Your favorite playing cue's stats?

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My own search for the magical, perfect cue--which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist--has caused me to be very curious about your current favorite playing cue, with a focus on playabilty more than looks.

So...

Weight: ?

Length: ?

Shaft: ? (Ld or not? this doesn't just mean commercial ones. If it has a tiny diameter, or a short ferrule, it's probably LD. Heck, even some of the old Meuccis were LD in spite of their long ferrules, because the ferrule walls were so thin.)

Tip diameter and hardness: ?

Joint: ? (Material and pin type.)

Ferrule material: ?

Grip: ? (Thin or thick handle?)

Wrap: ?

Balance: ? (Front or back?) (Actual balance point would be nice to know.)

Brand: ?

...and anything else you'd like to add.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
McDemott old D19
59"
19.0 oz
G-Core shaft
Tiger tip- I like them best when about 1/2 its new thickness, not installed then sanding 1/2 the tip away. They seem to harden up with use and age. When they become worn this way from normal use there is no mushrooming, I never really need to shape it anymore. When I wipe the tip off before putting cue away I noticed the tip is glossy but as long as I keep chalk on it I do ot have trouble with miscues. Its not that I mind tip maintenance its that I like the way the tip feels like this.

Last edited:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
My own search for the magical, perfect cue--which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist--has caused me to be very curious about your current favorite playing cue, with a focus on playabilty more than looks.

So...

Weight: ?

Length: ?

Shaft: ? (Ld or not? this doesn't just mean commercial ones. If it has a tiny diameter, or a short ferrule, it's probably LD. Heck, even some of the old Meuccis were LD in spite of their long ferrules, because the ferrule walls were so thin.)

Tip diameter and hardness: ?

Joint: ? (Material and pin type.)

Ferrule material: ?

Grip: ? (Thin or thick handle?)

Wrap: ?

Balance: ? (Front or back?) (Actual balance point would be nice to know.)

Brand: ?

...and anything else you'd like to add.

How about Won Loss record?

Can't have stats without that. 😁

🎱

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Weight: 19.4oz with a balance-rite extension

Length: 62"

Shaft: Predator Z2 standard length

Tip diameter and hardness: 11.75mm - Outsville Medium-Hard

Joint: Implex piloted 3/8x10

Ferrule material: Predator whatever

Grip: Thin

Wrap: No wrap. Just diseased maple (Spalted)

Balance: Forward weighted more-so than a standard cue by about 1.5"

Brand: Michael Yingling

Hits a ton, Son.:grin:

Lesh

Last edited:

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favorite ever (Judd):

Weight: 17oz

Length: 57"

Shaft: regular

Tip diameter and hardness: 13mm True Champion tip (hard)

Joint: 5/16x18 piloted

Ferrule material: Ivory

Grip: Thin (Judds know for this)

Wrap: Linen

Balance: Forward 19" or so

Brand: Judd

Current:

Weight: 18.7oz

Length: 58"

Shaft: regular, .75" ferrule

Tip diameter and hardness: 12.75 mm Hard

Joint: Radial

Ferrule material: Not sure, something white that stains too easily

Grip: Medium

Balance: Forward 18.5" or so

Brand: Treadway

Still searching really for something that will replace the stolen Judd. Dave in Oregon building me a cue that will be reasonably close to Judd specs but longer. Interested to see how it is.

Also getting new cue from Treadway that will be lighter, and a cue from Lambros that will be what Lambros builds though I have guided him somewhat. Slightly longer term, cues from Olney and Walker. Want to try a Josey as they seem maybe the most Judd like of current makers in some ways.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also getting new cue from Treadway that will be lighter, and a cue from Lambros that will be what Lambros builds though I have guided him somewhat. Slightly longer term, cues from Olney and Walker. Want to try a Josey as they seem maybe the most Judd like of current makers in some ways.

What did you order from Jeff Olney? I admire your patience, since his wait list is long. Great choice, ordering from Jeff. I own a couple from him myself.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did you order from Jeff Olney? I admire your patience, since his wait list is long. Great choice, ordering from Jeff. I own a couple from him myself.

It will just be a slightly fancy bacote Merry Widow with rings at all positions. Jeff said he had some killer really old Bacote for a cue and I thought lets just highlight that.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Won Loss record?

Can't have stats without that. ��

��

Here is one of my cues that has a PERFECT Professional tournament win/loss record, but it isn't MY main playing cue..

It is the McDermott that CJ Wiley used to win the 1996 Million Dollar Challenge tournament where Earl Strickland won $1,000,000 on the first day by running 11 consecutive racks of 9-ball.

CJ beat Earl in the finals and then went back to his regular cue. A Blud, I believe.

This McDermott was provided to CJ by McDermott as a tournament playing cue and they were in the process of starting a line of cues for him.

CJ is holding up his cue and showing it to the McDermott guy in this photo, right after he won.

The cue is still in the same condition as then and it still has the same tip on it.

These are the stats for the cue I play with now:

Weight: Right about 20 oz.

Length: Tad bit over 58"

Shaft: Predator 314-2 FAT shaft. Tad bit over 29"

Tip diameter and hardness: 13.2 mm. Using a Black Kamui Medium at the moment but prefer a chopped-off Black Kamui Super Soft

Joint: .835 Stainless Steel 5-16/14 with a super tight piloted compression fit

Ferrule material: Whatever is on a Predator

Grip; About 1.24" if my memory is correct. It is on the thinner side.

Wrap: White with green speck Irish linen

Balance: About the 19" point

Brand: 1950's Titlist one-piece house cue converted/customized for me by Mike Pancerny of Detroit.

It is the cue in the top of the picture. I had it made to look like the original Balabushka Titlist under it (not my cue).

Attachments

• CJ Wiley McDermott.jpg
    CJ Wiley McDermott.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 671
  • Titlist with Balabushka Titlist.JPG
    Titlist with Balabushka Titlist.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 699
Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maker: Bob Runde built as a custom order for me in 2015

Weight: 19.4oz

Length: 58"

Shaft: Hard maple shaft at 12mm so it's lower deflection than a thicker shaft but its traditional solid maple with full length ferrule, came to this size via trial/error and I also have 12.25mm and 12.75mm shafts for this cue as well

Tip diameter and hardness: 12mm Kamui black clear soft

Joint: SS 5/16x14

Ferrule material: Micarta

Grip: On the thicker side for modern cues I think, can't recall exact diameter. Pretty sure it's somewhere between 1.26" and 1.28" at the end of the butt cap.

Balance: 19.5" from end of butt cap

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weight: 19.75

Length: 58 inches

Shaft: OB Pro

Tip diameter and hardness: 11.75 Kamui Supersoft

Joint: Modified 3/8

Grip: Leather

Wrap: Pigskin

Balance: Front

Brand: OB prototype based off of OB-133 (Love this cue) it's very unique.

Current Record 10-0 in APA league

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just pickone up and if I like it I play it

i never check and don't care

i once had a driver i hit almost $300 yards high and straight

i weighed it one day and it was C6

I heard that D2 was correct so I added weight,I never played good again

now that was golf,but the idea is the same

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
18.75 to 19oz

Predator shaft

Shaft weight 3.6 to 3.9 oz

12.75mm

Tiger Onyx

Irish Linen wrap

Balance: a little towards the back

Schon

Kinda prefer plain janes to a million inlays (but I have both)

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weight: Around 19.5oz

Length: 60"

Shaft: Something around the deflection of an old 314 shaft, 3/4" ferrule and a longish pro taper.

Tip diameter and hardness: 12.5mm, Milkdud

Joint: I have grown to like big pins, Radial has been good in my case :smile: Not too picky about collar material though, everything works.

Ferrule material: Tomahawk

Grip: On the thin side

Wrap: wrapless

Balance: ? A bit forward balanced, I like to feel the cue on my bridge hand.

Thats what I'm currently having made to me by Lomax. I like merry widow cues and mine will be BEM forearm/buttsleeve with a ziricote handle. Still a few months to go untill delivery :rolleyes:

Edit: I just thought of a similiar thread I started a while back, thought it may be a nice read for you :)
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=407164

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy for me to answer since I've posted this info before every time I searched for a Hercek cue.

There is no playing weight per se for my cue because there are two halves comprising it: shafts & butt.
However, I do have pretty tight specs for the two halves that assemble that become my cue's weight.

Cue Butt Wt / Lt.: 14.5 ozs to 14.75 ozs. & 29"
Weight Bolt: 1/2 ounce -3/4 oz. presuming a bolt is even used but none heavier than 3/4 ounce.
Shafts: >20% total cue wt., preferably 22-23% (generally 4 ozs or heavier), flat faced & 29"
Ideal Cue Weight:18.5 ounces to 18.75 ounces .....the cue ultimately should be <19 ounces.
Sizes: Varies with the cues - 12.75mm to 13mm - all my cues have 2 shafts & a few have 3.
Taper: Extended to 14-15"
Ferrules: Ivory - 7/8 or 1" length
Joint: Flat Faced Ivory with 3/8x10 or 11 thread
Wrap: Cortland Linen 1st choice: Elephant leather 2nd.
Tips: Kamui Clear Black (Soft Hardness)
Bumper: Always - on every cue.
Cue Woods: Strictly maple forearms and ebony pts & sleeves.

It is not easy to find a cue-maker that can indulge my idiosyncrasies about cue specs but obviously,
I know what I want and am not willing to settle. otherwise I'd already own a Hercek pool cue. The
bottom-line is why settle for less than what you want when you are ordering a cue to be built or
searching the resale market. Just get what you want; if you settle for less, you only postpone dissatisfaction.

Matt B.

Last edited: