Youngest Person to Run 100 Balls

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thread on the Oldest guy to run 100 balls got me to thinking, Who was the youngest and how old were they when they did it? I know, kind of a dumb question, hard to prove anything, fathers exaggerating their offspring's skill etc.but I was just curious. I guess this thread could be re-named what to do when you're bored at work LOL

Lunchmoney

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
I don't know if the youngest who ran 100 could ever be figured out, but Steve Mizerak was running 100's at will in his teens.

S

Scottster

Off Topic but....

In another thread it was said that 14.1 would be have the final nail in its coffin after a couple more generations. I just wanted to point out that my 7year old son is doing his part to keep this from happening. He practices 14.1.

curlyscues

we're watching
Silver Member
lunchmoney said:
The thread on the Oldest guy to run 100 balls got me to thinking, Who was the youngest and how old were they when they did it? I know, kind of a dumb question, hard to prove anything, fathers exaggerating their offspring's skill etc.but I was just curious. I guess this thread could be re-named what to do when you're bored at work LOL

Lunchmoney
Mark Bielfus ran 100 when he was 12 and there were quite afew people that knew about it.

At that age he played luther lassiter in 14-1 and beat him, it made several papers at the time.

M.C.

IronDon55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't heard that name in a while

curlyscues said:
Mark Bielfus ran 100 when he was 12 and there were quite afew people that knew about it.

At that age he played luther lassiter in 14-1 and beat him, it made several papers at the time.

M.C.
Whatever happened to Bielfus, is he still around and playing? Didn't he play JR (Leil) Gay and beat him in the under 18 nationals around 1975? JR is another guy that ran over 100 in his teens. I don't know if JR still posts on AZ, perhaps he will reply or someone that remembers can fill us in.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suspect it was one of the East Coast youngsters, like the Miz, Hopkins, Margo or Rempe. They were accomplished players at an early age. Steve once told me he ran his first 100 at age 12. He said he had hit 90 at eleven. All the above guys started playing at 5 and 6 years old. I'm pretty sure Allen had run 100 by age 13 as did Petey Margo.

Someone will have to ask them, since they're still around. I know Rempe was beating everyone by the time he was 16, and we knew about him in Ohio already. Hopkins was betting it up at age 16 as well, and playing the best Straight Pool players in New York, and beating them!

Beilfuss was another young phenom from Michigan. He was a terror in the Midwest during his teen years. Everyone knew about him.

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
i am wondering when Mosconi ran his first 100...he grew up in a pool hall..:)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
cuejoey said:
i am wondering when Mosconi ran his first 100...he grew up in a pool hall..:)

I think it was a little harder to do on those ten footers. The high runs in tournaments back then were never as high and with far fewer players running over a hundred. It was a rare occurrence.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I was 16 when I ran my first hundred, and it was far from being any kind of a record at all. The youngest I have heard of is The Miz at age 12, and I had also heard about Mark Belifus running over a hundred at age 11. So I would have to say unofficially, Mark Beilfus unless anyone has anything to contradict that.

T-dog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same here. I have a 6yr that goes to 20 an 8 yr old that goes to 35 and I go to 120. Its fun as hell but they dont like it when I run 20 or 30. Their patience wears thin.

Scottster said:
In another thread it was said that 14.1 would be have the final nail in its coffin after a couple more generations. I just wanted to point out that my 7year old son is doing his part to keep this from happening. He practices 14.1.

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I think it was a little harder to do on those ten footers. The high runs in tournaments back then were never as high and with far fewer players running over a hundred. It was a rare occurrence.

The exact number escapes me but I remember reading somewhere that Mosconi had a pretty respectable run at age 7 on the ten footers. It wasn't a hundred but it in the neighborhood of 50 or so. Any historians around?

Lunchmoney

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I've posted this before:

I seem to recall reading once that Jasmin Ouschan's younger brother, whose name I believe is Albin, had a 100+ run at age 11.

charley2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Bandy of Joliet, Illinois ran over 100 balls 15 or more times by the time he was 16-18 years old. Mike is about 51 y/o now. The midwest certainly knows Bandy. His team won the Master's BCA in Vegas-May 07 for the "umptenth????" time. Mike's a family/working man.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
charley2 said:
Mike Bandy of Joliet, Illinois ran over 100 balls 15 or more times by the time he was 16-18 years old. Mike is about 51 y/o now. The midwest certainly knows Bandy. His team won the Master's BCA in Vegas-May 07 for the "umptenth????" time. Mike's a family/working man.

He plays a fair game on a bar table. Just fair. :D

I don't want to knock his action (he's not looking now anyway) but there are a lot of guys who have been mentioned on here as bar table champions, that might not get there with this guy. I'm betting he won't turn down a game if it comes his way.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
sjm said:
I've posted this before:

I seem to recall reading once that Jasmin Ouschan's younger brother, whose name I believe is Albin, had a 100+ run at age 11.

I think I've heard something like that. Here's something more interesting: 2002 EPC pupil division 14.1 result page:
http://www.epbf.com/sportsite/2002/ECYouth/Pupil14A.htm

Albin won the event despite losing his first match and had a high run of 57, all were races to 75. Just before his 12th birthday....

I forget where I read this, but mosconi ran his first 100 at the age of 9 years old. I remember being amazed not so much for the physical aspects at that age as much as the mentality behind a 9 year old navigating through all those patterns.

I was pretty amazed reading this thread and this wasn't already definitively mentioned, as I was under the impression this was as widely known as his running 526.......

Rg