Your thoughts on 8-ball tactics

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe try 9 ball instead :thumbup:

;)

Running a rack of 9 ball is lot easier then 8 ball.
In fact running a rack of 14.1 is easier then 8 ball.
I have a high run of :
5 racks 9 ball
101 balls 14.1
3 racks 8 ball.
and I've been at this for 57 years!

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a high run of :
5 racks 9 ball
101 balls 14.1
3 racks 8 ball.

maybe for you, but I run out 8-ball racks much much much more often than 9b

different skillsets I guess haha

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I have a high run of :
5 racks 9 ball
101 balls 14.1
3 racks 8 ball.

Wondered how long before you'd get a response on that. :grin-square:

Can't remember where I heard it maybe here on azb, but I think it rings true..When I play you in 9 ball, I'm saying I can out shoot you, 8 ball, I can out think you.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said earlier, the correct strategy to give yourself the best chance of winning a league match between two mid-ranks is very different from the strategy of a high level player playing another high level player. This means you have to decide whether your league matches are a time to play for the win or a time to improve. Getting into the habit of playing weak safeties because you're playing against someone that can't take advantage of it isn't going to help you compete against those who can.

Here's another way of thinking about it... If you're coming to the table, here are the possible situations:
a) you're breaking,
b) it's the first shot after your opponent's dry break,
c) your opponent played safe,
d) your opponent missed an offensive shot, or
e) your opponent fouled.

As you play against better and better opponents, there are going to be fewer missed shots, almost no unforced fouls, and tighter safeties. It's also going to be tougher to force your opponent to foul; you won't have many chances to play defense with only one or two of their balls left and they will be able to kick much better.

Ultimately, this means that you have to take advantage of (a) and (b) by running out whenever it's reasonable so you don't have to deal with (c) or sit and hope for (d) or (e). Running out a full table isn't easy, but it's the way higher level 8-ball is won.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe for you, but I run out 8-ball racks much much much more often than 9b

different skillsets I guess haha

8 ball requires deep thinking
You are a deep thinker.
9 ball requires that you can count from 1 to 9 in the correct order.
I can do that.
Deep thinking requires that you think hard. My brain is lazy.
Probably why my one pocket game is not as good as my other games.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wondered how long before you'd get a response on that. :grin-square:

Can't remember where I heard it maybe here on azb, but I think it rings true..When I play you in 9 ball, I'm saying I can out shoot you, 8 ball, I can out think you.

I like that!

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea what this means. Playing a really good player, say Fargorate around 650 to 700 or better, there are not many innings. They just get out. The idea is not to miss. You just won't get back to the table unless the miss is a played safe, which by the way is not a miss.

On another note. This is one of the best theads in the forum that I have seen in a while.

Yes, the "miss" was tactical or intentional safety play...I learned that on my own.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not read every post in this thread but a few did mention about not trying to run out if you cant and I completely agree. I used to always try to run out every rack until a good player finally got me to see the light. He said ...if you cant run out play safe.

A few have said it depends on your opponent. Well I can see where the skill level of your opponent would have some bearing on your shot selection but I have to defer to what another very good player told me.....dont play your opponent...play the table.

What I mean by that is I once mentioned to him when he threw me against an 8 that I couldn't beat him. He said dont play him play the table. I won lol.

As for clusters. If the cluster is all my balls I will break it out early. If my opponent has a ball or 2 in that cluster I avoid it. I look at it as I am not only helping myself but him as well if I break it open. One time a 7 played a safe and after looking over the table I just picked up the cue ball and handed it to him. No WA was I breaking up a cluster. When I sat down a team mate asked what the heck did I do that for ? I told him that guy ai t running out and I went on to win the rack. Bit of course it all depends on the layout.

I dont base my strategy on my opponents level .sure some of them can run out from anywhere and are pretty good at breaking out clusters but I have seen low.level players do just as much on accident as higher levels do on purpose....especially on hooking their opponent lol.

Strange thing is when i used to try to run out every rack I became a 6. I changed my strategy because occasionally I would get caught in one ball hell once I quit trying to run out I was lowerd to a 5 and have a higher win percentage now lol.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Go for problem balls within the first three shots of the game. If you can't do that, fail to break them up or you get out of position, stop potting balls and don't try to get in line again. Play safe as long there are more balls to hide for you. If you keep potting balls and break down on the last two shots, your opponent has pretty much an open table or at least better safety options.
FYI, 8-ball strategy is covered in detail in the summaries, videos, and articles on the 8-ball strategy resource page. And if you wan't more, with lots of good examples, check out the Video Encyclopedia of Eight Ball (VEEB).

Enjoy,
Dave

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
One thing I didnt see anyone mention is that even though my goal is to not hit any balls unnecessarily you may have opportunities to knock your opponents ball into a difficult spot while pocketing one of your balls. Kind of a reverse cluster break out, if you can tie up one of your opponents balls its good insurance. I dont put much effort into trying to block pockets that my opponent might need because its too easy for them to replace your ball with theirs and it could bite you in the arse. Also, if your opponent leaves his ball in the jaws of a pocket you can usually pocket your ball right behind theirs so its really not a good strategy.

This is sage advice. :thumbup:

I seldom pass up an oppty to brush an opponents ball into a more difficult spot when I can. I will even consider going for shape to accomplish this as long as there are no poss compromises to my planned next shot.

Repositioning your opponents balls to more difficult locations will improve your winning %.

best,
brian kc

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not read every post in this thread but a few did mention about not trying to run out if you cant and I completely agree. I used to always try to run out every rack until a good player finally got me to see the light. He said ...if you cant run out play safe.

A few have said it depends on your opponent. Well I can see where the skill level of your opponent would have some bearing on your shot selection but I have to defer to what another very good player told me.....dont play your opponent...play the table.

What I mean by that is I once mentioned to him when he threw me against an 8 that I couldn't beat him. He said dont play him play the table. I won lol.

As for clusters. If the cluster is all my balls I will break it out early. If my opponent has a ball or 2 in that cluster I avoid it. I look at it as I am not only helping myself but him as well if I break it open. One time a 7 played a safe and after looking over the table I just picked up the cue ball and handed it to him. No WA was I breaking up a cluster. When I sat down a team mate asked what the heck did I do that for ? I told him that guy ai t running out and I went on to win the rack. Bit of course it all depends on the layout.

I dont base my strategy on my opponents level .sure some of them can run out from anywhere and are pretty good at breaking out clusters but I have seen low.level players do just as much on accident as higher levels do on purpose....especially on hooking their opponent lol.

Strange thing is when i used to try to run out every rack I became a 6. I changed my strategy because occasionally I would get caught in one ball hell once I quit trying to run out I was lowerd to a 5 and have a higher win percentage now lol.

You are right on here. I recently played a friend in an 8-ball in a tournament and he was pushing to run out and kept selling out easy runs for me. After our match I told him "Don't rush to be the first one to make a mistake. Let the other guy screw up too." Then he started being patient and letting his opponents make mistakes and he won several matches before finally losing to a much better player.

The better your opponent, the more correct the "playing the table" strategy is. A good player will take what the table gives them. A great player will take what they want from the table and run out a lot when there is no out. For us mere mortals at least.

If you are playing someone that doesn't have a high % chance to run out, then playing the player makes more statistical sense. Sometimes.

You have to assess every time at the table and figure out what play gives you the best chance to win. Sometimes that is flat out missing a shot and leaving them a shot so they'll get some of their balls out of the way before they get stuck.

Most of the time the correct play is figuring out if you can run out. If not can you break out things and play safe? Can you run out or break things out sufficiently with Ball in Hand? If so find a good place to play a really good safety. It might mean making a ball or two to get the right position on your lock up safety.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with other responces that this has been the best thread on AZB in quite some time. The advice from everyone is appreciated. I took up league 8-ball only in the past couple of years and I am finding it difficult to master to the level that I play in other games. Too often, my opponent is controlling me rather than the other way around. Please continue to provide your insights.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing in a mid level league in my area and yesterday my team played our first match of the season.

I won my 8-ball match quite clear with 5:1, but as it happend the team leader of our best team was at the club too and was watching us.
After my game he came over and we talked a bit about my playing style.

My approach:
Move through a game area by area, clearing problem balls "on the way". If I lose position, or fail to break them up, as long as I have an open shot I make a new game plan and try to go for the problems later in the game.

His advice:
Go for problem balls within the first three shots of the game. If you can't do that, fail to break them up or you get out of position, stop potting balls and don't try to get in line again. Play safe as long there are more balls to hide for you. If you keep potting balls and break down on the last two shots, your opponent has pretty much an open table or at least better safety options.

Now I want to hear your thoughts on it!
How do you approach a game of 8-ball?
Does it depent on your opponent?
Do you play loose or do you try to play it tight?

Do you play Chess? Don't kill your last pawns per Bobby Fisher.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
After the break and it's your turn, the table is either runnable or not.
If it's not, then look for a shot or two that you can make and go into or come from behind and as I call this shot, a mid rack break shot. If you able to move allot of balls and pocket a ball, your next table layout will tell you if its ''time to go'' or not. Often on a mid rack break shot, you'll slop another ball in, making the table much more workable. If not, most all the balls are still on the table and your board play will then determine your outcome.

Really tho, there's no simple answer.
But above is good advice.
Few players ever do this, but it's a dagger.
Every 8 ball layout is NOT runnable.
Heck you might even slop in two balls if the breakout shot lets you Hammer em.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing in a mid level league in my area and yesterday my team played our first match of the season.

I won my 8-ball match quite clear with 5:1, but as it happend the team leader of our best team was at the club too and was watching us.
After my game he came over and we talked a bit about my playing style.

My approach:
Move through a game area by area, clearing problem balls "on the way". If I lose position, or fail to break them up, as long as I have an open shot I make a new game plan and try to go for the problems later in the game.

His advice:

Now I want to hear your thoughts on it!
How do you approach a game of 8-ball?
Does it depent on your opponent?
Do you play loose or do you try to play it tight?

I like how he thinks!

randyg