Would This Make You Angry?

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
That just sounds... wrong. Most tournaments where I live, they're either on barboxes (and the players drop the quarters) or there's no table time charges if we're using normal sized tables. Some larger payout tournaments might have green fees (5 or 10 bucks) but no one's "on the clock".

It sounds to me like this particular owner is a greedy weasel. You could bring up a different system to cover table time - a green fee - but chances are, he likes things just the way they are - especially when he plays. :/

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
I live on the west coast...I think it's safe to say that most people who live out here have played in weekly tournaments where loser pays time.

What part of the west coast? I've never heard of this before. It would definitely make me angry. I would not play the tourneys there anymore.

The place I play usually there's a greens fee, free warm-up for leagues and tourneys. And $3/hr from 11:30-3 if you're a league player.

Cheers,
RC

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
paying for table time is one thing BUT the owner definately took advantage of this.he screwed u over.:mad:

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
table time for tournaments?

I live in Northern California.....specifically the San Francisco Bay Area....I have never heard of paying table time for tournaments in any of the 7-8 pool rooms I've played in.....and that's as far north as Cotati, and south to Mountain View....So if it's on the West Coast, I don't think it's in Northern California....how 'bout the Southern California rooms? Anybody?

cuechick

Flys In the Kitchen
Silver Member
I have seen this practice of loser paying table time at some tourneys I played in the L.A. area, at House of Billiards in the Valley and at Hollywood Billiards.
I was going to say before he said it, that it might be a west coast thing...but obviously depneds where...

T

Timberly

Gregg said:
Only because you didn't mention it...did you say anyting to the poolhall owner about how you felt about this before bringing it here?
He didn't do any damage by "bringing it here". He went out of his way to make sure that the name of the place & it's location wasn't mentioned.

One of my pet peeves on here is when people hiding behind screen names start naming others and talking badly about them. I have no problem with this thread. He ran into a situation and asked for opinions on the situation by only giving the necessary details.

Cue, I wouldn't play in it anymore. Start playing in the other tournaments at the other pool rooms. (I've been around pool on & off for 15 yrs from SC to TX to PA and I've yet to come across a tourney where the loser pays table time. ;) )

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolSleuth said:
Ha cuetechasaurus did you know all the ins, outs, and pitfalls before playing? Or was this bad news sprung on you as you were eliminated from the tournment???????????

:confused: Not far off from my original comment.

tk_it_ez

Bet against me
Silver Member
I think some of you are missing Cue's point. He does not seem to be upset about the idea of the loser paying for the table time. If everyone in the tournament is okay with it then there is no real problem with doing it that way. What he is upset about is that it cost him $21 in table time when playing the owner instead of the $5-10 it usually costs.

In my opinion, the owner was stalling. It may have been to throw off your game or to rack up the table time. My opinion is for you to try asking around, be as subtle as possible, to see if anyone else has had this problem when they played the owner. If so, this may be a good time to get some people together and see if you can switch it over to the greens fee style. Or if not, at least cap the table time to a max. Explain to the tournament director or owner that it is not really fair for the loser to pay all the table time if it is the winner that was stalling the entire night and racking up the time. The biggest thing is to take all the emotion out of it. Explain it to them as a plain, logical business decision.

If that doesn't work, don't play in the tournament again. Or if you can beat the owner, next time make it about an 8-10 hour match. Take about 20 bathroom breaks. Sink a ball, go to the bathroom, sink a ball, go get a drink, sink a ball, smoke a cig before you shoot again, sink a ball, and go to the bathroom again. Just make sure you win or bring in a ringer to beat him. At the end of the match, just say "now we are even for last time you ran up the table time on me" That should get the point across. Of course it might also get you banned so on the other hand.....

Try to get the tournament changed and forget about the extra money you spent, say something to the owner and get comped some table time, or quit playing in the tournament. And yes I would be pissed off if I were in that situation.

Good luck,
Nathan

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
tk_it_ez said:
At the end of the match, just say "now we are even for last time you ran up the table time on me" That should get the point across. Of course it might also get you banned so on the other hand.....

This tit for tat stuff won't work with this kind of guy. Getting banned is the last thing I'd worry about. People who pull this sort of thing tend to feel mighty confident about themselves. I've heard of not a few stories that have ended on a tragic note. I'd not try to pull anything on him, just speak with him straight out, and if he doesn't come around, just chalk it up to experience and tell him Adios. And be sure to tell the whole world about it, and that includes us on here! Names, please, I want names!

Flex

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
table time

wow!!! you must be playing in a cave?/ there is no table time in pool tourny, your playing in times as old as your beard!!!1 your room oner is getting over on you, ask him to show you a tourny where you pay table time??? green fee--yes---- use quarters---yes table time NO how many players how much table time each???i have been runing tourny a my place for 7yr charge only green fee STICK:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is toooo unbelieveable

I have been playing in tournaments on the "West Coast" for 50 years and have never seen a pay your table time ever. You refuse to name these rip off pool rooms that are ripping you off because you are afraid of repercussions? You cannot insult a geographical area and leave it at that, it is not fair to us room owners that do not ever charge table time. The West Coast is a large area and to charge table time for tournament play is an insult to all of us. So I will put it in the following way so as not to put you in jeopardy.

Mr. Cuetechasarus:

I am planning on traveling up and down the West Coast to play in as many tournaments as I can. Would you please let me know what tournaments you are aware of in your area and give me the names and locations and their tournament protocol. Your cooperationn would be appreciated.
Thank You
Dick Cady
Proprietor Fast Eddy's Billiards, Capitola, Ca.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
nfty9er: i wondered how long till someone called him on this. good luck on your road trip :D

-s

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
steev said:
nfty9er: i wondered how long till someone called him on this. good luck on your road trip :D

-s

The question asked by Mr. Cady is transparent. If Cue doens't want to divulge which room it is for whatever reason, that's fine by me. If he does share it with us, I'd be willing to call the room and ask them if what's been related here is accurate, and if so, whether they hope to attract those who haven't yet played in their tournament....

Flex

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Loser pays time is far more common in three cushion events, and was always the case in the weekly tournaments at Carom Cafe in Queens, NY. I never had a problem with it, and wouldn't have a problem with it in a pool tournament.

Still, under these circumstances, I'd complain. I'd suggest politely that I should not be required to pay for all the idle time caused by the owner. Do so with diplomacy and there's a pretty good chance the table time will be reduced. If the table time is not adjusted, you'll know the room proprietor is a little lacking in business ethics.

It's then up to you to decide whether to return.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nfty9er said:
I have been playing in tournaments on the "West Coast" for 50 years and have never seen a pay your table time ever. You refuse to name these rip off pool rooms that are ripping you off because you are afraid of repercussions? You cannot insult a geographical area and leave it at that, it is not fair to us room owners that do not ever charge table time. The West Coast is a large area and to charge table time for tournament play is an insult to all of us. So I will put it in the following way so as not to put you in jeopardy.

Mr. Cuetechasarus:

I am planning on traveling up and down the West Coast to play in as many tournaments as I can. Would you please let me know what tournaments you are aware of in your area and give me the names and locations and their tournament protocol. Your cooperationn would be appreciated.
Thank You
Dick Cady
Proprietor Fast Eddy's Billiards, Capitola, Ca.

LOL so you think people who might be planning a trip to the west coast, would read this thread and say "Nah, I don't wanna go to the west coast, I heard that in a couple of poolrooms out there they make you pay the table time if you lose in a weekly tournament!"

Cooperation? All you have to do is ask about the format of a tournament before you go to a poolhall you've never been to before. You don't need my cooperation.

The point of my thread is asking whether you would be mad about what my opponent did during the match. Paying table time if you lose doesn't bother me.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a weekly event in Baltimore, Top Hat Cue Club, Sunday, that is a loser pays table time format. It is a great tourney, w/ 1st place often in excess of $250 (IIRC, $10 to get in).

shayla

BODY - MIND - SOUL
Silver Member
I've never heard of paying table time in a tournament, and it surely wouldn't fly here in Texas!

I hope you are playing in a single elimination tournament!! :)

And yes, if I was playing the owner and he pulled that crap on me, I'd have some words.

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
table time

The way it`s usualy done in the Pa. area is, if we add money to a tournament then losers pay the table time to recoup some of our money since we dont have food or booze to help out. When no money is added we take money out of the entrys for green fees. and anything we are doing is always posted or on a flyer sent out.
As a room owner, if they are playing me in a tourney or any other time they get a discount and only pay for themselves.