Wrong Ball

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought that was what I said.
Yeah I read it and I understood it. You're just too much of a coward to actually say it.

Now do you see why they call me buck shot? It's because I'm not subtle, I get the job done, and it ain't always pretty.

Now enough with the personal attacks. If you disagree with me that's fine. If you want to have a discussion like adults we can do that. If you want to get mean and nasty and get personal, I can do that too. .

If you can't do that, just put me on ignore. That won't hurt my feelings either.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, I was referring to a situation where I as TD happen to clearly be in a position to witness a shot in question even though I wasn’t asked by either player to judge it, and after the shot the 2 players have different opinions as to whether it was a foul. Am I still supposed to stay out of it and let the players settle it, even if it ends up being settled incorrectly?
That's a completely different scenario. As TD if you see something take place (an obvious foul in this case), you have an obligation to speak up, whether asked or not. You must have 100% certainty to do this. I was there when Shane called a four railer and made it two rails. I was not the TD, but I think Kenny was ref'ing that match and immediately called it correctly - no point. If you're unsure about what took place, then remain quiet. In the case of someone shooting at the wrong ball, you cannot step in and warn them. You must let it play out.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
What I meant was is Matchroom has made up their mind. There's No Going back, they're not going to change it. All the whining, crying, complaining, and bitching are not going to change it. You do have to respect Emily for standing her ground and sticking with her decision instead of being some kind of politician and changing her mind depending on which way the wind blows.
Standing her ground? How about being woman enough to admit she made a mistake? That I would respect.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a completely different scenario. As TD if you see something take place (an obvious foul in this case), you have an obligation to speak up, whether asked or not. You must have 100% certainty to do this. I was there when Shane called a four railer and made it two rails. I was not the TD, but I think Kenny was ref'ing that match and immediately called it correctly - no point. If you're unsure about what took place, then remain quiet. In the case of someone shooting at the wrong ball, you cannot step in and warn them. You must let it play out.
I agree - only one player should be able to speak up to tell someone they are about to shoot the wrong ball or to tell someone they forgot to mark up their game.

That one player is the opponent, even though as has already been discussed in length here, there is certainly no obligation or expectation to do so, and not doing so shouldn’t be considered as poor sportsmanship.

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't blame Shane, but I will say this: I was playing Chris Reinhold (then Robinson) at the Derby 4 or 5 years ago. We were tied 7-7 in a race to nine. I was about to hit the wrong ball and he kindly pointed it out to me without fanfare. He is a true gentleman. He ended up winning 9-8 and I would have felt bad had I won. Chris is probably the nicest pool player I have ever met.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Standing her ground? How about being woman enough to admit she made a mistake? That I would respect.
Valid point. Matchroom works in a multi national environment. They wont be making decisions to please just the US.

I do agree I would rather see the traditional ball colors. But it just isnt that big a deal to some of us. At least they didnt go with the Camouflage set!

I also see it as it is "her" company. She can and will run it as she sees fit. The final product determines their success. Despite any perceived faults they may exhibit, such as ball color, they have a good final product that will take them well into the future.

CaptainBly

Registered
I emailed Aramith to see if you could get the black set with an orange 5 ball. Here is the response.
Thank you for your e.mail.

The Aramith Tournament BLACK set is only available in specific colors. You can learn more about this here : https://www.aramith.com/story-behind-aramith-tournament-black-colours

However we have recently developed a set of 2 BLACK balls : the #5 and #13 in orange color so that you can enjoy the unique BLACK look with the usual Aramith TV colors.
thumbnail.png

thumbnail

Thank you for your interest in our products and best regards.

ARAMITH - BELGIUM
So it is possible?!!

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could have been injured by that. You're witticism is almost sharp enough to cut warm butter.

Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I didn't contribute. I gave my opinion. If you don't agree with it that's fine. But as for the personal tax, you can just fuck off
I liked your post and totally agree. :)

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To poolplayer4....

I've had some time to review our interaction and reflect on my lousy couple of weeks. I can see where I may have sounded snotty in my original post to you. It was Saturday, I was at work for the third weekend in a row, it's deer season, the leaves are popping brilliant with colors, and I would rather be in the woods. So I kind of took it out on you. I issue a public apology.

RT Ford

The purple 5 ball got him:
I once shot the wrong ball during a match because of it's color. I've always thought that pocket billiard balls should be a standard color. People are always trying to change things that should be left alone. They tried to change the PayDay candy bar numerous times over the years, but so many people complained, the manufacturers returned to the original 1932 recipe.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not that it applies to this situation, but the WPA equipment specs cover the colors of the balls:

A complete set of pool balls consists of one white cue ball and fifteen color-coded, numbered object balls. The object balls are clearly and highly visibly numbered 1 through 15. Each object ball has its number printed twice, opposite each other, one of the two numbers upside down, black on a white round background. The object balls numbered 1 through 8 have solid colors as follows: 1=yellow, 2=blue, 3=red, 4=purple, 5=orange, 6=green, 7=maroon and 8=black. The object balls numbered 9 through 15 are white with a centered band of color as follows: 9=yellow, 10=blue, 11=red, 12=purple, 13=orange, 14=green and 15=maroon. The two printed numbers 6 and 9 are underscored.

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To poolplayer4....

I've had some time to review our interaction and reflect on my lousy couple of weeks. I can see where I may have sounded snotty in my original post to you. It was Saturday, I was at work for the third weekend in a row, it's deer season, the leaves are popping brilliant with colors, and I would rather be in the woods. So I kind of took it out on you. I issue a public apology.
Thanks. I sent you the private message hoping we could keep things more positive and I appreciate your respectful response. We are both obviously passionate about pool and I look forward to benefiting from your views. Best.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've shot the wrong ball with traditional colored sets. :ROFLMAO:

I have shot the wrong ball, forgotten one of my balls hidden in amongst the other player's balls playing eight ball, pretty much every mistake known to man!

I am not the Lone Ranger by any means though! I was playing one pocket with a man that had been playing pool forty or fifty years. Wrote a book about it. About halfway through a game of one pocket he swapped holes on me. Well damn, that move took care of all of the balls I had moved to my side! Idly curious I waited to see if he would figure out that he had swapped sides. He did four or five shots later. I just told him to carry on, the stakes we were playing for it didn't matter!

Anybody that has never made a duffer's mistake playing pool will lie about other things too.

Hu

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Not that it applies to this situation, but the WPA equipment specs cover the colors of the balls:

A complete set of pool balls consists of one white cue ball and fifteen color-coded, numbered object balls. The object balls are clearly and highly visibly numbered 1 through 15. Each object ball has its number printed twice, opposite each other, one of the two numbers upside down, black on a white round background. The object balls numbered 1 through 8 have solid colors as follows: 1=yellow, 2=blue, 3=red, 4=purple, 5=orange, 6=green, 7=maroon and 8=black. The object balls numbered 9 through 15 are white with a centered band of color as follows: 9=yellow, 10=blue, 11=red, 12=purple, 13=orange, 14=green and 15=maroon. The two printed numbers 6 and 9 are underscored.
I love the emphasis on the #5 ball!! @Fatboy has got to be jubilant!!

FWIW, I was playing a guy @ 9-ball right before covid... He broke, pocketed the 5-ball on the break. Pocketed the 1, then skipped the two and pocketed the 3....I pointed out the foul, he got all bent out of shape....hasn't been back since.