Young People and Pool

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is an often lamented fact that pool's popularity is in decline. All over the country rooms are closing and pool seems like its in a death spiral. I know this may appear that I am grasping at straws, but his is an observation based the daily prevalence of it over the last 5 years. I am a school teacher by day and over the last 5 years if I catch a kid on his or her phone in class and they are playing a video game 90 percent of the time they are playing pool. To me the game still has appeal and I think generation Z is open to it.
I predict a resurgence after Covid because of isolation and people can isolate only so much but people take the game too seriously and forget to just have fun. I was that way when I was young playing pool was fun then it became serious (too obsessive) then I got burned out. Health went bad, gain lot of weight and did not play for over 7 years just did not feel like it. The isolation of Covid and getting lost in my day to day work, losing a large amount of weight made me realize how important it is to have a greater social spread. To talk to people more face to face. The game has gotten to much about winning and not so much about playing. Some little friendly competition is not bad but their is a limit. You are this(grading), I am that. Don't talk to me about my cue because it's a bother to my so important focus. GTFOOH. Play, don't be uptight, have fun don't be a brand/company click. Most people are not pro and don't care about being a pro they just want a short break from the B.S of life and have fun. For me pool has become therapy, like a time of meditation but not at the price of being anti social and a dick. Also don't be afraid to answer questions.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Partisipation Trophies are not part of Pool, it a game that is Tought. Younf generation want look off good Job's, Partisiptation Trophies, and last no stress. Many never group and move out, why would you free rent, free food, laundry & cleaning service. Girl friend can move in an s***** you PRN (frequently). great life,.
In all fairness, your generation was the one demanding and making participation trophies for the kids. I got some participation ribbon for a track and field day at school and threw it directly into the trash. I knew, even as a kid, that it meant nothing and was only there to console the losers and those too dumb to realize it wasn't any kind of award you would want.

Again, participation trophies would have never existed if your generation hadn't made them a thing, you can't blame the children for this.

EDIT: This comes from a 40 year old "millennial" with a job, a wife, and a house. It's a different world out there and most people are trying like hell to adapt to it, regardless of age. I'm not making excuses for anyone, you can pull ahead, but when you talk about the cost of living and education and the lack of good jobs (which the rich of your generation sent to china for profit), it's kind of hard to get doing well. Also many older folks own rental properties as an income, nothing wrong with this, but when Joe Blow owns 15 houses as rentals, that's 15 people unable to buy them as they don't have the credit line Joe Blow has. Again, it's possible to get ahead but you gotta grind for it. No wonder a lot of people dropped out or put the race on hold for a few more years.

Last edited:

kling&allen

Registered
I have Google adwords running to promote my book and I was surprised by the demographics. Just as many people 18-24 are searching for "pool history" as people over 60. Of course, there are more people 18-24 using Google generally than those over 60, and there are only a handful of pool nuts anyway, but I was encouraged by the data.

1609535594375.png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have Google adwords running to promote my book and I was surprised by the demographics. Just as many people 18-24 are searching for "pool history" as people over 60. Of course, there are more people 18-24 using Google generally than those over 60, and there are only a handful of pool nuts anyway, but I was encouraged by the data.

View attachment 579971
It looks to me like a total of six searches recorded. No one between 45-64? I think that can only happen with a small sample.

kling&allen

Registered
It looks to me like a total of six searches recorded. No one between 45-64? I think that can only happen with a small sample.

It is a small sample set in that chart. Here's a more detailed one based on 673 searches today, dark blue is 10 searches.
1609536009604.png

Google Trends has interesting data you can play with too. Here are all pool-related searches since 2004:

1609536111949.png

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some one is telling me Joshua Filler is their favorite current pool player. The other person never tried to play pool. they never knew anyone interested.
What a crock! 99.9% of American poolplayers have no idea who Josh Filler even is. They can't even name an American pro player.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
What a crock! 99.9% of American poolplayers have no idea who Josh Filler even is. They can't even name an American pro player.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour
i took him to steinway billiards. and showed him masse shots. he is european and works as a line cook. he is a line cook outside the pool hall and works on the greek food truck and finishing his college education

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is an often lamented fact that pool's popularity is in decline. All over the country rooms are closing and pool seems like its in a death spiral. I know this may appear that I am grasping at straws, but his is an observation based the daily prevalence of it over the last 5 years. I am a school teacher by day and over the last 5 years if I catch a kid on his or her phone in class and they are playing a video game 90 percent of the time they are playing pool. To me the game still has appeal and I think generation Z is open to it.
Id be willing to bet against that 90% figure in any classroom but yours. In fact id bet against 50%.

Geosnookery

View attachment 579971
90% of the subscribers to Reddit Billiards and Reddit Snooker are likely under 35. On our provincial and city Facebook billiard pages likely 75% under 35.

However, I doubt if more than 10 or so players Of the 150 or so I play with could name a pool player... and most of that ten would name ‘Minnesota Fats’

I play Slowpitch and Ball hockey...as do millions of all ages and all survive fine without celebrities.

SandFox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an interesting post, Im 31 and have been in a league since 23. Had I known there was youth league when I was 16 id prolly have played in them but wasn't aware. After I turned 21 and heard about league I started to play again and really enjoy it. Now to say that I didn't like video games is silly because there isn't anything wrong with video games and to say people are fat and lazy is just not the way anymore most gamers are in decent shape and pro players are in great shape keeps the mind sharp. Though I do have to say there isn't a lot of young players per say you see a few here and there but they like to win and with no avenue of practice besides bars for most they get discouraged easily. So yeah I agree there should be some kind of in between for pros and casual players for the general public to watch.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Explaining why young people should go to a pool hall doesnt work. Pool Halls have to demonstrate why they are worth visiting.
Darn right! The image and culture of the poolroom is far too often the reason that a) young people don't bother with pool, and b) parents see pool as an undesirable entertainment option for their kids,

I recall chatting with a poolroom proprietor (in approx. 2007) whom I knew when we ran into each other at a local tournament. We chatted about the culture of the poolroom and I observed that in some of the rooms I frequented in the New York City area, audible profanity was taken very lightly and even a mild reprimand was extremely rare for those who were outwardly raucous or profane. He indicated that his poolroom took the matter very seriously. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I had stopped going to his poolroom because I was tired of all the audible profanity there. Of course, many poolroom proprietors are just the opposite and do a great job of maintaining decorum, but those that don't have done a lot of damage to the image of the poolroom. Are we bound to the philosophy of "well it's a poolroom, so our standards should be low"?

As you said, pool halls must demonstrate why they are worth visiting, both to players and parents alike.

Last edited: