Wraps: Let's see some unusual, rare, and even butt ugly ones....

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I have 2 to share.

The first is on a Rambow I have and the wrap is so unusual it looks like laid up fiberglass or similar but not quite. There is a seam so it may have been clam-shelled on there. I posted this a while back and found another az'er had a very similar one down in OK. Would love to know more if anyone can shed light please do.

The second is on a SW cue and was done by a top cuemaker in Germany, CEM. It's rubber and feels incredibly good in the hand. There is no way to see any seam on this one. I know for many SW fans this is sacrilege but I think it's an absolute upgrade.

All comments welcomed and please share any examples of unusual, rare or butt ugly wraps you might have.

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Brunswick-carom-king-forearm.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-forearm.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 843
  • Brunswick-carom-king-nameplate.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-nameplate.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 830
  • Brunswick-carom-king-wrap-seam.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-wrap-seam.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 840
  • SW-pau-purp-full.jpg
    SW-pau-purp-full.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 822
  • SW-pau-purp-wrap.jpg
    SW-pau-purp-wrap.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wish I had a picture..... a friend had a cheap import cue w the wrap off. He took $1 bills and wrapped the recessed area and clear shellacked over it all!
Butt ugly? You bet!

middleofnowhere

Registered
The winner hands down would be Jack Justis. I think he used to build fishing rods and he did "Diamond Wraps" later he did them on pool cues and they had to be seen to be believed. I was surprised a google search could not find one maybe Jack can post a picture.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, yeah... I'm calling a foul here. If you're gonna come up with all this arcane, "impossible to find" sh*t, and then have everyone go "Damn, son, where do you FIND all this arcane, impossible-to-find-sh*t???", you cannot have the National Security Agency finding it for you. Have some self respect, man... do your own legwork! :duck:

200.gif

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 to share.

The first is on a Rambow I have and the wrap is so unusual it looks like laid up fiberglass or similar but not quite. There is a seam so it may have been clam-shelled on there. I posted this a while back and found another az'er had a very similar one down in OK. Would love to know more if anyone can shed light please do.

best,
brian kc

That appears to be modern Sky Blue Pearl wrap (plastic) used by drum companies such as Ludwig, Slingerland, and Gretsch etc.in the fifties/sixties and forward. The pattern varied over the years. Hard to tell for sure without seeing the other side of the cue but this looks to be a later version from the seventies.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
That appears to be modern Sky Blue Pearl wrap (plastic) used by drum companies such as Ludwig, Slingerland, and Gretsch etc.in the fifties/sixties and forward. The pattern varied over the years. Hard to tell for sure without seeing the other side of the cue but this looks to be a later version from the seventies.

hi Jay;

thanks for sharing that possibility. I'll post the other side of it below.

please note that it's not sky blue color but rather gray (or silver).

When this was listed for sale on ebay some years back, the seller (cue owner's grandson) took such terrible phone pics that I, and I'm sure many others, thought it was duct tape. Also, you could barely make out that there was a pearl nameplate. I contacted him requesting better pics and then I knew it was a special cue and poss a Rambow.

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Brunswick-carom-king-sticker.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-sticker.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 318
  • Brunswick-carom-king-wrap-closeup.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-wrap-closeup.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 322

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi Jay;

thanks for sharing that possibility. I'll post the other side of it below.

please note that it's not sky blue color but rather gray (or silver).

best,
brian kc

I would guarantee that is drum wrap known as Sky Blue Pearl. All drum wraps fade and SBP turns grey, sometimes to an extreme..

Attachments

• SBP - a - DELETE.JPG
    SBP - a - DELETE.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 318
  • SBP - b - DELETE.JPG
    SBP - b - DELETE.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 315

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When this was listed for sale on ebay some years back, the seller (cue owner's grandson) took such terrible phone pics that I, and I'm sure many others, thought it was duct tape.

This is the "duct tape" cue?

I think I remember that. LOL! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
This is the "duct tape" cue?

I think I remember that. LOL! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

guesstimating the eBay listing was maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

as I said the phone pics were so bad you really couldn't tell much but there was just enough to get my attn and the case that went with it (also poor pics) appeared to be one of the old Brunswick fishing pole conversion cases from the early 40's which def further raised my curiosity.

The case turned out to be in spectacular condition worth quite a bit all by itself.

poor pics and description made for a great find way under value. There were no bids at the $400 starting price.

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• 1942-Brunswick-case-back-seam.jpg
    1942-Brunswick-case-back-seam.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 303
  • 1942-Brunswick-case-top-close.jpg
    1942-Brunswick-case-top-close.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 1942-Brunswick-case-full.jpg
    1942-Brunswick-case-full.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 301
  • 1942-Brunswick-case-handle-top.jpg
    1942-Brunswick-case-handle-top.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 295
  • 1942-Brunswick-case-nametag-window-2.jpg
    1942-Brunswick-case-nametag-window-2.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I would guarantee that is drum wrap known as Sky Blue Pearl. All drum wraps fade and SBP turns grey, sometimes to an extreme..

Jay;

man that sure does look just like it, or r-e-a-l close.

thanks again for this helpful clue. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc