Perfect aim - review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
woody_968:
But there are also methods that work, and have worked for many players, but when you add X plus Y they dont equal Z. These are things that PJ dismisses, and will argue till the end they dont work, even though they do work for a lot of people.

This is not true. I'll bet I've acknowledged more often than you that all kinds of systems work for a lot of people. I question the explanation, not the fact.

pj
chgo

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do you answer every question with a question? Amazing

Schon267,

Do you not understand what PJ is saying here? I have viewed this forum for many years. While I must admit that I do not remember specifically reading any of your posts, I definitely do remember reading many of Patrick's. I remember them because they are among the few on this forum that are intelligent, well reasoned, logical expressions of thought that generally convey quite clearly his ideas on the subject in question.

It sounds like you are implying one of several things:
1) You don't like PJ's "style" of logical argument, and would prefer he wrote in a different style (more like yours?)
2) You do not understand what he is trying to say. It seems obvious to me that his answer to your question is that "I am no less qualified than these other people-my being a human who can think and talk and express my opinion politely on a public forum makes me at least equal and "worthy" as anyone else on here"
3) Logic is not something that interests you? Or is not something that you have practiced or learned about, or perhaps just don't know it when you see it?

Schon, I certainly am not trying to attack you in any way. I realize what I just wrote could easily be taken in a smart ass way, and that is a danger of posting my ideas on a forum. Seriously though, I am just saying it matter-of-factly, not intending any offense. I don't know you or know anything about you or your other posts. I'm just curious because I see statements like yours from many posters and I'm just curious why the concept of "answering a question with a question" would be troubling for someone. Also because I generally enjoy reading PJ's posts, I wanted to speak up in his defense (not that he needs it!)

Anyway, again no offense intended,

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm truly sorry to have to be so blunt about Gene's video - like I said in my review, he seems like a likable and sincere guy who really wants to help others. I wouldn't speak up except that he promotes his video sales so relentlessly here on AZB that I feel AZB readers are being done an injustice if they don't know the "other side" of the story.

WHO APPOINTED YOU TO TELL THE SUPPOSED OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY? WHY? BECAUSE YOU TOO ALSO GIVE POOL LESSONS? ONE INSTRUCTOR CALLS ANOTHER INSTRUCTORS METHODS NOT VALID. THAT TO ME SEEMS UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR TOWARDS A FELLOW INSTRUCTOR , AND WHY, BECAUSE HIS DVD IS $80? YOUR MOTIVES IN MY OPINION ARE SELF SERVING.

pj
chgo

P.S. Since Spidey seems to be on vacation, we can only guess what his insightful and informative rebuttal of my comments would be. Maybe somebody else knows enough entertaining expletives to fill in for him.
[/QUOTE]

It would seem that you have set up a desk for yourself right next to Patrick's, only the plaque on your desk says "Reviewer of Reviews". I think you might have made the plaque yourself...

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm not irrational at all, nor have any motives other then stating my opinion on your self appointed statements regarding gene's dvd and methods.

If you don't give lessons, and i haven't seen your`resume as far as playing pool, i.e titles won, player ranking, past playing history etc. Then what qualifies you to critique genes dvd?? I have seen many of your posts, maybe ii got the impression you were a pool instructor because of what i read, please enlighten me to your qualifications to post technical pool things on this forum. Whether it be from playing pool or instructing pool. I really would like to know patrick, no disrespect meant in this request. Maybe i'm wrong thinking your a certified instructor?

I will do the same if you want me too, just so you too know what my experience is with pool.

Schon, here you have come to the real issue. What Patrick wrote in his review does not in any way depend on any knowledge of pool whatsoever. Patrick was critiquing the clarity of the explanations. This means that the DVD could have been about aiming in pool, or about building a helicopter. The subject material really has no bearing on whether that material is delivered clearly or not. The second item Patrick critiqued was the novelty of the information. Seeing as Patrick has 7000 posts and is well known on this forum, it would be fair to assume that he has a fairly good knowledge of *what* topics have been discussed on the forums before, and hence would be pretty well informed about whether the info on the DVD was new. Finally, Patrick critiqued the value of the DVD. It was his opinion that the price was not justified by the clarity, novelty, or production values of the DVD. If you notice, none of these things require any knowledge of pool really. Instead, they require knowledge of learning, logic, and clarity of expression. These things Patrick consistently displays in his posts. Thus I would point to this concept as his "qualifications" for posting the review.

Oh, I suppose that the other qualification is that he signed up with a user name and password to post his opinions on this forum, just like you and I. I'm pretty sure that *really* this is the only qualification necessary, as not everyone shows that they are as qualified as PJ in that other capacity described above.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm saying there is absolutely nothing wrong with great players selling their services and products and talking about it at length on AZB.

Did you read my review? It is much like yours in that I reviewed a product that I didn't understand how to use. I don't see how this is helpful in anyway.

So I'm 'Suggesting' that if someone reviews a product that they completely understand the product before blasting it and suggesting that people stay away from it. Gene was very open and stated numerous times that if you needed additional help understanding the DVD to call him personally.

A food critic would order many dishes from a restaurant and if they didn't know how something was made or what the ingredients were, they'd inquire. If they just guessed and were wrong, like in your case, they would have egg all over their faces and so would the restaurant. A Lose-Lose situation.

Stuckart,

I think one thing that is missing from your logic here is that the whole point of the DVD is to show how to use the information contained on it. If you watch the DVD and don't understand it, then the possibility certainly exists that the DVD is not effective. Of course, the possibility also exists that the person watching it is not particularly bright. However, to paraphrase a wiser man than I: "I will determine if someone is worth listening to by listening to them".

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A food critic would order many dishes from a restaurant and if they didn't know how something was made or what the ingredients were, they'd inquire. If they just guessed and were wrong, like in your case, they would have egg all over their faces and so would the restaurant. A Lose-Lose situation.

However, if the menu said "100 lb steak", and it what came out was a 16oz., it may not really be necessary to "inquire" of the chef how to "understand" the serving given as being 100 lbs.

Words mean specific things. I often have conversations with people and they use the phrase "well that's not what that means to me" with respect to certain phrases. Choosing the right words is part of producing a good instructional DVD.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you sir may be an brainy person, but I would rather hear a real good players review or comments about an instructional dvd or anything to do with pool, because his comments hold way more weight.

Indeed...intelligence is not for everyone. I have met some pretty stupid people that play fantastic pool. I do not really remember any of these players having vast experience with *teaching* or *learning*, or communicating effectively. I realize as I type, though, that I should have ended with my first sentence...

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
weaker side huh, what makes it weaker sir? When you ask a person valid questions, and they won't respond with an answer, just another question, how does that clarify anything, not just to me, but other posters who may feel the same as i?

You understood what he was saying, didn't you? I did quite clearly.

To recap, i don't have anything personal against patrick, just the way he has bashed gene and his dvd from the start

Did Patrick bash Gene? The only thing I heard him say about Gene was that he seemed to be a sincere guy that wanted to help people.

A review by him is fine, and can be done in such a way as to not reveal details that gene is selling.

Didn't Patrick mention that the exact same thing was already addressed at length on these forums? If Patrick explained the DVD clearly, and stated that the same explanation was already available on the forums, then two things are true. First, Patrick did in fact understand the material, and second, Patrick did not give anything away. If Patrick did *not* explain the DVD clearly, then he didn't give anything away. So either way, he didn't give anything away.

Patrick saw no value in the dvd, thats fine and his opinion. But he shouldn't be bashing gene about advertising by virtue of talking about his dvd. Like i said before, he is not the azbilliars advertising watchdog. If mike or the moderator had a problem with it ,they would have addressed it with gene.

Patrick in no way suggested that Gene should not promote his DVD. He suggested that we should not buy it. Likewise, if Mike or the moderator have a problem with PJ's review, I'm sure they will remove it. How is your method of attacking Patrick's review *any* different than the claims you make about Patrick? Are you not being the azbilliards review watchdog?

And as far as the cost, thats anybody's own business, not patricks. If you pick up 1 thing you didn't know, i think $80 is cheap. Only the person who views it can make this summation. And again it's their choice.
Actually, since its Patrick's review, and he chose to review the DVD for (among other things) value, then actually it is specifically Patrick's business, and all of ours to the extent we are interested.

Hope that clarifies my stance for you. We all want to get better at this great game. Good luck with your game

It does. Good luck to you too. We certainly all learn in our own way. Sharing what we learn can sometimes be helpful to others. Sometimes not.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well it sounds like you do have something against pj. as i stated before i cant always agree with him but he is spot on with his review. pj never bashed gene. gene came on here to peddle his product. when he brought his system into the public he invited public review of both his product and sales methods. these are not moderator functions. (and the mods did move his original thread to the for sale section where it belonged). as proved in this thread and others there are many who completely agree with pj's assessment of "perfect aim".

pj didnt make himself the advertising watch dog. he also did not resort to personal attacks and name calling that other posters have in this thread. he provided a review of a product. thats all. the rest is whatever you and the rest of the perfect aim posse made of it.

i to am trying to improve my game. when i spent $80 i was expecting more bang for my buck esp with all of gene's hype. no matter how the prefect aim posse wants to slice the pie there are plenty of unsatisfied customers and anyone considering buying this product has a right to know that as much has they do to hear from the folks that found it useful.

brian

Tap tap. Well put.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon, here you have come to the real issue. What Patrick wrote in his review does not in any way depend on any knowledge of pool whatsoever. Patrick was critiquing the clarity of the explanations. This means that the DVD could have been about aiming in pool, or about building a helicopter. The subject material really has no bearing on whether that material is delivered clearly or not. The second item Patrick critiqued was the novelty of the information. Seeing as Patrick has 7000 posts and is well known on this forum, it would be fair to assume that he has a fairly good knowledge of *what* topics have been discussed on the forums before, and hence would be pretty well informed about whether the info on the DVD was new. Finally, Patrick critiqued the value of the DVD. It was his opinion that the price was not justified by the clarity, novelty, or production values of the DVD. If you notice, none of these things require any knowledge of pool really. Instead, they require knowledge of learning, logic, and clarity of expression. These things Patrick consistently displays in his posts. Thus I would point to this concept as his "qualifications" for posting the review.

Oh, I suppose that the other qualification is that he signed up with a user name and password to post his opinions on this forum, just like you and I. I'm pretty sure that *really* this is the only qualification necessary, as not everyone shows that they are as qualified as PJ in that other capacity described above.

KMRUNOUT

Wow, we found PJ's brother. Where has info like Gene's been discussed on this forum before? Don't say do a search, PJ said it now prove it.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
If you don't give lessons, and i haven't seen your`resume as far as playing pool, i.e titles won, player ranking, past playing history etc. Then what qualifies you to critique genes dvd?? I have seen many of your posts, maybe ii got the impression you were a pool instructor because of what i read, please enlighten me to your qualifications to post technical pool things on this forum. Whether it be from playing pool or instructing pool. I really would like to know patrick, no disrespect meant in this request. Maybe i'm wrong thinking your a certified instructor?

There are mainly two requirements for being a good teacher (instructor): good knowledge, and good communication skills. Patrick Johnson has repeatedly demonstrated that he is in possession of both. And there are no edicts that say he cannot possess and share these qualities without obtaining them from an official certifying agency. I think anyone (including me) could learn a lot from PJ if he were to give lessons.

Roger

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Stuckart,

I think one thing that is missing from your logic here is that the whole point of the DVD is to show how to use the information contained on it. If you watch the DVD and don't understand it, then the possibility certainly exists that the DVD is not effective. Of course, the possibility also exists that the person watching it is not particularly bright. However, to paraphrase a wiser man than I: "I will determine if someone is worth listening to by listening to them".

KMRUNOUT

So I have a question.

Do you believe someone that doesn't understand the material should post to a forum of potential customers and provide incorrect information about what is contained in the DVD?

I see nothing wrong with PJ writing a review for a product that has already been reviewed by many. My issue is that he has appeared to divulge secret information about the contents of the video, but in reality has made a libel claim.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are mainly two requirements for being a good teacher (instructor): good knowledge, and good communication skills. Patrick Johnson has repeatedly demonstrated that he is in possession of both. And there are no edicts that say he cannot possess and share these qualities without obtaining them from an official certifying agency. I think anyone (including me) could learn a lot from PJ if he were to give lessons.
Agreed! I have certainly learned some things from PJ posts over the years, and I have him quoted extensively in my FAQ pages.

Good post,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
eezbank:
Anyone that has followed Gene's threads or has the time to go back through your posts can see how you have been at odds over this with perfect aim from the start.

schon867
i don't have anything personal against patrick, just the way he has bashed gene and his dvd from the start

These are untrue statements - why are they necessary unless you have no real argument? I've rarely posted in any thread about Perfect Aim and I haven't said anything against it before this review because I didn't know anything about it until I saw the dvd (despite the endless threads about it). Doesn't that fact alone mean a factual review was long overdue?

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
stuckart:
Do you believe someone that doesn't understand the material should post to a forum of potential customers and provide incorrect information about what is contained in the DVD?

The only incorrect information we know about is your unsupported accusations. I think the real question here is why do feel it's necessary? If supporting Gene's technique and dvd requires you to make stuff up, what does that say for Gene's dvd or for your ability to understand it?

pj
chgo

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Rather than argue, talk with your GREEN. Anyone who want is FREE to buy the "Perfect Ainin" DVD, anyone who think it is not a good value save your GREEN.

Personally I think you got a ship load of info here for FREE. Talk advantage of it before Dr. Dave Start Charging $80.00 to ACCESS his GREAT WEB SITE!!!!!

Again thanks PJ's for your review or as they say your impression, and opinion.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are untrue statements - why are they necessary unless you have no real argument? I've rarely posted in any thread about Perfect Aim and I haven't said anything against it before this review because I didn't know anything about it until I saw the dvd (despite the endless threads about it). Doesn't that fact alone mean a factual review was long overdue?

pj
chgo

WOW, you going to stick to that story?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Patrick,

I have not seen Genes information before. Either on video or online. I did google searches of what you called his technique on your first post and the only pool related things that came up were on Dr Daves FAQ website. His site did not have the same information Gene's dvd did. The video that Mike Page made had similar information, but it was missing a core concept of Gene's.

Here is your quote from your first post about this:
That’s really all there is to the technique, and it’s obviously nothing new to AZB (and not proprietary intellectual property). Aligning the CB’s edge with the overlap point on the OB is simply the well known “double overlap” or “double offset” system, and positioning the eye directly over this line is one of several possible eye positions that have been extensively discussed and debated here. Gene seems to think that his opinion about the correct answer to this narrow question is worth $80 - I don’t think it’s worth very much at all, but maybe that’s just me.

I ask you to post links of where this has been discussed extensively, as you say it has in your first post.

To remind you, I have tried to find the information and I could not. I'm not just trying to jerk you around.

Status
Not open for further replies.