Would you be willing to dress nice to raise the opinion of billiards?

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Women suffrage and all that...you know, history. Have you had any history?

So we should try to do what worked in the old days and not allow women in pool halls anymore. Cause what worked in the past should work today. Like dressing up for pool. Gotcha.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Golf? Duh.

Um, in professional golf. but you started this thread about amateurs. Don't change the game just to win the argument.

U.S. Senator Kirk is coming to our HQ on Thursday (ok, so our company has a little pull ;) We won't be having casual day that day.

But there is a time and place, and shooting pool, drinking beer and such is not the time to dress up... geez,

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Oh, not this lame argument about folks dress is the cause of pool problems or that if we dressed nicer, it might help.
Folks fly on airplanes in shorts and sandals. Folks go to nice restaurants wearing a ball cap, jeans and a t-shirt, and many folks won't even put on a tie or even a suit jacket for a funeral, and we want them to "gussy" up to shoot a few racks :eek::eek:
Folks pay $5 at work for the opportunity to wear jeans to work instead of dress clothes, usually about twice a month. The money goes to local charity. And almost everyone does it. 4K employees in our building. Friday is always casual day, no charge.
C'mon guys, we need better ideas than this for pool. Society is on "causal day" now, it might change again some day, but that's the way it is now, whether you agree with it or not.
And no, I will continue to wear jeans, cap and t-shirt to shoot pool, it's a sport, NOT a wedding ;)

You know, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with this assessment.
Furthermore, those old timey guys in the photos aren't dressed up. That was normal everyday attire for those times. :)

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, times have changed. Men used to wear suits and fitted hats all the time and only kids wore ball caps off the baseball field, often turned backwards. Today it's different. There's no denying that.

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aw yes, the good old days of pocket billiards. Way before APA, magic racks, and any pro tours at all. When pool halls were filled with pure larceny and homeless people escaping the weather. The only people playing for "fun" were the little kids who snuck in through the back hoping to get a few racks in before they were ran out, and men were expected to gamble at the table. Aw, the good old days. :grin:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Thomas,
I don't see ONE woman amongst all of those men from yesteryear's photo of pool. We probably have more women today playing pool than they did back in the day. That being said I try to dress "neat" but I really like playing in blue jeans. I try playing in other trousers because they look better than jeans, but I feel like they aren't, I don't know for lack of a better word, "rugged" enough.

Everyone should try to wear nice clothing but it is the tournament promoters who make the rules so I abide by the rules of the event.

JoeyA

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
How are the pros going to be able to afford nice threads with those prize funds? :shakehead:

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For regular, day to day play in the pool hall, who cares? I always dress well when I go out, simply because I don't see the point in dressing like everyone else in my area.

Now, when it come to professional events or events with a large number of pros, and you're streaming it, I think a dress code of "professional" attire should be required. Especially if you are charging for it. Nothing like paying top dollar for a stream, and the players look like bums straight outta Compton.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dear leader wears a tie....just saying.....:grin-square:

Attachments

• imagesCAAPEUD1.jpg
    imagesCAAPEUD1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 288

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
Women?

Hell, where I play there's more gals than guys anyway. And I like the clothes they wear because it gives me more to ogle. Just yesterday I had a girl ask me, "Wanna play for something?" She didn't even ask for a spot. I had to decline though because all she had to pay me with was pot.

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would wear what the dress code would be for the establishment.

You can go to certain hotels or restaurants and they have dress codes. It is to bring in certain clientele. If you want to see people dressed a certain way, then the owner of the business can do so. If I wanted to go to this place and associate with that type of individual, then yes, I would wear the required clothing.

I feel pool is more a game more than a sport. Anyone who can eat tacos and drink scotch and still play the game, I don't consider an athlete. Far from it.

A person can be overweight, and have now athletic physique and play this game.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is silly.
Do you see swimmers dressed in suits?
Since when did dress code affect rep of a sport ?
:D

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
This was a hypothetical question, I don't dress nice to play pool unless I still have my work slacks on sometimes. I sure don't wear a suit or tie, ever. But I will admit, when I watch some of the matches on youtube between pros and one of them (or both) are dressed like total slobs, it doesn't give me a good impression of the sport. Snooker on the other hand....

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Dress nice for pool

NO..........
I play for fun, blue jeans and tee shirt and ball cap works just fine.
In less I am doing a funeral a the pool parlor.

But we do have one bar the clothing is optional;)

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
This was a hypothetical question, I don't dress nice to play pool unless I still have my work slacks on sometimes. I sure don't wear a suit or tie, ever. But I will admit, when I watch some of the matches on youtube between pros and one of them (or both) are dressed like total slobs, it doesn't give me a good impression of the sport. Snooker on the other hand....

When I see snooker, I wonder if they have a valet job later that night. They look silly in my opinion. I mean, they would look great if they were currently doing something that was extremely formal like a wedding or award ceremony...

0,,13165~10202895,00.jpg