WTS: Unknown Cue Looks Schon or maybe Schuler or?

Bohemian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First & foremost I would like to know if anybody recognizes who made this cue or who might have made this cue...

It has a stainless steel, piloted Schon style joint on it... the inlays are pretty darn intricate with the black pieces clearly being ebony, the inlays they are surrounding possibly being tulip wood or maybe cocobolo my best guess there; and the forearm is clearly birdeye maple...

Shaft is not a laminated shaft and pretty sure its maple or ash, again as a point of reference it looks like a schon or schuler or maybe a rambow but no identifying marks anywhere, I pulled the butt plug and did not see anything in there either...

cue is in undamaged condition and is pristine, rolls straight together & apart and has a good hit to it, very similar to a Schon, I own several Schon's and that is my playing cue by choice so that is my best point of reference, if it is a Schon or Runde I would have to date it mid to late 80's possibly early 90's...

Regardless of who made it the craftsmanship & detail is phenomenal... No way on earth its an import...

I have had it since 2001 myself.

I will consider all offers, cash or guns you pay actual USPS shipping.

Please P/M all offers.

More pictures available upon request, any anomalies or aberrations or other fubar in pictures are due to the light above my table or crapola on my cell-phone lens...

Attachments

• IMG_20120905_182609.jpg
    IMG_20120905_182609.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,180
  • IMG_20120905_182524.jpg
    IMG_20120905_182524.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,181
  • IMG_20120914_200259.jpg
    IMG_20120914_200259.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_20120914_211244.jpg
    IMG_20120914_211244.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think it looks like a Mali
Definitely not a Schon or a Schuler

I think we can definitely rule out Rambow also! lol
A better pic of the pin and joint might confirm but I'm thinking import. Maybe Lucassi or 5280 or one of those.

jdxprs

Banned
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
i have a friend that has a mcdermott from the 70's that looks VERY similar to that cue. I don't think his joint is the same though.

jmf041

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Would say its a mcdermott? But im no expert and the pin is throwing my off... Would say its a schon because they do do alot of that style of cue but then again could be anything?

Bohemian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me try to clarify further since I do not appear to have explained that my Schon, Schuler, Rambow references were as a "point of reference" because I am familiar with those cues...

The type of wood & intricate inlays clearly delineate it from a production cue...

Moreover, the styling is very similar to some very early Schon Runde/Clarke stuff or some of Ray Schuler or his mentor Herman Rambow's work... Stainless-Steel joint is more like a Schon than a Schuler/Rambow... I do not recall seeing any Schuler's/Rambows with metal joints perhaps the cuemaker was inspired by their work hard to say...

The type of wood, joint & general design can be found in numerous Schon cues, not that I am convinced it is a Schon it just appears heavily influenced in that respect...

The taper of the Shaft is consistent with the cues of the 60's-70's and early 80's...

This cue clearly pre-dates Lucassi & 5280 by a long time...
notwithstanding 5280's & Lucassi are Chinese crapola... IMHO

Don't think its a McDermott because I have never seen a McDermott joint like this one...

The cue is in magnificent condition, I am pretty sure the butt-sleeve & bumper has been replaced at one point which may explain the lack of identifying information...

I have had the cue since 2001 myself...

Attached another view of joint...

Attachments

• IMG_20120913_155641.jpg
    IMG_20120913_155641.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm not sure id this is an ID thread or a for sale thread or both, but the first sentence asks if anybody knows who made the cue.

The cue looks like none of the cues stated and has none of the features of those stated.

I am virtually certain it is an Asian import, most likely Taiwan, not Adam.

All of the features of the cue match my assessment.

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 97.9%
95   2   0
Unknown Cue age

One way to (kind of) know the general age (that is, built not after), is the one inch shorter length. Also, if the butt grip area is larger (fatter) than the current grips of production cues, that also is a sign that it was probably built before the mid-70's (+/-). F.Y.I.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I've seen something close to this before, a good shot of the bumper on and off to see how it's mounted will help. Once the bumper is off, let's see how the bumper is mounted, into a weight bolt or what. May be a photo for the cuemakers if a player can't make it out.

Bohemian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way to (kind of) know the general age (that is, built not after), is the one inch shorter length. Also, if the butt grip area is larger (fatter) than the current grips of production cues, that also is a sign that it was probably built before the mid-70's (+/-). F.Y.I.

good suggestion! this cue definitely meets that criteria...

just finished comparing it to a new Schon I have (STL-14) and a 1990's Schon I have (ST-8) its definitely shorter & fatter shaft & butt wise...

within a 1/16" of being the same dimensions as a 70's Ray Schuler I have...
my shaft is shorter... and fat & stout like this old-schooler... night & day difference from the long thin pro tapers of the last 20-25 + years...

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I'm not sure id this is an ID thread or a for sale thread or both, but the first sentence asks if anybody knows who made the cue.

The cue looks like none of the cues stated and has none of the features of those stated.

I am virtually certain it is an Asian import, most likely Taiwan, not Adam.

All of the features of the cue match my assessment.
Import for sure. Sorry, but that is what it is. Just a copied design of a higher end cue.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the joint deffinatly looks like a piloted 5/16x18 joint...

chris

Yep it's a 5/16th 18" piloted. 5/16th 18" piloted will almost always be an import copy. It's of a Schon model cue though I can't put a finger on which one. Even the ring work is incorrect for a Schon as it appears to be too thick and white rather than stainless. But that could just be the pictures. Sorry sir..but I think it is what it is. Asian Import.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Yep it's a 5/16th 18" piloted. 5/16th 18" piloted will almost always be an import copy. It's of a Schon model cue though I can't put a finger on which one. Even the ring work is incorrect for a Schon as it appears to be too thick and white rather than stainless. But that could just be the pictures. Sorry sir..but I think it is what it is. Asian Import.

I don't even think it's really a "copy". It is only loosely based on some models.

The pin is clearly and definitely Kao-Kao factory from what I can see. That makes it a Taiwan import. The joint collar also is consistent with that. The butt cap looks to be PVC, which is also consistent with that....as is the poor quality of the inlays...if they are in fact inlays. The pilot is also consistent with my assessment. The only reservation I have is fuzzy pictures, but I know these cues pretty well, probably better than most I imagine.

The time frame claimed is OK I guess, it could go back to the late eighties or some time in the nineties.

In the end, I am not claiming that I believe or that I suppose, I am claiming that I know the source of the cue, and that is what the poster asked for.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
I seem to recall seeing lots of these in the late 90s.....knock off type designs of several makers incl. Schon.

Bohemian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite my very bright table light and poor quality cell phone pix... (I will see if I can take a few that don't have so many aberrations in them)

There is nothing wrong with the inlays and they are in fact real tulip wood surrounded by ebony, with ebony insets as well...

The joint is indeed stainless steel... (again table light is so fricking bright that it is washing things out... sorry about that)

I am pretty sure the butt sleeve was replaced at some point with the delrin one that is on it now...

As for a 5/16-18 piloted stainless steel joint & or pin being the trade mark of a kao-kao or other import that is absolutely ludicrous 30 seconds in the blue book of cue values clearly depicts that "5/16-18 piloted stainless steel joint(s) & or pins" are the choice of a good deal of American Custom Cue Builders...

Notwithstanding this cue pre-dates the existence of the Kao-Kao company out of Taiwan...

IMHO the only thing that clearly would indicate a cue being a import short of clearly being marked as such would be pictorial evidence showing numerous identical or nearly identical cues from one or more foreign sources...

I have yet to find one single example of this cue or a similar example of this cue from a foreign source... or any other source for that matter...

Which leads me to believe that it is likely a old custom made cue probably a one off by somebody here in the U.S. that had an affinity for Schon/Schuler/Rambow or other similar cues...

Peace.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I didn't say that the 18 thread wasn't American. I have custom American made cues that are 18 thread. The profile of the pin is Kao-Kao. It is a common pin used by that company that I recognize.

Others have said 18 thread is Asian, I never said that. Many American makers have used 18 thread. I never said otherwise, others did but they are in error.

I never said the joint collar was not stainless steel. In fact Kao-Kao has made mostly stainless collared joints anyway.

I am not saying it's a "maybe" Asian import. I am saying it is definite. I recognize it as such.

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
What is ludicrous is someone who obviously doesnt know jack about cues won't take the opinion from those who know. You take the pic of the the butt end of the cue that showed the screwed up inlays to hide the fact it is a cheap cue. The only thing on the cue that may have come from the U. S. is maybe the tip.