I want one of these....

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played on one of these but based upon the table I have, I would avoid A E Schmidt tables.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
After 100's of years of pool tables there isn't much left to change, so that's why table companies copy the the good things from ALL tables if there smart. Everything has been copied by everybody from ball returns to pockets. Johnnyt

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Eric,

I've tried out the Gabriel table at VF, several years ago. It plays very similar to a Diamond, IMO. The main difference, if I remember right, is that the Gabriel table has a steel "U beam" for a support and a slightly thicker slate. Other tahn that, it's a "homage" to a Diamond table.

If I recall a conversation I had with Greg Sullivan, I believe there was some hub bub when Diamond came out with their 7ft barbox table that had the smart sensor, which allows you to use a regular cueball. Shortly after, Gabriel came out with the same barbox, using the same technology. Seems like Gabriel is in the habit of making knock offs.

If it were me, I think you should just get another Diamond. But thats just me.

Eric

realkingcobra

Silver Member
After seeing the thread about getting a new table, it occoured to me, I have had a GC 3,4,5 so far the 4 was the best. I'm pissed at the 5 because it never stays level and some of the rolls come and go, and it has a few that are there no matter what. I love the table but cant fade the rolls. I have a Diamond-I'm happy with that table. But I like to try everything in pool and I never had one of these, I have been told they are the best:

http://www.gabrielsbilliards.com/pool/

I dont like the bags for drop pockets, but I bet this table has better cut slate than the GC does and it 30MM thick about 1.2" sitting on a steel frame, how can that be bad? unless you live at the beach.....Then I might not want a pool table anyways.

I think new room in Fargo has a few of them, if anyone knows anything about them email me at EP90210@hotmail.com

I like new things in pool, i enjoy trying everything and I havent tried one of these!!!

Fatboy....why don't you just let me cobrazise that Diamond you have and be done with the search for the best table:thumbup:

PS. there's so much MDF in that Gabriels table it's a joke! I just don't think it matches up in price, when the leg pedestals and rail blinds are all made out of MDF...and priced like solid Rosewood.

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Fatboy....why don't you just let me cobrazise that Diamond you have and be done with the search for the best table:thumbup:

PS. there's so much MDF in that Gabriels table it's a joke! I just don't think it matches up in price, when the leg pedestals and rail blinds are all made out of MDF...and priced like solid Rosewood.

WTH is MDF?

TYVM, a

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KiM STEEL,,,,,,,

Lots of interesting stuff here,,,,

How do the above compare to Kim Steel ???

Anyone out there in AZ LAND ever play on one ??

I understand ''Weenie Beanie'' had one in his home,,,,,

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
It has been my dream since I started playing pool 6 years ago to have a table in my home, I get the urge daily to hit balls and having to drive across town to get on a Diamond that might be in action stinks. I think to continue to improve my game a table is a must and I just cannot see myself getting a crappy home table, has to be a Diamond. :smile:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Eric, did you ever shoot on a Connelly table with the 2" slate (I'm sure you probably have)? I did once, and had a very high opinion of that table. If the pockets corners would have been level with the rails, it would have been my dream table!!!

Never shot on a Gabriel.

Maniac

No I never did play on a Connelly with the 2" slate, Awalys wanted to just never saw one,

I like the steel block rails on my snooker table, I showed them to John Broomback the bank champ and he loved the idea too, you wouldnt have a dead rail, if you did you would know about it right away and could easilly fix it,

If I had the $$ I would build a 9" table with the steel frame and steel block rails usint 60MM slate, it wouldnt be loud, I like the rails on the carom tables on the site linked on the OP, they have the wood over aluminium, so those metal and wood rails behind steel block cushions would be amazing with a giant steel frame, the table would weigh 5000 pounds. It wouldnt make a sound except when you pocket a ball. Soon as I get back in the chips again-I'm going to build this table, probably 10 of them because tooling up for just one makes no sence. It might just sell. It might be the end of Glens back cause it weighs so much-ever see him? he picks up pool tables like I do a laundry basket, he is Hurcles strong.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
If ONLY my home had the room... Still, style also matters to me. My dream table would be a Centennial...restored by an expert. Cobraized? :D!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy Tables Inc....

Eric,

I've tried out the Gabriel table at VF, several years ago. It plays very similar to a Diamond, IMO. The main difference, if I remember right, is that the Gabriel table has a steel "U beam" for a support and a slightly thicker slate. Other tahn that, it's a "homage" to a Diamond table.

If I recall a conversation I had with Greg Sullivan, I believe there was some hub bub when Diamond came out with their 7ft barbox table that had the smart sensor, which allows you to use a regular cueball. Shortly after, Gabriel came out with the same barbox, using the same technology. Seems like Gabriel is in the habit of making knock offs.

Eric

Hey Eric.

how ya been??:smile:

I dont know who is coping who Gaberials has been in biz since 1932. I really dont care, thats someone eles's deal.

I'm happy with my diamond, I dont need a 2nd one. I dont use the one I have now very often, its a good table for sure. a few things I dont like but its still a great box overall.

Glen,

yeah the legs are an issue MDF dosent move in dry areas or humid, like wood does. I havent figured out that part of my "Dream" table yet, I will in time. I might use 6 legs made of steel wrapped in 1/2" wood like the spiral staricase up to my office at home(I will show you next time your here) A good cabinent shop can do that, so the wood would only be cosmetic, the whole table(frame, rails, cushions, legs, etc would all be metal with very close tollarances. The wood would only be cosmetic not structural in any way at all.

I know this is a losing proposition business wise but so is buying a Lamborghini, but its fun to have fun. So building a batch of pool tables that would last 500 years is kinda cool. I have to get into the chips again, pay some taxes, pump up my bank roll, then I can think of launching operation Fatboy Table's-"The Fatest Tables in the World".:D does fatest have one or 2 t's in it????:sorry:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
After 100's of years of pool tables there isn't much left to change, so that's why table companies copy the the good things from ALL tables if there smart. Everything has been copied by everybody from ball returns to pockets. Johnnyt

What's the point here?

Marc Lehmacher invented the bag pocket and the one piece corner assembly.

Toby Kim invented the ultra quiet and ultra fast always works ball return. He also invented the electronic coin op mechanism that works on a battery and uses one third of the energy.

Diamond invented the cueball sensor.

Of course companies have to innovate where they can and if the competition gets ahead in some area then they have to respond.

My point in this thread however was that Gabriels has not done anything original in pool tables as far as I can see it. Now, maybe their table, being a composite of the best features they found in other tables is now itself a great table. That I don't know. I have not found them to "play" any better or worse than any other well built table.

Gabriels never built pool tables, only carom tables until they copied Lehmacher's designs and sold them to Lowensport in Germany.

Or, if they built pool tables no one wanted them until they came out with Lehmacher copies.

So they were smart. Why innovate when you can steal?

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Hey Eric.
"The Fatest Tables in the World".:D does fatest have one or 2 t's in it????:sorry:

2 :)

or should we call you FATEBOY?

I like the Gab's a lot. Very nice tables IMO. They do remind me of Diamonds and that is a good thing! They also have very deep drop pockets. You don't have to worry to much about balls popping out of the pockets or moving balls when they get too full. Sorry, I don't have much else to add. :embarrassed2:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Lots of interesting stuff here,,,,

How do the above compare to Kim Steel ???

Anyone out there in AZ LAND ever play on one ??

I understand ''Weenie Beanie'' had one in his home,,,,,

I had one for years. I loved it. It was solid and played great.

I liked it as much as I like my Lehmacher.

I know some people don't like them but I think a properly set up Kim Steel plays as good as anything in the world.

I personally could not level one of them though. They have slate levelers all around the table and I would go nuts trying to level the slate. I had the installers do it and left it alone when they were done.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Hey Eric.

I dont know who is coping who Gaberials has been in biz since 1932. I really dont care, thats someone eles's deal.

I'm happy with my diamond, I dont need a 2nd one. I dont use the one I have now very often, its a good table for sure. a few things I dont like but its still a great box overall.

Doin fine, hope you are too. I was gonna send you a PM, but you have it shut off. I'm gonna be staying in Henderson in May. I'll try to catch up with you to have that drink...

Eric

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hey Eric.

Glen,

yeah the legs are an issue MDF dosent move in dry areas or humid, like wood does. I havent figured out that part of my "Dream" table yet, I will in time. I might use 6 legs made of steel wrapped in 1/2" wood like the spiral staricase up to my office at home(I will show you next time your here) A good cabinent shop can do that, so the wood would only be cosmetic, the whole table(frame, rails, cushions, legs, etc would all be metal with very close tollarances. The wood would only be cosmetic not structural in any way at all.

I know this is a losing proposition business wise but so is buying a Lamborghini, but its fun to have fun. So building a batch of pool tables that would last 500 years is kinda cool. I have to get into the chips again, pay some taxes, pump up my bank roll, then I can think of launching operation Fatboy Table's-"The Fatest Tables in the World".:D does fatest have one or 2 t's in it????:sorry:

Depends on who's spelling it....YOU...or me:p

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Eric,

Eric

Using the inovations of other companies in your products is not the same as making knockoffs.

IMO some other pool table mnfs would do well to redesign thier products.The flush pockets are a simple way to make a table more playable.The use of a red circle CB is another desireable option for a coin-op table,although there has been a problem with people buying the CBs for 75 cents.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Using the inovations of other companies in your products is not the same as making knockoffs.

IMO some other pool table mnfs would do well to redesign thier products.The flush pockets are a simple way to make a table more playable.The use of a red circle CB is another desireable option for a coin-op table,although there has been a problem with people buying the CBs for 75 cents.

I hear what youre saying. The thing is, the Smart Sensor used in the Diamond Smart table barbox is *patented* by Diamond. If another company is using something that is patent protected, then, imo, it's a knock off.

Eric >or worse