WPBA Rankings don't look right

Wyoming Will

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
facets58 said:
Wyoming Will, How many events are you using? Four events is not enough to give an accurate ranking.

I'm using the same four events the WPBA is using. There are two issues here. The first issue is whether to have a Year-To-Date point system or not. The second issue is the number of points awarded per place. Personally, I don't care if they start at zero on January 1 or if they're always looking back a year. What I believe is most important is that first place is worth significantly more than 9th place and right now, it isn't. Allison Fisher won two of four events this year. No point system in the world should have her ranked anything less than 2nd.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
But, I'll Keep Playing As Long As They'll Have Me

facets58 said:
Wyoming Will, How many events are you using? Four events is not enough to give an accurate ranking.

hmmmm, I don't know. Four marriages got ME a 5th place ranking.

Doug
(like Grady, I no longer get invited) :)

facets58

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wyoming Will said:
What I believe is most important is that first place is worth significantly more than 9th place
good point Wyoming Will

Just a little bit of important info.

Allison has won 6 of the last 10 events. She is currently ranked 6th

Allison's last 10 tournaments
1st - 6 times
2nd - 1 times
5th - 2 times
49th - 1 times

facets58

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other players to win in the last 10 events:

Allison 6
Kelly Fisher 2
Karen Corr 1
Xiao-Ting Pan 1

Most recent

1. Kelly Fisher Oklahoma
2. Allison Fisher
3. Xiao-Ting Pan
4. Allison Fisher
5. Allison Fisher
6. Allison Fisher
7. Allison Fisher
8. Karen Corr
9. Allison Fisher
10. Kelly Fisher

Last edited:

facets58

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is how the rankings looked just prior to when matches started in OK last week.

For the ranking list: For last year I used full point values for all events (no benefit if you won all the way to the reseeded rounds) with the US Open at 1.5 times point value.

1 Allison Fisher_____43250
2 Ga-Young Kim_____35250
3 Kelly Fisher_____32500
4 Karen Corr_____32250
5 Xiao-Ting Pan_____31250
6 Monica Webb_____26750
7 Sarah Ellerby_____26500
8 Gerda Hofstatter_____26000
9 Anna Kostanian_____25250
10 Helena Thornfeldt_____24000
11 Jasmine Ouschan_____22750
12 Jeanette Lee_____22350
13 Vivian Villarreal_____21250
14 Julie Kelly_____20000
15 Kim Shaw _____19100
16 Dawn Hopkins_____18500
17 Tiffany Nelson_____18500

The 8000 point lead Allison would have held with 9 tournaments, the 10th would be Oaklahoma. is now 3975 pts behind the new #1.

Kelly had a great tournament and so did Iris & Yu Ram Cha, this is not meant to take anything away from the players who had breakout tournaments. This is a ranking list issue. The #1 ranked player should not drop from #1 to #6, she won 6 of the last 7 events.

Last edited:

av84fun

Banned
Wyoming Will said:
I'm using the same four events the WPBA is using. There are two issues here. The first issue is whether to have a Year-To-Date point system or not. The second issue is the number of points awarded per place. Personally, I don't care if they start at zero on January 1 or if they're always looking back a year. What I believe is most important is that first place is worth significantly more than 9th place and right now, it isn't. Allison Fisher won two of four events this year. No point system in the world should have her ranked anything less than 2nd.[/QUOTE]

I FULLY agree that the scale of points should NOT be linear and that there should be at least a 1.5-1 relationship from on place to the next.

I don't think it should be more than that because, with 64 places, it is a BIG DEAL to finish 2nd and is not, say, only 1/3 of the achievement of finishing 1st.

I am conflicted about whether the so-called "majors" should have more points that any other. Truth be told, there are pretty much the same players in all events and they don't let the "grass grow" like they do at the U.S. Open gold matches!

Personally, I think it should all be about prize money winnings.

Regards,
Jim

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
facets58 said:
good point Wyoming Will

Just a little bit of important info.

Allison has won 6 of the last 10 events. She is currently ranked 6th

Allison's last 10 tournaments
1st - 6 times
2nd - 1 times
5th - 2 times
49th - 1 times

This is really all that matters to me. When trying to separate the elite from each other, excellence is measured in titles.

Of the last eight WPBA events (and eight tournaments is a year on the tour), Allison Fisher has won five, Kelly Fisher has won one, and Xiaoting Pan and Karen Corr have also won one.

Not only would it be difficult to argue that anybody else is #1, but the statement that Allison is dominating the WPBA tour is indisputably accurate.

facets58

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
This is really all that matters to me. When trying to separate the elite from each other, excellence is measured in titles.

Of the last eight WPBA events (and eight tournaments is a year on the tour), Allison Fisher has won five, Kelly Fisher has won one, and Xiaoting Pan and Karen Corr have also won one.

Not only would it be difficult to argue that anybody else is #1, but the statement that Allison is dominating the WPBA tour is indisputably accurate.

Tap Tap, I knew that would get you out of your chair. Hi Stu

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
facets58 said:
Below is a quote from the WPBA Homepage.

"WE HAVE A NEW #1 RANKED PLAYER - KELLY FISHER
It'd didn't matter if Kelly won the finals or not, she had earned enough points to move into the #1 position just ahead of Karen Corr. Allison Fisher will drop to the #6 position while Ga Young Kim and Xiaoting Pan are tied for 4rd, Sarah Ellerby is 5th"

I'm not even going to start about how bad the new structure is, the lack of respect shown to ALL the top players is evident at this event.

Allison has won 2 of the 4 events this year and is ranked 5th...disgraceful, how can an organization be that short sided... This has to be one of the worst ideas ever for the WPBA.

The World Golf Rankings go off of a minimum 40 events over a 2 year period. The average events played for the top 50 players is about 52 events (26 per year)

http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/rankings/default.sps

The WPBA rankings that I came up with are as follows.
BTW it is very shortsided to have your events count for so little.

Two full years on the WPBA tour (16 events) is barely enough to establish an accurate ranking list.

Allison is still #1 based on an accurate ranking list. The new one is very inconsistant at best.

1. Kelly Fisher 15,000
2. Karen Corr 14,250
3. Xiao-Ting Pan 13,750
4. Ga-Young Kim 13,500
5. Allison Fisher 13,350
6. Sarah Elerby 12,500
7. Anna Kostanian 12,000
8. Gerda Hofstatter 11,250
9. Vivian Villarreal 10,750
10. Monica Webb 10,750

It's never too late to fix a mistake!!!
mike--

This trend of shorter/seasonal ranking instead of long term is now the most common ranking format for games with seeded players that is a match-up format. This format was first instituted by the Professional Tennis when the US Open officials were caught fixing the match-up of known players with known seed, so Agassi and Sampras meeting in the finals was very likely.

This in fact makes the ranking more significant because keeping your top ranking season after season is harder, it is also a better gauge on who is in the up/down swing over time.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I sure hope that this rankings system was NOT enacted to keep Allison out of the number one position.

Doing it over four tournaments is ludicrous and even so how could she win two of the last four and NOT be number 1?

I am so happy for Kelly but am incredibly dissapointed that attaining the number one position comes at the expense of controversey.

One thing I will say in Kelly Fisher's defense, both under the new and old system, is that she is incredibly consistent. Beside Karen and Allison I don't think that there is another player on the WPBA with as many top five finishes as Kelly Fisher. So like it or not, she is always there at the top always getting those steady points.

That has to count for something.

av84fun

Banned
JB Cases said:
I sure hope that this rankings system was NOT enacted to keep Allison out of the number one position.

Doing it over four tournaments is ludicrous and even so how could she win two of the last four and NOT be number 1?

I am so happy for Kelly but am incredibly dissapointed that attaining the number one position comes at the expense of controversey.

One thing I will say in Kelly Fisher's defense, both under the new and old system, is that she is incredibly consistent. Beside Karen and Allison I don't think that there is another player on the WPBA with as many top five finishes as Kelly Fisher. So like it or not, she is always there at the top always getting those steady points.

That has to count for something.

You could be right but Monica has quite a few unless I am mistaken.

Anyone know what the year-to-date prize money standings are??

Regards,
Jim

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
av84fun said:
You could be right but Monica has quite a few unless I am mistaken.

Anyone know what the year-to-date prize money standings are??

Regards,
Jim

Purses are another thing the WPBA Board feels should not be shared with it's fans anymore. First place use to be 15k /16k. I'll bet it's around 12k now. Johnnyt

Spade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think all the wpba events should be equal value. afterall its the same country and field of players each event.

definitely doesnt help Allison

cluck

Registered
WPBA ranking system

Does the WPBA post the ranking system anywhere? I searched their website with no luck. Thanks.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
cluck said:
Does the WPBA post the ranking system anywhere? I searched their website with no luck. Thanks.

Click on the May newsletter on the WPBA site. Johnnyt

Steve Ellis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB Cases said:
Well Whatever it is Kelly is finally at a place she deserves to be at!!!!

Under the new system it will be much harder to maintain a number one ranking so from this point on whoever does manage it will definitely deserve to be there.
I know you're a big Kelly fan, but don't be silly. Allison is clearly the best with Karen just barely behind her.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Ellis said:
I know you're a big Kelly fan, but don't be silly. Allison is clearly the best with Karen just barely behind her.

I agree that Allison and Karen are excellent. However, Kelly Fisher does have a strong game. I've seen her compete in several venues. She breaks 'em like Jean Balukas and has a whole lot of competitive spirit.

Though Allison and Karen may be at the peak of their respective games, I don't think the world has seen Kelly Fisher's BEST game yet. That said, maybe she's finally arrived at the tip of her peak. :)

JAM

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Allison and Karen are 1 and 2,then Kelly,Ga-Young and Xiao following.I saw that Allison wasn't number 1 and thought perhaps she was slipping,it seems the WPBA is the one that is slipping not her.Its sad that they are doing to Allison and Karen what they did to Jean.I will give credit where its due,Kelly is a great player and Ga-Young is my favorite female player but they are not Karen and Allison,they are all still young though. :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fast Lenny said:
Allison and Karen are 1 and 2,then Kelly,Ga-Young and Xiao following.I saw that Allison wasn't number 1 and thought perhaps she was slipping,it seems the WPBA is the one that is slipping not her.Its sad that they are doing to Allison and Karen what they did to Jean.I will give credit where its due,Kelly is a great player and Ga-Young is my favorite female player but they are not Karen and Allison,they are all still young though. :)

Your avatar is GREAT. What a beautiful lady you have. No wonder you like it so much in Arizona. BTW, you're kind of easy on the eyes yourself! :p ;) :smile:

JAM

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
JAM said:
Your avatar is GREAT. What a beautiful lady you have. No wonder you like it so much in Arizona. BTW, you're kind of easy on the eyes yourself! :p ;) :smile:

JAM
Thanks Jennie,you got me blushing,lol.She is great,I have known her for half her life and she is the mother of my child,has done alittle modeling too.We all love it here accept for this 115 degree heat.Anyone know when Arizona cools down? :cool: