Wrong Ball

Tadaimarlon

The 2022 US Open was not his best outing...
He looks super nervous.. which is pretty normal since he's so young and already playing with the big boys. But a highlight reel of his mistakes is cruel.

And SVB mocking him on Facebook isn't helping either.

Attachments

• IMG_20221013_100908.jpg
    IMG_20221013_100908.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 78

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane took what was given. While unlikely, had he spoken up he could have been given a foul, even unsportsmanlike penalty for doing a very sporting thing.

Sometimes you get the breaks, sometimes the breaks get you. I think all seasoned competitors have gotten enough things favoring them and enough things harming them that they figure it all balances out in the end. I don't think there is any elite player that hasn't shot the wrong ball along the way.

All you can do is laugh and move on. Obviously Tate was taking it hard. His reaction to the shot was harder on his focus than the fubared shot. Without knowing their personal relationship I can't say if Shane's facebook post is more than ribbing a friend.

A guy I had mentored early on laid down a really sweet run with a pistol. Before he could even show clear I asked him if he always canted his gun like that. He looked at me, looked at his gun still sticking out, looked at me, started laughing. A little good natured harassment was a mark of respect between equals, we would never harass struggling shooters or those needing a bit more experience.

Hu

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He looks super nervous.. which is pretty normal since he's so young and already playing with the big boys. But a highlight reel of his mistakes is cruel.

“It’s just a joke!” The constant refrain from bullies everywhere.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post from Shane makes things worse imo and shows his true colors. If he would have said it's not my responsibility to correct him, I could understand that. But when he talks about the points and the money it shows that he made a cold intentional decision that has nothing to do with the rules. He has lost my respect for sure.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
You are typing a dream world and getting mad it isn't reality.

Have you never heard:
I'm not in the business of bargaining against myselef?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you play in tournaments you miss balls and dog it. Whoever has critical things to say about these players, such as the person who put that video of Joey missing balls together, is just stating that they don't get in the ring much themselves. They are one of the timid souls Roosevelt was talking about:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play in tournaments you miss balls and dog it. Whoever has critical things to say about these players, such as the person who put that video of Joey missing balls together, is just stating that they don't get in the ring much themselves. They are one of the timid souls Roosevelt was talking about:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
Perhaps my favorite quote of all time… 👍

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

True. He still beats 99% of the players on this forum. I think the video is lame, but I don't have a problem with the meme SVB posted since I know they laughed about it together.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom changes the balls in a way that is likely to confuse the player. The player messes up in a key situation. And now Matchroom pimps a clip of the player messing up so they can juice page views and serve ads. I won't post the link but it's the #1 video on their Facebook page.

Anything for likes, comments and shares.

stewie

Thank you! Was thinking the same. Many of these shots on that channel's videos are no picnic and some might even still be valid/successful two-way-shots.

CaptainBly

Registered
In Karls interview yesterday Emily stated how happy she was that the clip of Joey shooting the wrong ball had gone "viral" with over 30k in views compared to just around 12k for other matches. No publicity is bad. She also stated in no uncertain terms are these horrible balls going anywhere. She stated that she wants this set to be the standard "9-Ball" set all across America. Claims she will give any room that wants one a set for free. Can you imagine you are playing at your room, go to the counter to rent a table and balls. Then they ask, what game are you planning to play? Oh, maybe some 8 ball, 9 ball and a little 1- pocket. Ok, here are your 3 sets of different balls, LOL, yeah that's going to happen. I think they signed a shity contract and are stuck with them. This set will never become standard.

GentlemanJames

This post from Shane makes things worse imo and shows his true colors. If he would have said it's not my responsibility to correct him, I could understand that. But when he talks about the points and the money it shows that he made a cold intentional decision that has nothing to do with the rules. He has lost my respect for sure.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
And, if SVB had made no statements whatsoever, would you then also judge him of being cold-hearted and arrogant?

This is a competition, not a co-operative.

This is a contest, not a kumbaya.

This is a process of exclusion, not a process of inclusion.

No_one_pays_you_for_yardage.jpg

Or, as Bert Gordon said: "This game isn't like football. Nobody pays you for yardage. When you hustle you keep score real simple. The end of the game you count up your money. That's how you find out who's best. That's the only way."

And, in this case, there is potentially $50,000.00 on the line for SVB. - GJ

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Karls interview yesterday Emily stated how happy she was that the clip of Joey shooting the wrong ball had gone "viral" with over 30k in views compared to just around 12k for other matches. No publicity is bad. She also stated in no uncertain terms are these horrible balls going anywhere. She stated that she wants this set to be the standard "9-Ball" set all across America. Claims she will give any room that wants one a set for free. Can you imagine you are playing at your room, go to the counter to rent a table and balls. Then they ask, what game are you planning to play? Oh, maybe some 8 ball, 9 ball and a little 1- pocket. Ok, here are your 3 sets of different balls, LOL, yeah that's going to happen. I think they signed a shity contract and are stuck with them. This set will never become standard.
He who has the gold