Are you better or worse than what others think of you?

jdxprs

Banned
I don't see myself as strong a player as others seem to say i am. This got me to wondering how others here feel about themselves vs. what other people think.

are you better or worse than what people think you are?

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
I don't see myself as strong a player as others seem to say i am. This got me to wondering how others here feel about themselves vs. what other people think.

Apparently MUCH better than most poolplayers.....I've had a few say they needed 2 strokes PER hole!!! But, they do all know I suck playing pool. :eek: :p

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
Ok

What other people think of me is none of my damn business .What I think of
me is totally my business and can cause me to sink or swim .

Banks

Banned
To those that know me, I'm worse than they think. To those that don't, I'm better than that. :p

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
I think it's half and half. At the pool hall I go to, the clientèle are older black men who play a good bit of one pocket and banks. These regulars, who don't know me too well personally but see me practice, think that I am a "straight-shootin' muthaf***a." The people who work there, and who I'm more friendly with, rank me more realistically.

Either way, it's good motivation to hear their opinions. If they think I'm good, I want to get better to meet their expectations. If they think I'm just okay, I want to get better to beat their expectations. Win-win.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm worse than my leauge thinks I play, and suck just as badly as anyone with a clue thinks I suck.

Hope this helps,

Fred

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I personally think that I'm one the greatest guys that's ever lived. On the other hand, I have three wives who could put up a pretty strong argument against that. I guess it's a push. ;)

dru

Registered
Well me personally I feel like it depends on what day of the week, what equipment is being used, and how my stroke is. Id say Im about 50/50 with what people think...worst people think Im good, and better people think Im not...although I do get "the potential" speech alot...right Jeff?

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I'm always surprised when people think I'm a great player. Maybe my expectations of myself and my game are too high, but I think I play pretty average. Of course, it depends on the game, but I know a lot of people who play much better than me in my own area. Those are the people I compare myself to and aspire to play better against.

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True Story:

I was playing in a tournament and two guys came up to watch the event. One of them knew me, and the way I played, so he recommended to his friend that they sit and watch my match.

I was playing a great player to boot.

I played a flawless match and beat my opponent 9-1.

After the match, the man that knew me asked his friend, "What do you think of his game?" The other man replied, "I don't think he's that good. He never made a hard shot."

Moral of the story, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

BillyKoda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The good players in my little world of pool have learned to respect my game, they will never tell me that because that's the way they are. There are 3 or 4 players I run into a lot that I worry about but I don't let then know that either. :D

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I am probably worse than people think. Fortunately, I am learning to not pay attention to what they think. When it comes right down to it, I am the one that has to execute.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Apparently MUCH better than most poolplayers.....I've had a few say they needed 2 strokes PER hole!!! But, they do all know I suck playing pool. :eek: :p

2 strokes per hole, that's it...that's like a called 8-Ball the way you play.

Knock-Knock...anybody home????

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

It depends if I'm trying to win or just playing for fun.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on who you ask

Like most people it depends on who you ask. I can play real poorly sometimes and pretty strong sometimes. I was play a tournament in a different city where no one knew me(and there's really no reason too as I'm not great by any stretch of the imagination) and I played a guy who had just beaten a guy named Mike who is on the BCA masters list. I had played Mike a week before in the Dr. Cues tournament the week before and he beat me like a rented mule. Anyways I played this kid that beat Mike and I beat him 7-2 and I was making everything and getting shape on everything. During the match, I had just ran a few racks and as I'm racking he asks "who are you?" At the moment I just said I'm from the Springs. After the match I was think about that and I laughed my ass off because he thinks I'm some bad mofo and 99.9% of the time that just ain't so. I'm guessing I'm a "B" player although I really don't know. When I'm playing some guys at my local pool hall, I'm the guy the good players want to play because I'll give them some action and they usually win.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I think it comes down to the people that play in your particular room. The players in my room are not what you would consider tournament or money players. Mostly their leauge players so to them im considered a PRO :lol:

I would like to think that i am but when it comes to the REAL world of pool i would say im in the high amauter range or shoot anywhere between a strong B to an A player depending on my day.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
I am so inconsistent, people could say anything....many nights, I can't make a ball.....very few nights, I can't miss.....sort of a bad C player that shows hints of decent play every now and then....don't really play much anymore so you never know who's gonna show up.....some probably think I am better, some think worse.....dunno???