You giving the 8

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing 9ball

Their break, you giving the 8:

Where do you put it in the rack and why?

Your break, you giving the 8, that has been racked in the second row:

How do you break (direction, speed), and why?

(don't know why this displays with the 'trail of unused ball
imagery')

Thoughts, recommendations, reasons??

thanks

ps: same or different, if spot ball is 7, 6 etc? why?

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was getting the 8 from a local player, and he racking the 8 there as well. I hit the first break on the softer side with a certain cut angle, and the 8 banked dead into the opposite side pocket. This happened four times in a row on a diamond table with a normal diamond rack. He eventually switched the position. Table conditions and racking tightness may vary.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I was getting the 8 from a local player, and he racking the 8 there as well. I hit the first break on the softer side with a certain cut angle, and the 8 banked dead into the opposite side pocket. This happened four times in a row.

So he was really giving the 8 and 4 games on the wire. Awesome

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Well that's something, he racked it where he should have racked it. The 2 balls directly behind the 1 ball are the least likely to go if racked properly.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Well that's something, he racked it where he should have racked it. The 2 balls directly behind the 1 ball are the least likely to go if racked properly.

If a player favors breaking from one side, I like to put the 8-ball on the same side.

Pattern racking, gamblers have been doing it for a long time....
...nobody enjoys giving up the 5-6-7-8 and the break 'cause there's no place to put the
5-ball that isn't dangerous.

Colonel

Silver Member
If a player favors breaking from one side, I like to put the 8-ball on the same side.

Pattern racking, gamblers have been doing it for a long time....

...nobody enjoys giving up the 5-6-7-8 and the break 'cause there's no place to put the

5-ball that isn't dangerous.

I agree also if you spin the ball so the numbers 8 on the ball is aligned with the number 1 on the ball it slugs it even more.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I agree also if you spin the ball so the numbers 8 on the ball is aligned with the number 1 on the ball it slugs it even more.

I forgot about that one..:)....I think lining up the numbers worked better with older balls...
...especially the Centennials.
I suspect the modern Aramith are too good for that.

I played a lot of loser-rack one-pocket (late 70s, early 80s)...some guys would make the
4 and 12 balls the ones you had to hit on the break...it never bothered me 'cause I'm not
one of those guys who aim like they've never seen a pool table before...but sometimes
when I wanted to raise the price, I'd screw up a break and wonder aloud what happened.
....never minded seeing a little larceny in my opponents.

Colonel

Silver Member
I forgot about that one..:)....I think lining up the numbers worked better with older balls...

...especially the Centennials.

I suspect the modern Aramith are too good for that.

I played a lot of loser-rack one-pocket (late 70s, early 80s)...some guys would make the

4 and 12 balls the ones you had to hit on the break...it never bothered me 'cause I'm not

one of those guys who aim like they've never seen a pool table before...but sometimes

when I wanted to raise the price, I'd screw up a break and wonder aloud what happened.

....never minded seeing a little larceny in my opponents.

Actually it does still work with Aramiths. Fastest way to kill a dead wing ball break.

Apparently you encouraged that larceny to take full advantage of it, love the move, it confirms the old adage that you can't hustle an honest man, I like your style

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always put it at one of the two balls behind the nine ball. These two balls usually get the less movement. If he breaks from the left then I put it on the left..

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always put it at one of the two balls behind the nine ball. These two balls usually get the less movement. If he breaks from the left then I put it on the left..

This is where I put it also when the opponent is breaking.

Frank...Johnson City alumni, Wayne Norcross, recommended to me that it get racked there....been pretty good advice.

Good luck in Houston...shoot well and have fun! Sounds like it will be a great get together and tournament.:thumbup:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that's something, he racked it where he should have racked it. The 2 balls directly behind the 1 ball are the least likely to go if racked properly.[/QUOTE]

That has not been my experience::eek:

It does seem to travel and go cross side, more often than I like, so I don't put it there, with opponent breaking. Even if it doesn't go, it often will lend itself to an early combo somewhere.:angry: Often an unplanned combo.:mad::mad:

If placed there (second row) in the rack by opponent, on my break...I prefer to break from the side where the '8' resides, from close to the rail. I like a medium speed stop shot, as close to straight on to the lined up 1ball and the other second row ball, adjacent to the '8'ball, as possible.

With a tight, straight rack..the rack will spread nicely, maybe make a ball, but primarily...the '8' will move very little. The rack will peel open around the '8' as the energy moves away from and around the '8', leaving it mostly undisturbed...much like an undisturbed '9' ball, hit from straight on, with a good tight rack.

From there, generally decent shooting and table management, can result in a win..but, when giving an additional money ball...stuff happens...late game misses or mistakes are costlier, and with multiple winning balls...things can get :p'cheezier'.

What's your preferred breaking approach when opponent racks his '8' in the second row?

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is where I put it also when the opponent is breaking.

Frank...Johnson City alumni, Wayne Norcross, recommended to me that it get racked there....been pretty good advice.

Good luck in Houston...shoot well and have fun! Sounds like it will be a great get together and tournament.:thumbup:
Thank you for the well wishes in Houston. All I can do it try my best.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

All my life I put the 8 or the 7/8 behind the one ball...
...I'm going to rethink this 'cause I know you're a good source.

thanx

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only give called balls, and I put it behind the 1 on the side he prefers breaking from; its best when they alter their break trying to make the ball. People will chase the 8 so hard that they end up scratching, losing the cue ball and leaving no shot, or not sinking anything. The 8 will get close enough to the side pocket on the rail that it's out of play for easy combos a lot of times.
Then again, I'm terrible so if I'm spotting someone they're basically helpless.