Perfect aim - review

Status
Not open for further replies.

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm truly sorry to have to be so blunt about Gene's video - like I said in my review, he seems like a likable and sincere guy who really wants to help others. I wouldn't speak up except that he promotes his video sales so relentlessly here on AZB that I feel AZB readers are being done an injustice if they don't know the "other side" of the story.

WHO APPOINTED YOU TO TELL THE SUPPOSED OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY? WHY? BECAUSE YOU TOO ALSO GIVE POOL LESSONS? ONE INSTRUCTOR CALLS ANOTHER INSTRUCTORS METHODS NOT VALID. THAT TO ME SEEMS UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR TOWARDS A FELLOW INSTRUCTOR , AND WHY, BECAUSE HIS DVD IS $80? YOUR MOTIVES IN MY OPINION ARE SELF SERVING.

pj
chgo

P.S. Since Spidey seems to be on vacation, we can only guess what his insightful and informative rebuttal of my comments would be. Maybe somebody else knows enough entertaining expletives to fill in for him.[/QUOTE]

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Now that's not fair ... at least wait for him to return before you try to get him started again. :wink:

And you're going to get coal and switches in your stocking if you keep stoking the fire. :wink:

JoeyA

RD3P

Banned
i have a question for spidey on his throw the cue draw video....
on that particular shot or any for that mattter id think you could get more draw on the ball if you didnt throw the cue? so why throw the cue?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a question for spidey on his throw the cue draw video....
on that particular shot or any for that mattter id think you could get more draw on the ball if you didnt throw the cue? so why throw the cue?

Why do you people think instead of just trying it? Go throw your cue, you might like it.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]
WHO APPOINTED YOU TO TELL THE SUPPOSED OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY? WHY? BECAUSE YOU TOO ALSO GIVE POOL LESSONS? ONE INSTRUCTOR CALLS ANOTHER INSTRUCTORS METHODS NOT VALID. THAT TO ME SEEMS UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR TOWARDS A FELLOW INSTRUCTOR , AND WHY, BECAUSE HIS DVD IS $80? YOUR MOTIVES IN MY OPINION ARE SELF SERVING. [...]

This is not fair.

Whatever you may think of PJ's candor and style, there are not many people more qualified to critically evaluate claims at the technical/practical interface in pool.

The other person that's avoided the ad hominem attacks and commented on the DVD here is Tin Man. He found value for him, and found the advice worth the cost.

That's interesting to me because he too is a smart and thoughtful guy.

I guarantee if you locked PJ and Tin Man in a room and came back in 24 hours, they'd emerge with a common understanding and at least a not too dissimilar judgment.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are having a 1 handed 1-hole tourney at the DCC this year being organized at onepocket.org.

I think we should also have a "throw the stick" tourney there. Must throw stick on every shot. I bet people could "sweep" the balls towards their hole when the stick hits the table for extra advantage.

Sorry Spider, couldn't resist :)

All in good fun...

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
I guarantee if you locked PJ and Tin Man in a room and came back in 24 hours, they'd emerge with a common understanding and at least a not too dissimilar judgment.

This sounds like a great one for the action room! We lock them in a room, and take bets on both sides who will change their mind!

I smell a reality show here!

Jw

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like everyone to look at this link and watch the two videos (especially the 2nd):

http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-3.htm

They are on Dr Dave's website. Mike Page made them. I had seen them when Mike first made them a while back, but they didn't really click for me. But now, after learning (and liking) Gene's method, Mike's information made a lot of sense. I could really get a good understanding of the different eye positions Mike points out. I personally don't agree with all of his conclusions, but it is a very informative video.

Gene's information is along the similar lines as Mikes video. One major difference is Mike gives several options of where to put your eyes. He does not state one is definitely better than the next, although he does have a nice system for picking the options that give you the best chance of "seeing" the target. Gene on the other hand spells out explicitly which option is best. I personally like genes option, because you are always looking at what you are aiming at (as opposed to a spot you cant see because its blocked by the cueball).

Regardless of my opinion on this, please check out Mikes 2 videos. They are very well done. I think the people who bought Gene's video will relate to Mikes information very well.

Good job Mike.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I thought AZB banned Spidey because he said I wasn't "enthusiastic" enough on my new DVDs. :sorry: :grin:

It sure seems quiet around here the last couple of days. I think I miss Spidey. Please bring him back. Honestly!

Regards,
Dave

I'm surprised that his spidey sense didn't start tingling when he was typing the words that would get him banned.
Either that or he ignore the tingling.:D

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
schon267:
WHO APPOINTED YOU TO TELL THE SUPPOSED OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY? WHY? BECAUSE YOU TOO ALSO GIVE POOL LESSONS? ONE INSTRUCTOR CALLS ANOTHER INSTRUCTORS METHODS NOT VALID. THAT TO ME SEEMS UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR TOWARDS A FELLOW INSTRUCTOR , AND WHY, BECAUSE HIS DVD IS $80? YOUR MOTIVES IN MY OPINION ARE SELF SERVING.

What gave you the idea that I'm an instructor or have any financial stake in anything related to pool? Your irrational reaction suggests a far deeper bias than you accuse me of. I think maybe it's your motives that need checking.

pj
chgo

(P.S. It's the "Caps Lock" key.)

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what gave you the idea that i'm an instructor or have any financial stake in anything related to pool? Your irrational reaction suggests a far deeper bias than you accuse me of. I think maybe it's your motives that need checking.

Pj
chgo

(p.s. It's the "caps lock" key.)

i'm not irrational at all, nor have any motives other then stating my opinion on your self appointed statements regarding gene's dvd and methods.

If you don't give lessons, and i haven't seen your`resume as far as playing pool, i.e titles won, player ranking, past playing history etc. Then what qualifies you to critique genes dvd?? I have seen many of your posts, maybe ii got the impression you were a pool instructor because of what i read, please enlighten me to your qualifications to post technical pool things on this forum. Whether it be from playing pool or instructing pool. I really would like to know patrick, no disrespect meant in this request. Maybe i'm wrong thinking your a certified instructor?

I will do the same if you want me too, just so you too know what my experience is with pool.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not fair.

Whatever you may think of PJ's candor and style, there are not many people more qualified to critically evaluate claims at the technical/practical interface in pool.

The other person that's avoided the ad hominem attacks and commented on the DVD here is Tin Man. He found value for him, and found the advice worth the cost.

That's interesting to me because he too is a smart and thoughtful guy.

Mike, Gene was at your poolroom, what did you think? Surely you got a taste of perfect aim.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i'm not irrational at all, nor have any motives other then stating my opinion on your self appointed statements regarding gene's dvd and methods.

Everybody's opinions are self-appointed, including yours and Gene's.

If you don't give lessons, and i haven't seen your`resume as far as playing pool, i.e titles won, player ranking, past playing history etc. Then what qualifies you to critique genes dvd??

What qualifies you to critique my critique? We all display our "qualifications" every time we post.

I have seen many of your posts, maybe ii got the impression you were a pool instructor because of what i read, please enlighten me to your qualifications to post technical pool things on this forum.

What qualifications are needed? What qualifications do you need to judge the technical things I post?

Whether it be from playing pool or instructing pool. I really would like to know patrick, no disrespect meant in this request. Maybe i'm wrong thinking your a certified instructor?

I'm not any kind of instructor. I taught a noncredit pool course at Northwestern U years ago, but had no special qualifications for it. I'm just a B player who pays attention. If that devalues what I say in your eyes, I'll just have to learn to live with that.

I will do the same if you want me too, just so you too know what my experience is with pool.

I don't need to see anybody's "pool credentials" - I've learned they don't mean much. The most overrated qualification for "technical" pool knowledge is how well somebody plays.

I can figure out whether or not you're worth listening to by listening to you.

pj
chgo

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rep to you

Everybody's opinions are self-appointed, including yours and Gene's.

What qualifies you to critique my critique? We all display our "qualifications" every time we post.

What qualifications are needed? What qualifications do you need to judge the technical things I post?

I'm not any kind of instructor. I taught a noncredit pool course at Northwestern U years ago, but had no special qualifications for it. I'm just a B player who pays attention. If that devalues what I say in your eyes, I'll just have to learn to live with that.

I don't need to see anybody's "pool credentials" - I've learned they don't mean much. The most overrated qualification for "technical" pool knowledge is how well somebody plays.

I can figure out whether or not you're worth listening to by listening to you.

pj
chgo

pj, Couldn't actually give any. But again, well thought out and right on the money.

regards......Paul

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, Gene was at your poolroom, what did you think? Surely you got a taste of perfect aim.

I spoke to Gene many times during his several days in Fargo, but only for perhaps half an hour on aiming and eye alignment issues. He told me afterwords that he would like to spend another hour with me.

Then I got tied up in things, and I couldn't spend that time.

So the bottom line is I don't know enough to comment.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, comments on Mike's videos, along with more sighting options and links to related resources can be found here:

Regards,
Dave

I'd like everyone to look at this link and watch the two videos (especially the 2nd):

They are on Dr Dave's website. Mike Page made them. I had seen them when Mike first made them a while back, but they didn't really click for me. But now, after learning (and liking) Gene's method, Mike's information made a lot of sense. I could really get a good understanding of the different eye positions Mike points out. I personally don't agree with all of his conclusions, but it is a very informative video.

Gene's information is along the similar lines as Mikes video. One major difference is Mike gives several options of where to put your eyes. He does not state one is definitely better than the next, although he does have a nice system for picking the options that give you the best chance of "seeing" the target. Gene on the other hand spells out explicitly which option is best. I personally like genes option, because you are always looking at what you are aiming at (as opposed to a spot you cant see because its blocked by the cueball).

Regardless of my opinion on this, please check out Mikes 2 videos. They are very well done. I think the people who bought Gene's video will relate to Mikes information very well.

Good job Mike.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member

Good job Mike.[/QUOTE

Fanning through all the flames, I still managed to lay low and learn something. Regardless of what some people may think of pj, I am willing to believe one thing. Genes 80 dollar dvd has some good info on it. But, much of this info is not new....or has been repackaged. Thanks for the link, iusedtoberich.

Last edited:

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Mr. Johnson -

I see someone self promoting on the forum! Get after her!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=166034

$13 bucks for a piece of plastic. $20 for two of them? OMG, OUTRAGIOUS!!!!

We can't let anyone get away with this!!! How dare them to use a free forum to connect with the customers directly and promote something that they might find useful.

My Review

I got my hands on the Robin Dotson "Cue-It-Up!" so that I could review it. It's apparently the 5th attempt at a Cue Clip - I never saw the first ones.

My Opinion: It's so bad that it doesn't even deserve a serious review, and I wouldn't bother except for the fact that Robin continues to promote it heavily on AZB, makes extraordinary claims for its uniqueness and effectiveness, and asks an outrageous price for it ($13 for 1, $20 for 2).

My advice: save your money and instead reread some AZB threads on the topic.

I reviewed this self proclaiming overpriced object and it didn't work at all. I clipped it onto my cues but they didn't stand by themselves. I can't believe someone of their playing ability would sell such a product and try and promote it here, right if front of our faces. Do not buy this POS as it doesn't work.

ps. Sorry Robin, Just using your post as an example to show how ridiculous this thread is. And I'm buying 2 of them for my team!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
stuckart:
I see someone self promoting on the forum! Get after her!

Are you suggesting there should be product advertising on AZB but no product reviews? Or only positive reviews? Or only ones that you agree with? Or are you just holding Spidey's place for him?

pj
chgo

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Are you suggesting there should be product advertising on AZB but no product reviews? Or only positive reviews? Or only ones that you agree with? Or are you just holding Spidey's place for him?

pj
chgo

I'm saying there is absolutely nothing wrong with great players selling their services and products and talking about it at length on AZB.

Did you read my review? It is much like yours in that I reviewed a product that I didn't understand how to use. I don't see how this is helpful in anyway.

So I'm 'Suggesting' that if someone reviews a product that they completely understand the product before blasting it and suggesting that people stay away from it. Gene was very open and stated numerous times that if you needed additional help understanding the DVD to call him personally.

A food critic would order many dishes from a restaurant and if they didn't know how something was made or what the ingredients were, they'd inquire. If they just guessed and were wrong, like in your case, they would have egg all over their faces and so would the restaurant. A Lose-Lose situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.