Pool advice in Esquire?

MisterBanker

Appalachain American
Silver Member
33. Hit a jump shot in pool. It's not something you use a lot, but when you hit a jump shot, it marks you as a player and briefly impresses women. Make the angle of your cue steeper, aim for the bottommost fraction of the ball, and drive the cue smoothly six inches past the contact point, making steady, downward contact with the felt.

I don't think the room owners will agree with this bit of advice...

http://www.esquire.com/features/essential-skills-0508

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
As typical of these magazines, this list is a bunch of gimmicks intended to make guys feel like some sort of James Bond. After all, life is just a procession of gimmicks to get the girl.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Esquire

Great, now there is going to be 10,000 more bangers that read Esquire
scooping that baby right up and over, thinking it's going to get them laid...:eek:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Great, now there is going to be 10,000 more bangers that read Esquire
scooping that baby right up and over, thinking it's going to get them laid...:eek:

I never had a problem getting some w/o ever using a jump-shot...but I do a mean Tom Cruise cue twirl. Johnnyt

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know who Tom Chiarella is, but I'd like to play HIM some lol

Tom Chiarella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tom Chiarella is Visiting Professor of Creative Writing at DePauw University and writer-at-large and fiction editor of Esquire Magazine.

Does explain a lot :grin::grin::grin:

ChazL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Esquire used to be such a great magazine. Now nothing more than another FHM-style rag.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like how you said the jump briefly impresses women , I suppose it wouldnt be far fetch to believe that some pool players jump shot got a broad to go home with them for the Shaft burial,, but I do think its unlikely....:grin:

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
What a dumb bastid....now that he has informed the world of the Jump Shot aphrodisiac effect.......Armani and Rolex will pull their ads.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
if i ever meet whomever wrote that

i'm going to find the nearest Walla-buska and bludgeon him/her to death with it. Then shoot a jump shot right into thier mouth with a bowling ball.

Piss on esquire poser fag mag
Grey Ghost

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
If you want to impress women by playing pool, playing well whilst not taking the game too seriously (ie. have fun, it's not competition) will do more than an awkward jump shot (illegally done or not).

FWIW this article appears to be mostly a joke.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I think they are M1 rifles

M1 Garand...Patton dubbed them "The best battle weapon ever designed".
But then, he probably didn't carry one for miles & miles...They are pretty heavy. Well over eight pounds.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I carried an M1 for three years, until they shifted to the newer model. Why do I remember it was 9.3 pounds? I learned to field strip it in the dark (never did it blind folded).

The only time I hated that rifle was when a DI made us hold it at arm's length by the stacking swivel. Nobody could do it for very long. But I agree it was the best of rifles.

With a bayonet attached you felt like you could take on anybody or any group of anybodies. :eek:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7.62mm

The M-14 was 7.62mm, was the M-1 as well? The M-14 was heavy too.

We used the the M-14 for basic training- weapons qualification and drill at Ft Bliss Texas, spring 1967. I don't know when the M-16 came on line for basic training, but it must have been very soon thereafter. It believe it was the infantry AIT weapon in that same time slot.

Met a man later who said he helped develop the M-16. Armalite mfg?

The M-14 was pretty accurate. Is it the equivalent of 30-06?

Been a long time.

3railkick