router question

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, newbie question here-
When turning wood with a router on a lathe, does the direction of the feed matter? In other words, do you make passes up and down the lathe, or just going away from the headstock?

Thanks,
Josh

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When turning wood with a router on a lathe, does the direction of the feed matter? In other words, do you make passes up and down the lathe, or just going away from the headstock?

Thanks,
Josh

At the very slow feet rate you use it doesn't really matter. The cutter is just nicking out tiny pieces of wood either way you go. The thing that matters to me is I like to cut from the larger to the smaller and have the router ride down and not up the tracer bar.

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,
Josh
I always run my feed left to right. I get a much smoother cut this way.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
At the very slow feet rate you use it doesn't really matter. The cutter is just nicking out tiny pieces of wood either way you go. The thing that matters to me is I like to cut from the larger to the smaller and have the router ride down and not up the tracer bar.
mine seems to cut much better from headstock/butt to tailstock/joint.
dont know why, but it does.
another reason i go that direction, is i did have some tips of butterflies rip out on me doing the last few passes from joint to butt once.
and i slow feed rate to a crawl
cuts so smooth, damn near almost no sanding is needed

dave sutton

Banned
Funnt im opposite. I find running right to left slow feed i get the smoothest cue also i usually taper my ss joint on the cue so thats on the tailstock side so that has to be very small passes..

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Funnt im opposite. I find running right to left slow feed i get the smoothest cue also i usually taper my ss joint on the cue so thats on the tailstock side so that has to be very small passes..

People need to post where their router is in relative to the wood.
And the direction the spindle turns.
With spindle spinning clockwise, and the router vertical in front of the wood ( nearest to me ) right to left ( tailstock to spindle ) cuts better for me.
I think that'd be considered climb cutting.

J&D CUSTOMS

JL Cues
Silver Member
1/4 inch bit running left to right, taking small cuts for final passing. Using a porter cable with the lathe spinning at 600 rrm , or slow speed.
I like using the smaller bits as they cut really smooth and turn more rotations for a cleaner cut. IMO of coarse. With the lathe turning toward me or clock wise.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1/4 inch bit running left to right, taking small cuts for final passing. Using a porter cable with the lathe spinning at 600 rrm , or slow speed.
I like using the smaller bits as they cut really smooth and turn more rotations for a cleaner cut. IMO of coarse. With the lathe turning toward me or clock wise.

Just curious, why do they turn more rotations? A larger bit is actually turning much faster. (Merry-go-round) theory. Such a small bit is turning really slow compared to a bit say 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

Last edited:

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Just curious, why do they turn more rotations? A larger bit is actually turning much faster. (Merry-go-round) theory. Such a small bit is turning really slow compared to a bit say 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
damn!!! he's right
i never though of it that way
mac, youre a genius :thumbup:

J&D CUSTOMS

JL Cues
Silver Member
Mac,
Not sure where you get that understanding, if you are using a 1/2 bit, then go to a 1/4 bit in size, you are contacting the suface of the wood at a 2-1 ratio with the blades of the router bit. A 1/4 cuts smoother due to the blades hitting the surface more than the 1/2 router bit.
Sort of like a table saw blade. Same size blade, but more teeth cut smoother.
Just my opinion of coarse.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Mac,
Not sure where you get that understanding, if you are using a 1/2 bit, then go to a 1/4 bit in size, you are contacting the suface of the wood at a 2-1 ratio with the blades of the router bit. A 1/4 cuts smoother due to the blades hitting the surface more than the 1/2 router bit.

well, ONE of you is right.
im gonna sit back and let the smarter people figure this one out,
cuz my brain is too friggin' tired today to think that over
woooooooooooooooo, late nite last nite :rolleyes:

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
I am still single pointing so to those of you using 'live' tooling on the lathe, how do you do when you hit the nickel-silver trim rings and/or the stainless joint collars?

I turn everything at the same time to keep it all even (I know some of you add the steel collar later), and even with the TiN coated inserts I use, going from wood to stainless can be a bit hairy sometimes.

I had also thought about using a 1/4" TiN coated roughing end mill (with the wavy cutting edges) in the router and trying that; or a straight cut (finish) end mil. Also setting the router at an angle, as opposed to 90 degrees to the axis of the cue- thought being I would (theoretically) get more of a slicing action rather than a chopping action...

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It is clear I have to go this route because it takes me about 4 hours to cut 0.020" now... (not that I'm in any rush)... And you really haven't lived until you single point a shaft.:smile:

Any issues with cues 'singing' when live tooling is used? Particularly in the middle, but to a lesser extent at all the nodal points along the length, I get some vibration and chatter that can sneak up on you if you aren't ready for it.

And yes, larger diameter at the same RPM is higher surface speed... And I think more surface speed is better for this job, but I could be wrong.:confused:

And I run from butt in tail stock to joint at head stock with the lathe running forward (counter-clockwise). Small parts around 1000-1100 RPM (between centers- short lenghts [generally in the Hardinge]) and butts around 550-600 RPM.

This will be new territory for me, so I'm all ears (or, eyes in this case):rolleyes:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mac,
Not sure where you get that understanding, if you are using a 1/2 bit, then go to a 1/4 bit in size, you are contacting the surface of the wood at a 2-1 ratio with the blades of the router bit. A 1/4 cuts smoother due to the blades hitting the surface more than the 1/2 router bit.

Regardless the number of the teeth, all things being equal the larger cutter is turning much faster. The cutter is passing the surface of the wood and cutting at a much faster speed even if turning the same number of times per second. Also a larger cutter that is more broad delivers a smoother cut from my experience. It is less likely to dig in. The larger cutter also has more mass and has a flywheel effect producing less vibration. Years ago I used a 1/2 inch shank 2 inch key seat cutter that weighed 4 ounces. It really delivered a smooth cut equal to say a 320 sandpaper sanding. Something like this
http://www.indiabizclub.com/uploads05/31/0/2041816169.jpg
You could play with the shaft right out of the lathe. It was kind of over kill though and the cutters cost over a hundred each. The slot cutters I use now are almost as good.

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Both Ways

Cue Guru,

On a metal lathe, I use a 2 fluke 3/8" router bit within a laminate router mounted on my cross slide t-slot perpendicular to the butt on a 5 degree angle so the angle of attack only allows one fluke to cut per revolution. I do all of my tapering or straight cutting from left to right with the joint section at the tail stock. The router is going 30,000 rpm and silver rings cut perfectly. Never had a problem with them.

I also use this set up for cutting my wrap grooves. I do 11" left to right, then I reset my router on the tool post so it is 5 degrees the other way. When I cut that last inch of my wrap groove right to left, it does a very good job without a noticeable change to the RMS finish of the groove face.

With my feed and speed set up the finished product feels like it was sanded with no lines or chatter whatsoever. When I had vertical router mount I had finish problems near the center area of the butt due to slight deflection pressure. The perpendicular set up works 1000 times better for me.

I go right from the lathe to the sealing process without sanding. For my last pass or when cutting wrap grooves, I always use a bit that is very sharp that is dedicated for final passes.

Rick Geschrey

Last edited:

hillscues

American Craftsmanship
Silver Member
I agree with rick, as I was the one to set his router up in his lathe, it does cut smooth he was cutting one the other day i just happen to be there. I like to sand even if it cuts that smooth.

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for your thoughtful and informative replies.
I love this forum!