Unknown "monster" players

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
long thread havent read alot of it but............

has anyone mentioned lyle gay from ohio, i think the name is right and he used to be called the indian. great player,played barefoot way back when ! got stories, deposit here please.:cool:

bobbycotton

PoolHall Junkie
Silver Member
Buddy vs. Jerry

I agree with you, I think with a regular cue ball Buddy was the best on the bar box or the big table, I've seen him play perfect countless times!

OklaPony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, what a thread. I knew I should've started paying more attention to this place a long time ago, lol. I've hardly screwed a cue together in about 4 years or so but I'm starting to get the bug again.

I haven't read the whole thing but saw some of the OK player related posts and a few folks came to mind.

Tom Schultz (RIP), otherwise known as Tommy Tucker or just Tucker. Played in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. He ran around with Norman Hitchcock but mostly stayed out of the tournies and concentrated more on the practice rooms. He put the cue down for several years then picked it up again in the early 90's. Godzilla stroke. Cancer got him.

I used to see Driller play some pretty pool in OKC.

Someone mentioned Larry Humphries. If memory serves he's actually from Duncan, not Lawton. Haven't seen or heard of him in forever.

A couple of guys came through in about '91 or so from Colo. Springs. Older of the two, maybe late forties, called himself The Cowboy claimed to own a poll room up there, and the younger known as Andre. We took 'em for a little bit and never saw 'em again.

Jr. Brown was mentioned earlier, he definitely was NOT an unknown in KS and OK.

Donnie Brown was in OK a bunch in the 90's, no idea what happened to him.

Anybody know of Cricket that used to live around Enid? He kept a really low profile. How about Randy Estes?

Anyone know of a hustler from Kentucky (I think) name Rusty. A horse rancher brought him out to OK around 93 or so. Only played as good as he had to in order to win. No idea how good he actually could shoot, but it was always just good enough.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Any Lefty Bennett stories out of Knoxville? I know Amarillo Slim mentioned him in his book but it was non-pool related. I know he made a big score in out west and either Sigel or Mataya hung out for a week waiting for him to get home with the cheese before he broke em and sent em on their way in 2 days...

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Under the radar?

There have been some pretty good Pennsylvania players over the last 30-35 years.

Dave Daya
Pat McNally
Ed Matashoneck
Jimmy Matz RIP
Bernard Rogoff "Pots & Pans"
Jaffer Basheer "One Eye Henry"
Peter Linehart "Peter Rabbit"
Bob Maidhoff "Florida Bob"
Ace Autry
Eddie Abraham
Jerry Slivka
Mark Gregory
Gary Nolan "Bushwacker"
Mike McClain
Andy Toth
Lester Smuliaitz
Tom Golly
Billy McCoy
Mike Miller
Joe Veasey
Jimmy Fusco
Pete Fusco
John Hennigan "Cornflakes"
Maynard Parrish "Rip"

To name a few & not necessarily.

jigmoore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, what a thread. I knew I should've started paying more attention to this place a long time ago, lol. I've hardly screwed a cue together in about 4 years or so but I'm starting to get the bug again.

I haven't read the whole thing but saw some of the OK player related posts and a few folks came to mind.

Tom Schultz (RIP), otherwise known as Tommy Tucker or just Tucker. Played in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. He ran around with Norman Hitchcock but mostly stayed out of the tournies and concentrated more on the practice rooms. He put the cue down for several years then picked it up again in the early 90's. Godzilla stroke. Cancer got him.

Someone mentioned Larry Humphries. If memory serves he's actually from Duncan, not Lawton. Haven't seen or heard of him in forever.

A couple of guys came through in about '91 or so from Colo. Springs. Older of the two, maybe late forties, called himself The Cowboy claimed to own a poll room up there, and the younger known as Andre. We took 'em for a little bit and never saw 'em again.

Anybody know of Cricket that used to live around Enid? He kept a really low profile. How about Randy Estes?

Anyone know of a hustler from Kentucky (I think) name Rusty. A horse rancher brought him out to OK around 93 or so. Only played as good as he had to in order to win. No idea how good he actually could shoot, but it was always just good enough.

I used to play a bunch with Donnie when I was in OKC from '88-'96. I was just in Cincinatti at Airport Billiards about a year ago. A guy that works there told me either he or his best friend were roomates with Donnie. I think Donnie went where we all feared. I think a chick got him all screwed up on drugs. Not sure if I remember correctly, though. But knew he always had that leaning.

Funny you just mentioned Driller. His name just popped into my head yesterday, and couldn't picture him. Gary Drennan, right? IIRC, didn't he pass away early 90's?

SlimShafty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been some pretty good Pennsylvania players over the last 30-35 years.

Dave Daya
Pat McNally
Ed Matashoneck
Jimmy Matz RIP
Bernard Rogoff "Pots & Pans"
Jaffer Basheer "One Eye Henry"
Peter Linehart "Peter Rabbit"
Bob Maidhoff "Florida Bob"
Ace Autry
Eddie Abraham
Jerry Slivka
Mark Gregory
Gary Nolan "Bushwacker"
Mike McClain
Andy Toth
Lester Smuliaitz
Tom Golly
Billy McCoy
Mike Miller
Joe Veasey
Jimmy Fusco
Pete Fusco
John Hennigan "Cornflakes"
Maynard Parrish "Rip"

To name a few & not necessarily.

I saw Tom Golly play ohh must have been 20 years ago, probably the first really good player I saw in person, saw him take out some good players. I think he was a blackjack dealer at the time, not sure, I wonder if he still plays?

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
Good call on the "Fat Harold." Once he started sweatin', you might as well have a seat.

I saw Fat Harold once at a tourny in Jackson NC,his stoke was so smooth,he and Cliff Joyner were the class of the field!I spoke with him a little and he seemed like a very nice guy also.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me throw another name out there that some may have heard of(Weldon "Jr" Rogers). Also one of the very best one-handed players ever. before you ask, yes he has two hands.

WOW, there is a blast from the past. Weldon rogers was one of the smoothest old style Scufflers I ever knew or saw. I have though not seenor heard from him in about 20 years. Last I heard he was hustling golf in Florida and doing quite well!!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy Sanders name comes to mind. NOt totally unknown but not
very well known for sure.

In todays world many players have no idea who Mark Tadd is/was or
Greg/Craig Stevens.

Tommy Sanders when living in Port Arthur texas beat many good players. He had an exciting syle p play and didn't cuk very many shots. Tommy now l ives in Austin tx and realy is a classy man! He comes out once in a while and will play a tournament and usually does well. He changed his life and doesn't gamble at all now and when playing tournaments and cashes, donates the money to his church!!

Mark tadd was a monster too. He posts here at times.

Greg Stevens, Iwent on the road with and culd tell a mumber of stories baout this guy, but few today would believe them Just ask Buddy or Grady about him sometime. he was very entertaining and when he caught his gear many were simply terrified!!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eugene Browning. Period. Whatever happened to that guy?

Last I heard eugene was living in Lake Jackson , just south of Houston. He came to a couple of my torunaments a few hyears back and seemed to be playing just enough pool to be totally frustrated. The man had talent!!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I played Tucker at Trueloves in OKC back when I was playing my best 9 ball. I liked Tom a lot. He was a nice guy and just loved pool and loved 9 ball.

Gary , the Driller I saw last year in OKC. He is doing just fine. Gary is a good guy who had many health problem at the height of his playing days. He is one tough guy to have even survived all his problems. He looked great though.

Cowboy played ok, but more mouth than anything else. Now Dick Henry was an intresting guy from Colo Springs. Years ago, it took Buddy like 3-4 days to finally be Dick. I staked Craig Stevens to play dick in Denver years ago and it was one of the most bizzare thigs I ever saw, but Craig "finally"won in a true marathon!!

I heard randy Esstes doesn't play anymore!!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't talked to Fez in over a year. He was at a Veteren's home about 150 miles from El Paso and had been there for the last three years. Another friend of mine had stopped to see him a few months ago and he was barely hanging on. He was something else...we cracked many a pop together and would take him to some out of town tourneys in Texas. At 93 he still had game and played all the barbox local tourneys for something to do. He loved to sweat the action but would only bet on a few because he had been dumped so many times. What a character. Bobby Madrid still plays some across town, don't see him much. Not a lot of action around here these days, everybody is scared, wants the mortal nuts and have turned into a bunch of lamb killers. Oh well, it's probanly saved me a ton of cash.:D

i ran into Fez In Odessa tx way back in about 81-82. I didn't know hime and we played on the bar box. He was in a white shirt pleated slacks, wing tipp shoes and his hands shook like the wwest aTexas wind. My partner and Iwere laughing and I told him this woul be over with in an hour. He was astubborn old man and I told my partner the same thing8 hours later and finally they kicked us out fo Woddys at 3 am and dead even. I was rather happy they did at that point.

Fez walked over and shoook my hand and asked me toplay agian the next day. We agreed and met and played about 6 hours. I had him six games stuck, he ran 6 on me to get even and I said I had had enough. The old man had a twinkle in his eye and then took us out to dinner. We shared some spots and made some money and only saw him a couple of times afterwards. We talked often though.

I truely love and repspect Fez!!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was in Vegas, Cotton asked me about Dave Jaeger (sp?). I used to play him about 15 years ago and he was certainly a barbox monster from Clinton Iowa. A fishing accident (fish hook in his right eye) ended his pool career about 10 years ago.

Another relative unknown is Donny Branson. He gave me the 8 and the break and beat me 11 to 1 a couple years ago on a Gold Crown. I didn't think anybody I'd never heard of could do it.

Dave Yager, another balst from the past. Nice guy too!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Joe is a well known player! All I was saying was when Joe was on the road in his early days he wasn't known, that's why I classified him as an unknown player in his early years. Everyone starts out unknown until they beat a few noticeable players and people start to take notice. In his day he beat a a lot of great players before they starting talking and he got noticed, then everyone was scared to play him.

i happen to know Joe quite well and I am afraid to to tell some of the stories he told. Like the time he gave siegel the 7 on the bart table and beat him and that is just a teazer too. I doubt Joe minds to much now as he plays very, very seldom, but I'm afraid most wouldn't believe most of the stories!