Unknown "monster" players

Donkey Puncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe I am a fair to middlin pool handcapper. If I ever bet with my head and not my heart. I have never lost money betting on pool. Well, hardley ever.

Jim Lebold
Tommy Rossi - (saw him play when he was 15 - he entertained me)
Buddy from sacremento then Bakersfield--then LA
Tony Banks
King David Rhodes - I am taking up a fund to put on his books. He is right where he needs to be right now if he is to live. He is in Multnomah county awaiting trial and sentencing.

At first I told people it was for bail....but the tickets a little high. We probably won't see him for a whil.

The other day there was a 14 year old with his Dad. They said they were from Seattle and his name was Chuckie. Well, who knows if that is true but he beat Carlos Santibanez. Bad action when you beat the best in town.

Don Percy
Billy Vernon
Charlie "the ape" Romanis

Oops I forgot Pug Wilson on the Bar Box. Look out.
David dunham on the big Table
Chuckie Holyoke. He will probably be a great player in a few years. He is almost short stop speed right now and breaks better than I do at ~115 lbs.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know and have played with Glenn, Al, and Bobby Zack many times.

Glenn is better than both Bobby and Al, with Al needing probably the seven out from Glenn and the 8 from Bobby. I have gambled with Al a few times...he gave me the seven last time and he beat me in a close one. I would consider myself a lowish "A" player.

Glenn is probably the best player in the NW hands down. He takes heat from guys like Eddie Mataya, Bobby Zack, Don Wirtamen, and of course a few Canadians that travel down here (Tourangeau, Potier, etc.)

Don't forget Dan Louie. He isn't the dominant player he once was, but still damn good! And Rich Geiler can still make a ball or two. :rolleyes:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players who are largely "unknown" but possess close to champion speed? Would love to hear some stories. I will throw one name out there as an example(Vernon Elliot). He doesn't play anymore, but when he did, he was a "monster". Some of you know him and his reputation. would like to hear about him and any others that you know. Not trying to knock any action, I'm talking mainly about the "old timers".

There's a guy named Sam in San Diego that plays pretty sporty! he shot lights out when i played him (4-5 packs not unusual) and a friend told me he saw him shoot a perfect game of snooker.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's a guy named Sam in San Diego that plays pretty sporty! he shot lights out when i played him (4-5 packs not unusual) and a friend told me he saw him shoot a perfect game of snooker.

Sam Manole (Hilla Hilla mentioned him earlier). A bar box killer!

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man.. sorry to hear that.. I didn't think he'd even go back up there. Oh well. .he's probably a count away, or already 3 strikes in now..

There is a guy who could have been the worlds greatest car salesman too. One thing I know about Dave, and is true about the elite pool players, is that he could have excelled in anything. The things he made out of pool balls on the lathe, or cues... he just had a knack.. He also liked young chicks too, which is sometimes a no no when they haven't hit 18 either!

Whoa whoa are you saying chicks under 18 are off limits???? since when?

swrooster

A HOTDOG ROAD PLAYER!!
Silver Member
Thanks

"The Bird" was Frank Thompson.

Fez was a very good friend of mine. He had so many road stories about he and Cowboy Jimmy Moore, Wimpy, Rags Fitzpatrick, Ralph Greenleaf and many others. Fez had also been a prizefighter when he was younger. I last saw Fez in 2004. He was 91 years old, and still made the rounds to every pool hall every day scouting the action, and selling cues. I saw Bobby Madrid a few years ago and had asked about Fez, Bobby told me that he had moved to be with his daughter in New Mexico.

I took many trips to Albuquerque with Fez back in the late 1980's to visit Jimmy Moore. They were very good friends, and it was amazing to hear them discuss their adventures. Fez was always a good friend to me, and we talked almost every day, even after his memory started to go. He would remember the stories of the road in great detail, he just wouldn't remember that he had told you the same story 3 times already that day. Many people in El Paso know that I would sit there (despite how many times he had told the same story) and make Fez feel as if it was the first time I had ever heard it. That drove some people crazy, but I owed a lot to Fez, and I just sat there wide eyed, hanging on every word (no matter who it annoyed). He was a fixture in the El Paso pool scene for many years. I am assuming that by now he has passed away. I miss him a lot.

I haven't talked to Fez in over a year. He was at a Veteren's home about 150 miles from El Paso and had been there for the last three years. Another friend of mine had stopped to see him a few months ago and he was barely hanging on. He was something else...we cracked many a pop together and would take him to some out of town tourneys in Texas. At 93 he still had game and played all the barbox local tourneys for something to do. He loved to sweat the action but would only bet on a few because he had been dumped so many times. What a character. Bobby Madrid still plays some across town, don't see him much. Not a lot of action around here these days, everybody is scared, wants the mortal nuts and have turned into a bunch of lamb killers. Oh well, it's probanly saved me a ton of cash.:D

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
that's Sam MAnoale...

Not exactly an unknown player but definitely a monster. Not out of San diego anymore though.

Jaden

SleepyBob

Unknown Monster Players spanning the years

Players who are largely "unknown" but possess close to champion speed? Would love to hear some stories. I will throw one name out there as an example(Vernon Elliot). He doesn't play anymore, but when he did, he was a "monster". Some of you know him and his reputation. would like to hear about him and any others that you know. Not trying to knock any action, I'm talking mainly about the "old timers".

One of the most memorable "MONSTER" players that come to mind is Jerry Brock. During the late 60's he played all around the San Francisco Bay area while stationed at Travis AFB in Fairfield California. His nine ball break was something to see. Unlike today's typical breaks, Jerry Brock would break down the center of the table with enough force to wake the dead. The cue ball often went straight up and hit the ceiling. NO JOKE!
The ball usually came down somewhere near the center of the table. The one exception that I can remember is when it stuck in the ceiling at Frank Lively's Family Billards just outside the main gate of Travis AFB. Jerry was 20 at that time. An amazing talent. I went to The Palace in San Francisco with Jerry on a number of occasions during that time. He would slam balls the full length of a 12' snooker table every once in a while and almost cause side betters to have cardiac arrests. He made those shots but the stress was a nightmare. I don't know what happened to Jerry after the late 60's. I'm know to this forum so maybe I'll read about him here and find out. In his prime, if well rested and off any kind of substance I think Jerry Brock had the naturaly talent and skill level to beat anyone alive. I'm sure as time went on Jerry's break got more technical.

steveinflorida

Silver Member
I knew Kenny McCoy very well back in the 60's and early 70's. Also Howard. And yes, Kenny would beat Howard just about anytime they played. This all took place in Columbus, Ohio. Howard played on the West side and Kenny played at The Golden Eight Ball East. Every so often Howard would come to the East side and try to make a game with Kenny. Many, many road players came to town for some of Kenny's action. A lot of them didn't leave with the cash though. It was a great time for pool. Seems like there was always some action.

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
I knew Kenny McCoy very well back in the 60's and early 70's. Also Howard. And yes, Kenny would beat Howard just about anytime they played. This all took place in Columbus, Ohio. Howard played on the West side and Kenny played at The Golden Eight Ball East. Every so often Howard would come to the East side and try to make a game with Kenny. Many, many road players came to town for some of Kenny's action. A lot of them didn't leave with the cash though. It was a great time for pool. Seems like there was always some action.

kenny still comes in the pool hall every day.

S

skip

A lot of great stories being told I have one. Back in the early 60s I worked for a small moving company in Lou. Ky. Two friends an myself were helping a driver who was about 30 years old load his truck at the warehouse. When done he payed us an ask if he could buy us some beers. We said sure, then he asked if we knew some were he could shoot some pool for money. I told him that a few miles down Dixie Highway toward Fort Knox there is a small bar with lots of action. Told him about a man called Sarge, that I have never seen the man miss a ball. He said not to worry he was state chamption of Alaska. When we got there Sarge was shooting one handed on a bar table. He finished running the table then racked an ran out again. I told the driver just forget playing this guy. He told me to shut up an just watch. He ask Sarge if he would play him for $10.00 a game 9 ball. Sarge said sure do you want me to use one hand or two? Driver said two. Sarge won the flip ran 4 racks, the driver told him thats it payed him the $40.00 An told the bar I know I can beat him if I got to shoot. I am Alaska state champion. True story, I wish I knew Sarge"s last name?

delta boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for me one of the best unknowns were tommy sanders from south texas.he would take on all comers.doesnt play to much now but is very capable of getting the job done. also sonny springer from mississippi was as good as it got playing all games from the 40s 50s 60s 70s.he was what i called the ghost cause you didnt see him come when he took all your money.played all the hustlers and players during the jognson city days and i mean all players ask jay about himand i would have to say reed pierce also.for years when he was in his teens and twenties every p[layer of that time tried to bust him(during the eighties) but couldnt get there.and iam talking about players like allen hopkins,davenport,ronnie allen.for a long session like 12 to 30 hours i liked his end of any game.back then every player in the country new if they wanted to win 50000 to 100000 all they had to do was come to jackson,ms to play reed but never many takers and about 5 to 6 years back at the mississippi 9ball open he tols johnathon hennessee he could have the 7ball player on a 9ft table and tols him that he wouild pay for his gas and all expenses if he would play. well johnathon declined to play.

delta boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i see that some people have never heard of jack hines or mark tadd and for some reason i find that so hard to believe.both were and as for tadd is a talented player but he only plays pool to fuel his poker playing.ive seen him at a tournament at high pockets in memphis get into an argrument with reed pierce and told him reed over the loud speaker you have the wild 8 on the bar box and at that time reed was a total monster on the bar box but a spot doesnt mean anything if you done get to shoot and if jack ever got his mixture right he had so much talent to beat any and all comers

bobbycotton

PoolHall Junkie
Silver Member
best unknown player hands down

Jerry Brock is the best unknown ever. He owned a bar outside of memphis and Buddy came thriugh and tried to give him the last two on the 9 footer and didn't win and then i think he gave Buddy the last two on the bar table and took down the cash. Which I think is amazing, cause I think Buddy is the greatest 9 baller of all times!

delta boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont think anyone in the 70s and 80s could have ever given buddy the last 2 on any table.ive known jerry for over 30 years and he was a very dangerous player on the bar tables and maybe he had a great day if he played buddy giving him the last 2 but when ur talking about jerry and buddy ur talking the difference of night and day