Would love to buy a diamond pool ball cleaner

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course you're right, but yours would sure look good with my table...:)
It looks good with mine too!

52269876034_f0f94f42c0_h.jpg

RazaXML

for about $200 in total parts i made a close replica of the diamond polisher. For $350 I made a dual platter (dual motor).

So yes I can confirm that $200 can get you in the range if you have the means, and tools to build your own. I was able to achieve this because the motors are direct drive, so no need for the bearings, pulleys, and belts that go along with that, and I also 3d printed my own sprockets and 10 inch rings. Just those 2 factors saves close to $150 in parts per platter...

Last edited:

RazaXML

Here's the breakdown of the costs from my earlier post. I originally made 3 single platter cleaners about a year ago and this is the break down per unit cost. The case btw is made with 1/2 mdf which when painted properly comes out just fine.

dual-cost.jpg

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I worked at different pool halls that had bludworth machines. The inner guide tends to pop up.
I looked at ballstar at different pool halls. They work smoothly. I bought one. Took a long time. Everyone was out of stock. Finally got one from pooldawg. I am extremely happy with the performance. I use their cleaner. Does a really nice job. I would order extra cleaner at time of purchase.

Someone made a cleaner for me out of a bucket and a car polisher. With out a way to separate the balls I felt there was a lot of damage to the balls banging around.
The diamond looks good. I chose the ballstar because of the size. If you have the room I think you can’t go wrong with ballstar or diamond.
If you are going to the super billiards expo you may be able to get one and avoid shipping. Pool dawg did not charge me shipping.
I've had a set of balls ruined by blue mishap.

Somebody was smart enough to engineer such mishaps away with the diamond, wasn't he?

Happy diamond owner here.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to add my 2 cents, but yes you can buy materials which makes the per unit (single platter) price below $200. I originally made 3 of these about a year ago and this is the break down per unit cost. Case btw is made with 1/2 mdf which when painted properly comes out just fine.

View attachment 698368
Data dork alert!

Nice visual. Fact goes a long way when applied to choices!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Somebody was smart enough to engineer such mishaps away with the diamond, wasn't he?

I’m in the process of replacing the pads on my Diamond with felt - then it will be awesome. Not a fan of the pads they currently use.

RazaXML

Outstanding!! Direct drive off the motors or belts/pulleys? What motors did you use? Revolving platters or revolving sprockets? What does it weigh?
Direct drive so no need for belts and pulleys.
The motors are an ebay find. They are very quiet, and variable speed/high torque. They spin up to 450 rpm which is good for a polisher
Platters (12 inch) rotate with a 1 inch offset from the center of the ring.
Total weight for the single platter is probably about 20-30 pounds, dual platter prob around 30-40... Never weighed them though

Last edited:

RazaXML

All that being said, I still agree just buying an original Diamond polisher is a good deal regardless of the pricetag. Once you start using it you will 100% justify the purchase and as was said earlier, you will have zero buyers remorse. You can't beat the performance of the design, and you'll save dozens of hours in design and build time. Unless you like that sort of thing like dorks like me and rexus...

sddale2001

Registered
All that being said, I still agree just buying an original Diamond polisher is a good deal regardless of the pricetag. Once you start using it you will 100% justify the purchase and as was said earlier, you will have zero buyers remorse. You can't beat the performance of the design, and you'll save dozens of hours in design and build time. Unless you like that sort of thing like dorks like me and rexus...
I love my Diamond dual polisher but your's looks really nice. Add some color to it and it would really stand out. Great work!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

This is exactly the reason that I did not mind spending $500 on a great ball polisher. The 4 sets of balls that I have add up to $1300, why take a chance on a "mishap" that could potentially cost me more than double the polisher. I always have 3 sets of freshly polished balls ready to use with another pretty clean set in the table. That gives me a total investment of under $3k for a modernized Gold Crown, matching light, and a Diamond polisher (floor standing double sided Brunswick cue rack and original Hoppe Titlist too that came with the table)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m in the process of replacing the pads on my Diamond with felt - then it will be awesome. Not a fan of the pads they currently use.
Mine is prob due a change too.

Interested in how your change works out, presumably the felt will be much thinner than oem liner?

Mine has gotten a bit louder over time and I'm informed it is because the carpet has changed height, lower in the channel the balls creat as they spin.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris, just get a microfiber bonnet for the platter (keep the original carpet on) and change out the carpet on the wall of the opening with some pile carpet using carpet tape to attach it to the lid, not velcro. If you use the Velcro, it will make everything too tight due to the difference in thickness of the Diamond supplied carpet and pile carpet. Use the sprocket as is.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris, just get a microfiber bonnet for the platter (keep the original carpet on) and change out the carpet on the wall of the opening with some pile carpet using carpet tape to attach it to the lid, not velcro. If you use the Velcro, it will make everything too tight due to the difference in thickness of the Diamond supplied carpet and pile carpet. Use the sprocket as is.

My plan is to change out the felt on all three surfaces – the platter, the walls and the sprockets. When in use, all three come in contact with the balls, so it would not make sense to not change out the pads on all of them.

The difference in the luster a set of identical balls has after a spin in my 27 year old Bludworth polisher lined with felt pads versus my current new Diamond polisher pads that came with my unit is huge, with the Bludworth polished balls looking way better.

Obviously, the felt pads will get dirtier sooner and need replacing more often, but I can deal with that.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My plan is to change out the felt on all three surfaces – the platter, the walls and the sprockets. When in use, all three come in contact with the balls, so it would not make sense to not change out the pads on all of them.

The difference in the luster a set of identical balls has after a spin in my 27 year old Bludworth polisher lined with felt pads versus my current new Diamond polisher pads that came with my unit is huge, with the Bludworth polished balls looking way better.

Obviously, the felt pads will get dirtier sooner and need replacing more often, but I can deal with that.
Cool, just making a recommendation based on the R&D I did while building my unit. I also switched my cleaning solution from Tiger Products Ball Cleaning Solution to a custom mix of 2 tablespoons Aramith Ball Cleaner to 8 ounces 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. This cleans the balls well, leaving them shiny but not slick. Very much like a set fresh out of the box. It also doesn't gum up the cleaning surfaces on the machine.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
custom mix of 2 tablespoons Aramith Ball Cleaner to 8 ounces 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. This cleans the balls well, leaving them shiny but not slick. Very much like a set fresh out of the box. It also doesn't gum up the cleaning surfaces on the machine.
Going to try this. Currently using Brillianze…