WWYD 9 Ball Dec22

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's me shooting, just banging balls around. I came across this shot. I marked it with doughnuts as I knew it was tricky. I have not played it yet. How would you get on the 5 to run out? I think the CB will hook hard off the 4 and get behind the 8. I'm half thinking of cross banking the 4 to send the CB to the other end of the table, hopefully not getting stuck behind the 6/7.

1703261490617.png

1703261755667.png

1703261585037.png

1703261725636.png

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why no hi right?

Could stop near the 8 but center table side of it and take the hard cut to top R pocket... or mash it harder and get to the R rail and take a (hopefully not as) hard a cut to upper L pocket.

Of course...wheres the three?!?!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Since you've got a heavy measles ball, cue whitey about 1:30. With allot of cue ball speed, (aim to the right of the 4 ball contact point) thats because your extreme swing speed, will push the cue ball to the contact point, the speed/squirting cue ball, forces your overcut too the correct contact point on the 4 ball then. Cue ball will come 4 rails.... short/long/long/short and land on the head rail with NO chance of being hooked, plus you'll be Close to your 5 ball.
You must have a straight follow thru, this shot is not easy for a new player, likely not probable yet.

I miscued earlier, I meant 1:30 cueing sorry. 10:20 am edit.

Last edited:

HitHrdNDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your first option is the right play... try to play good speed.... not only does banking the ball make it harder to pocket, you could still get hooked by any of the 3 balls.....

the other option is following with High Inside and going 3 rails (short, long, long above side pocket) and out

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How fast is the table? Looks like you could come off it one cushion and a graze the long rail past the side pocket. Drawing around the 9 is tempting too.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since you've got a heavy measles ball, ...
A measles ball can be either heavier or lighter than the object ball, depending on which has more wear. I have seen both cases. A measles cue ball that comes with a set will be the same weight as the balls, just like pretty much every other cue ball. Here are measurements from the sticky thread about ball weights:

1703265140136.png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would play high right because it guarantees that I will not be hooked. The only question is whether the shot will come in short enough, and that depends on how sticky things are.

Trying to force the cue ball along the left side of the table with such a full hit is very problematic.. It requires precise aim and spin.

WobblyStroke

Since you've got a heavy measles ball, cue whitey about 10:30. With allot of cue ball speed, (aim to the right of the 4 ball contact point) thats because your extreme swing speed, will push the cue ball to the contact point, the speed/squirting cue ball, forces your overcut to the correct contact point on the 4 ball then. Cue ball will come 4 rails.... short/long/long/short and land on the head rail with NO chance of being hooked, plus you'll be Close to your 5 ball.
You must have a straight follow thru, this shot is not easy for a new player, likely not probable yet.
This was my initial thought once I saw the angle on the 4 in 2nd pic. It requires a super stroke to get all the way down there, but the shot u describe is def on if one has it in their arsenal. most don't tho.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here was my solution as verified in Virtual Pool, before seeing your diagrams. Medium-high center english, firm stroke. Tested some with more center ball and harder to go straight down the table all the way to the end rail near the 5, but that risks leaving too straight on the 5 and brings the corner scratch into play. This way leaves a longer shot, but it has natural roll shape on the 6.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you've got a heavy measles ball, cue whitey about 10:30. With allot of cue ball speed, (aim to the right of the 4 ball contact point) thats because your extreme swing speed, will push the cue ball to the contact point, the speed/squirting cue ball, forces your overcut to the correct contact point on the 4 ball then. Cue ball will come 4 rails.... short/long/long/short and land on the head rail with NO chance of being hooked, plus you'll be Close to your 5 ball.

While this shot is possible, ( with 1:30 not 10:30) it requires a pro level stroke and even then it's very difficult to get short enough.

I think the most effective shot is sending the CB off the short rail at the 3rd diamond above the side pocket. It will then track at the 5 on a good angle.

Less of everything.... speed, sidespin, glance, squirt.
Small chance of getting hooked and large margin of error with speed. JMO

Edit: Wow do I type slow. 5 or 6 posts I missed while typing. Sorry Island.

Last edited:

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since you've got a heavy measles ball

I have 3 Aramith measles balls, one purchased with a ball set and the other two purchased individually - two of them purchased about 10 years ago, and the other one purchased 3 months ago. They all weigh 168 grams.

Island Drive

Silver Member
While this shot is possible, ( with 1:30 not 10:30) it requires a pro level stroke and even then it's very difficult to get short enough.

I think the most effective shot is sending the CB off the short rail at the 3rd diamond above the side pocket. It will then track at the 5 on a good angle.

Less of everything.... speed, sidespin, glance, squirt.
Small chance of getting hooked and large margin of error with speed. JMO

Edit: Wow do I type slow. 5 or 6 posts I missed while typing. Sorry Island.
I got up too early today, I did re edit my initial post to 1;30 cueing. It's s high speed force follow shot.

Island Drive

Silver Member
It does and shortens the 2 rails coming out of the corner. Because the shooter must hit the 4 HARD/WITH HIGH cue ball, the collision causes a slight (left/forward movement, not really a backup/more lateral) of the cue ball before it takes off forward, thus shorting the cue ball as it comes towards the first short rail.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious about this but with a lot of shots speed has a big say in where and when the CB curves. In the last example if you're trying to go 4 rails to the 5 then there's no way the CB hooks to the short rail as shown.
How, or does, virtual pool rectify that?
Virtual Pool gets the hook right, but the shot was played slowly as shown by the final position of the cue ball. There will still be some hook at higher speed.

WobblyStroke

High speed videos show that this does not happen unless the cue ball is light.
I read his 'backup' comment as meaning that the CB initially follows the tangent line which is away from the pocket a bit and seems to 'backup' before the spin arcs it towards the pocket as shown in V.P. Don't think he actually meant the ball backs up like a light one would.

In other news... The vid of the tops was nice. The pic of the top right was unsatisfying. Guess I just gotta hit this myself tonight.