Your chalk

rtbbf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all the discussion of chalk pros and cons,I was wondering with no manufacture label just a blue cube how many can determine it too be their chalk of choice or brand ; shape of chalk all the same.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I think I could, but I'm kind of a chalk connoisseur ;)

And yes, I have MOST brands in my house for personal "testing" to see how they play. I just bought some Morakami Chalk. Eh, not bad. Very similar to Blue Diamond. Miscued at about shot 9.

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I think I could, but I'm kind of a chalk connoisseur ;)

And yes, I have MOST brands in my house for personal "testing" to see how they play. I just bought some Morakami Chalk. Eh, not bad. Very similar to Blue Diamond. Miscued at about shot 9.

Morakami is the same as another brand I will not mention with the intent to get away with selling it disregarding the original's MSRP....

Take the labels off and I can tell you the difference pretty easily... They all have differences and only 2 require a microscope to tell them apart and then I still can't see a difference... Well I wouldn't be able to tell Morakami and it's sister apart either so it's more than 2.....

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Like RJ, I can tell the difference between Magic Chalk and anything else. Pretty sure I could pick out both Kamui chalks as well. As far as the rest probably not.

Reactions: KRJ

rtbbf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my haste I meant by using not appearance, chalk is like tips (imo) personal preference I know

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
chalk

In my haste I meant by using not appearance, chalk is like tips (imo) personal preference I know

Last week I gave Mike Massey one of my home made pocket chalkers .

First thing out of his mouth after he thanked me was what kind of chalk was in the holder.............................

So for those who think all chalk is the same, Mike Massey doesn't.........
I don't know why but I was surprised he asked that question so quickly.

I was lucky the brand name he like the best was already in the holder..

So if you ever see Mike Massey using a chalk holder,,, I made it :grin: and I think he is one hell of a nice guy

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Why yes, yes I could tell. Then again I'm OCD about all things pool related

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I wonder why on the stream and live, watching pros and open tournaments 95+% of the cubes you see them have are Masters? Johnnyt

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all the discussion of chalk pros and cons,I was wondering with no manufacture label just a blue cube how many can determine it too be their chalk of choice or brand ; shape of chalk all the same.

I doubt I'd be able to say exactly what brand of chalk it was, but I'd be able to say if I liked it or not. Which would then lead me to take a guess about what brand it was since I know which brands I like.

I'd be able to tell the difference between Masters / Predator and Blue Diamond / Magic Chalk but I doubt I can tell the difference between Master and Predator or between Blue Diamond and Magic since both pairs are close to the same grit feel.

"We replaced Earls favorite chalk with Folgers, lets see if he can tell the difference".

"Ahh! RUUNNNNnnnnn he's trying to bite my ear off!!"

"Well, I guess can he CAN tell the difference."

Last edited:

CaptainDidactic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of those chalkers too! I think they work great. Now if I had to guess, I'd guess the label less chalk inside was.... Blue Diamond.

This is the first try at identifying label less chalk.

Was I right?

Last week I gave Mike Massey one of my home made pocket chalkers .

First thing out of his mouth after he thanked me was what kind of chalk was in the holder.............................

So for those who think all chalk is the same, Mike Massey doesn't.........
I don't know why but I was surprised he asked that question so quickly.

I was lucky the brand name he like the best was already in the holder..

So if you ever see Mike Massey using a chalk holder,,, I made it :grin: and I think he is one hell of a nice guy

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I can tell the difference between

Free and Not Free. (Buy chalk or use whatever's on the table)

But seriously, how meaningful is a test of "how many hits can I go before I miscue?" This isn't the Indy 500 where it's important how long your tires last, because there's no penalty for chalking between every shot. It would make a difference if we played Speed Pool but I'm too old for that.

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched brands to get away from the clouds of blue dust. Now my measles cue ball has not only red dots but blue.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I can tell the difference between

Free and Not Free. (Buy chalk or use whatever's on the table)

But seriously, how meaningful is a test of "how many hits can I go before I miscue?" This isn't the Indy 500 where it's important how long your tires last, because there's no penalty for chalking between every shot. It would make a difference if we played Speed Pool but I'm too old for that.

Because those chalks keep the chalk on the tip longer, and not on the cue ball, the table or your hands :thumbup:

of course, in my own experiments, I can go a lot further from center than other chalks, without fear of a miscue. Again, not for everyone, but I like to know I can push the extremes and also keep clean at the same time.... but hey, that is just me. I'm sure some folks like diff tips, diff shafts, diff cuemakers, diff gloves, diff tables, diff whatever. Just use what you like. That is one reason why I have a money back guarantee, cause if you don't like it, you should not be stuck with it.

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a blind application test between my Blue Diamond, Cuel, and Magic chalks, I don't think I'd have a clue. They all feel very similar to me. If I added my cube of Kamui to the mix, that would be the easy to tell because it's so smooth and greasy going on.

However, during actual play I seem to like the Kamui best, and I can't really explain why. I feel (imagine?) that I get a bit more purchase on the ball with it is all I can say. Maybe all in my head, but that's what I'd say if I was being honest with myself. But at $30/cube, and the fact that it makes a mess all over everything, I just never use it.

I like the BD and MC fine, but the Euro-made Cuel brand is damn close, and it's about what Masters cost in bulk. Problem is getting it to the US because the shipping is so high. If I was the unscrupulous type and wanted to make a buck, I'd buy several cases and replace the labels with an exotic sounding name and a grammatically incorrect phrase like, "Finest Pro Using Chalk". Sell them for $4/cube and make a killing. ;)

curacao2

Registered
Does it really matter how many shots you can make without re-chalking though?
If you chalk regularly you are still able to buy 12 pieces of regular master chalk for the price of 1 exotic piece.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Can someone find out if Dennis Searing uses Magic Chalk, then we can put the subject to rest. j/k obviously..

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Does it really matter how many shots you can make without re-chalking though?
If you chalk regularly you are still able to buy 12 pieces of regular master chalk for the price of 1 exotic piece.

There are house cues available at my local pool hall, yet folks spend 10 times or even 100 times the cost of a house cue to shoot with. Some folks like playing with the best equipment, some dont', if we were all the same, it might get kinda boring ;)