very homophobic in this thread

Last edited:

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Who cares that gay people took the word gay? I don't think anyone misses it. I'd be more concerned that they stole the rainbow. Everyone, straight or gay, should be able to entitled to enjoy rainbows if they want to. LOL. :p :D

EDIT: P.S. This is not meant as an anti-gay post in any way, so I hope it is taken in the light-hearted manner in which it was intended. :)

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:
Who cares that gay people took the word gay? I don't think anyone misses it. I'd be more concerned that they stole the rainbow. Everyone, straight or gay, should be able to entitled to enjoy rainbows if they want to. LOL. :p :D

EDIT: P.S. This is not meant as an anti-gay post in any way, so I hope it is taken in the light-hearted manner in which it was intended. :)

I thought the Rainbow Coalition also includes Christian Churches, NAACP and other organizations of minority campaigning for basic human rights?

Last edited:

Inzombiac

Silver Member
woahbcool.jpg

this goes for a lot of people

I love pool

....that is all...

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
I'm tempted to suggest you try out that philosophy with a field trip to Harlem and some "I'll say what I want" experimentation with a certain word starting with N, but I don't want you to get hurt, nor do I want the fine residents of Harlem to be subjected to such a thing.

Some of y'all need to stop being so defensive about your use of offensive language, and instead STOP USING OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE. Of course you're entitled to your right to free speech, but just because your speech has guaranteed freedom doesn't mean there aren't things you shouldn't say, and it doesn't mean that someone who points out to you why you shouldn't say something is infringing on your rights. Sometimes, as in this case, they're just talking sense.

-Andrew

There is absolutely no combination of words, written or spoken, that can EVER justify assult in my opinion. It's unfortunate that there are so many idiots out there who act otherwise...

I feel as if the real problem isn't being addressed by cleaning up MY use of language. Now, I do make some attempt to avoid conflicts like this--but I don't think that it should be my responsibility. My responsibility is to not take offense to what others say, and I act accordingly by not assulting them.

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
crosseyedjoe said:
I thought the Rainbow Coalition also includes Christian Churches, NAACP and other organizations of minority campaigning for basic human rights?

It was just a tongue-in-cheek comment really, but I stand corrected.

That being said, when you see a rainbow on a car, or on a shirt, doesn't it generally send the message that the person is gay? Don't get me wrong, I don't think any less of a person for being gay. I just say, hey, a rainbow, I guess that person is gay. That's all.

So, the half of my comment that was serious was, I just don't want to send a direct message that I am gay if I am not. When I had an ear piercing in only one ear, I got the left one pierced for that reason instead of choosing randomly.

Anyway, am I even allowed to be talking about this? LOL.

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
gregory said:
I gave you negative rep because I am sick of people applying the term "pc" in a pegorative manner to dismiss arguments against oppressive words or actions. People who oppose racism/sexism/homophobia/etc. are not being "pc," they are reacting from an anti-oppression standpoint. To label these concerns "pc" is to refuse to accept and acknowledge their validity, and to excuse racism/sexism/homophobia/etc.

I did not comment here before since this is not NPR forum so I didn't think it was appropriate. I certainly did not find your comments as offensive as Seymour's, but when people use the term "pc" as a blanket condemnation against people with an anti-oppression analysis, I get upset.

I just saw your comment about "f that negative rep came from a homophob, though, I'm fine with it." Funny how it was Prog8r who gave you the + rep for that post, as he comes off as very homophobic in this thread

Beleifs are beleifs, man. As far as I am concerned it is everyone's RIGHT to be racist/sexist/homowhatever. That certainly does not make it RIGHT, but it's just a beleif.

I'm not against any of these people, they don't even cross my mind. I have far more important things to worry about; like myself, for example.

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
gregory said:

Well my intention was certainly not to excuse racism, sexism, or homophobia.. In fact I am adamently against all three of them, each for different reasons.

I sincerely apologize for giving that impression, and for upsetting you with my post.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:
That being said, when you see a rainbow on a car, or on a shirt, doesn't it generally send the message that the person is gay? Don't get me wrong, I don't think any less of a person for being gay. I just say, hey, a rainbow, I guess that person is gay. That's all.

I'm afraid to ask, LOL. In my previous work site, there is a guy that drives a Hummer with Gators flags all over, and yes, his ride has a raindow sticker. The dude is a lawyer and about 6'4", linebacker built.

You're probably just gonna shut your mouth too 'cause he might just be representing err ... legally -- the group.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I Feel Good All Under..... TOO

jgpool said:
How do you know you got a pedicure? You probably felt someone playing with your toes:eek: :eek: . But how did you confirm you got your monies worth with no visual? :D

My wife was in the next chair getting one at the same time (her girl was cuter than mine).... and SHE told me that I got one.
Doug
( man, this candy apple red polish is BRIGHT on my toes.... imo )

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
As I have always said

Smorgass Bored said:
My wife was in the next chair getting one at the same time (her girl was cuter than mine).... and SHE told me that I got one.
Doug
( man, this candy apple red polish is BRIGHT on my toes.... imo )

The family that peds together stays together. Did you foot the bill? :D

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I Look Simply MARVELOUS

jgpool said:
The family that peds together stays together. Did you foot the bill? :D

Certainly I footed the bill. I know how to toe the line. You sound like a jealous heel.
Doug
( I'm thinking of going out and getting arrested, just to find some others that will admire my bright red polish and my perfect feet & ears........... and my beautiful blue eyes ) :)

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Nose!

Smorgass Bored said:
Certainly I footed the bill. I know how to toe the line. You sound like a jealous heel.
Doug
( I'm thinking of going out and getting arrested, just to find some others that will admire my bright red polish and my perfect feet & ears........... and my beautiful blue eyes ) :)

Don't forget that cute nose! You know how they run in your family! :eek:

Charlie D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PROG8R said:
OK,

Hold on a minute, why did this get me a negative rep point? I should get + rep points if anything for trying to help disolve the situation.
I thought I was fairly PC in trying to explain the issue, maybe it was the abreviation I used, that is pitty man.
Please forgive me, in another thread I apologized to Hal for not thanking him for a green rep. If I thank a person for a green rep, what do I do for a red rep:) Charlie D

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
Depends on the reason! I don't understand why people would give negative rep for a dissenting opinion.. to think an entire online community would consist of only people who think the same way you do is rather niave.

girlwon1

Silver Member
Using the word "felt" instead of cloth. Pool tables are covered with cloth, such as Simonis cloth, Mali cloth, etc. Tables are recovered with cloth, not "refelted" with "felt".