Not 99, not 101, but it was 100

sausage

Banned
i don't mean to sound contrary but aren't we here to evaluate the runs? nothing is gained from "good run". everybody knows that a 100 ball run is a good run.

i went out of my way to watch and evaluate marop's play and wanted to get inside his brain on some shot selection but i got no response. i did the same with Straightman's vid but, nothing.

i'd really like to hear some of the pros dissect the vids as i do so that we can all learn and become better 14.1 players. pats on the back do nothing to improve our game.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
bill: just watched almost all of your vid. you have a really good feel for the game a great, natural stroke, good rhythm and excellent shot-making ability. right or wrong, here are a few things i noticed when watching.

in pic3; you sink that 9ball and run into the 5ball? almost creating a prob on the rail. i would have probably shot the foot-rail ball next.

pic4; it looks like you shoot your break-ball and bump into one of the other two. i would have probably taken that ball in the side and given a light tap to the other leaving the 14ball? in the side next to get on those other balls on the rail. then you could leave that ball down table to get on the key ball, now near the rail.

pic5; i think you hit this too soft and almost got stuck. a little more speed would not have been careless especially since you had that ball down table.

pics 6&7: you shoot that one going two rails which almost got you into trouble. it's hard to see the angle from the video but it looks like you could take that 8ball? in the side then the 1 in the corner and used the stipped ball as your key to the key to the key.

pic 8; i thought for sure that you'd hit this with a firm draw but you followed it leaving a difficult 1ball shot. but you were running out of options so i understand your decision.

pic 9: did you consider leaving that foot-rail ball for the key? taking that long rail shot down table with a little draw would have left you two options. you came out a little short after and had a difficult out.

please note that this isn't criticism, i'm just musing over the game....

I'm kinda confused on your picture numbering. For now I will comment on pic 4. I bumped that ball on purpose to try to get it in key ball position for the other stripe ball that I was going to break with. I had no intention of using either of the balls you mentioned as a break ball. John bumps balls into key ball positions as well as break ball position.

It would probably be easier if you only asked one question at a time that way I will not get confused about which picture goes with which question :smile.

Its hard for me to concentrate on more than one thing at a time. LOL

Bill

sausage

Banned
bill; sorry for the confusion. strange though. i only watched your vid once and i know where you are going in the stills. i believe that the pics are in order right to left, top to bottom. i'll number them next time.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
analysis

bill: just watched almost all of your vid. you have a really good feel for the game a great, natural stroke, good rhythm and excellent shot-making ability. right or wrong, here are a few things i noticed when watching.

in pic3; you sink that 9ball and run into the 5ball? almost creating a prob on the rail. i would have probably shot the foot-rail ball next.

I noticed the bump, too and asked Bill about it when we went over the run and without hesitation he said he was trying to create a key ball.

pic4; it looks like you shoot your break-ball and bump into one of the other two. i would have probably taken that ball in the side and given a light tap to the other leaving the 14ball? in the side next to get on those other balls on the rail. then you could leave that ball down table to get on the key ball, now near the rail.

I always have to get used to the fact that Bill likes higher break shots. That and I can never tell on the vids exactly where the rack is.

pic5; i think you hit this too soft and almost got stuck. a little more speed would not have been careless especially since you had that ball down table.

I think you are right and I mentioned this to Bill when we went over it. Can't remember if he agreed or just figured he had to have something.

pics 6&7: you shoot that one going two rails which almost got you into trouble. it's hard to see the angle from the video but it looks like you could take that 8ball? in the side then the 1 in the corner and used the stipped ball as your key to the key to the key.

this was a nice shot by Bill and he knew which way to err in terms of his position. The cut in the side with shape for the one below is doable but might feel a little funny. Bill likes to get on top of the balls rather than play for the side, I think.

pic 8; i thought for sure that you'd hit this with a firm draw but you followed it leaving a difficult 1ball shot. but you were running out of options so i understand your decision.

Firm draw? To what? the two up in the top? Still would leave some work to do.

He had a similar shot on the 1 earlier and did not take it. I think he may have needed to create a break ball but I don't remember.

pic 9: did you consider leaving that foot-rail ball for the key? taking that long rail shot down table with a little draw would have left you two options. you came out a little short after and had a difficult out.

That's Bill's style. Bring it out above the balls and work from there.

please note that this isn't criticism, i'm just musing over the game....

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member
i don't mean to sound contrary but aren't we here to evaluate the runs? nothing is gained from "good run". everybody knows that a 100 ball run is a good run.

i went out of my way to watch and evaluate marop's play and wanted to get inside his brain on some shot selection but i got no response. i did the same with Straightman's vid but, nothing.

i'd really like to hear some of the pros dissect the vids as i do so that we can all learn and become better 14.1 players. pats on the back do nothing to improve our game.

sascha said:
I am right with you on that one...

I actually disagree with both of you on this. A "forum" is a place to come and share information about a common interest. There are no expectations. If Bill, or any other poster, wants to share a video of a run, then they have the right to do so. There is no "rule" stating that an in-depth analysis must be made of every video posted (unless it was requested by the OP).

Some people just want to share this information. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and they should not be obligated to post a video for the pure purpose of having it analyzed to death (unless they that is what they want). Maybe Bill was just proud of this run and wanted to share it with his AZ family... nothing more... nothing less. If another poster poses a questions to the OP who posed the video, then common courtesy would be for the OP to respond. But it is not required. We should be happy that Bill (and many others) choose to share this information at all.

I think your post comes across very crass and pushy. I've also found many of sascha's posts the same to the point of bordering on rude (although I'm not sure if there is a cultural/language issue with sascha). I know this post may seem like I'm mad or angry, but I'm just frustrated with the perceived "expectation" of a few posters.

Everyone who comes on here (from beginners to pros) loves the game of 14.1. Being pushy with expectations is just going to drive people away or make them afraid to post their own videos for fear of being "over-analyzed"... often times when they didn't even ask.

I guess all I'm saying is please be considerate when commenting on other people's videos. Being able to watch other's videos is a privilege, not a right.

JMHO - take it for what it's worth.

Ray

P.S. - BTW, nice run Bill.

Last edited:

DangerousDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that in Marop's case having a run broken down and analyzed is less useful than it is for lower level players - and players who don't have John Schmidt on speed dial. I think if Bill watched the video back he could see where he might have made questionable decisions, but the reality of it is that you can't expect to play perfect patterns every time. Bill, John and other great players on here like Steve Lipsky have talked about the importance of rhythm and just getting on with it. You could plan a flawless pattern if you thought about it long enough, but sometimes it comes down to just doing what feels right!

And of course the majority of posts would be congratulating Bill - he's just accomplished something great that he's been aiming for for a while now. I disagree that we're here to critique every run. If someone asks for it then it's nice if good players help them out. If they ask and don't respond then that could be seen as ungrateful but I don't think Bill asked for this.

As someone fairly new to 14.1, I won't suggest that patterns aren't important - far from it! I think this forum is great for information on which shots to play and that people are willing to help others out is a good thing, but I think for the majority of players actual table time is what is most likely to bring their level up. You can have all the right plans set out in your head, but if you can't put the cue ball where you want it they're not much use.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you believe it was exactly 100. I didn't know it until I watched the video. I missed a ball that Ray Charles could of made at 101. lol

I just finished and its after 1 AM so it hasn't been uploaded yet. I think John and I will do a player review and it will be on his 294 DVD.

I watched his 294 last night, must of inspired me. Thanks John.

Bill

http://www.vimeo.com/11236823

Good shooting Bill! You have inspired me now. I got my set-up downstairs almost perfect now, and now I am going to have to add a video camera to the list of finishing touches.

I would be happy to get a 75 or 80 on video, you must be thrilled to have a 100!

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
100 Ball Run

Once again Bill, Great job.
Here is something I wrote on Sascha's 82 ball run post. That I believe it applies here as well. With a few comments that I have read.
"I agree with "Everyone needs "Pats on the Back" and if you notice 99% of my comments are "Pats on the Back" b/c there isn't enough of them in this World. I also never seen them coming enough from my employment during my career to myself & my fellow workers.
Critiquing comes when a player needs it and I will lend a hand if they are willing to except it. Many times a strong player like Sascha & (Bill) some others here on the 14.1 Forum do not need critiquing b/c they know what they have done wrong during a rack. You can tell easily by the way they play other racks so cleanly. Yes, all our videos are not perfect runs.
Like Sascha stated (no run is perfect) but strong players can shoot their way back in the run. All runs have to come to an end. If we can make every ball every time we shoot. Then this Sport would be no fun. A strong players Knows what they done wrong and that is why they work so hard on their goals."
Positive Feed Back (Pats on the Back) will result in a better out put no matter what the case might be. Fact.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Well look who it is.......Easy-e !!! glad to see that you are still poking around. Jealous to hear that you have your own setup.... cant wait to see some footage of you playin the game we all love.

i was impressed by your game and determination at the expo, and i had a blast hangin out with ya. and thoroughly loved breakin your shoes too. LOL LOL

Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Once again Bill, Great job.
Here is something I wrote on Sascha's 82 ball run post. That I believe it applies here as well. With a few comments that I have read.
"I agree with "Everyone needs "Pats on the Back" and if you notice 99% of my comments are "Pats on the Back" b/c there isn't enough of them in this World. I also never seen them coming enough from my employment during my career to myself & my fellow workers.
Critiquing comes when a player needs it and I will lend a hand if they are willing to except it. Many times a strong player like Sascha & (Bill) some others here on the 14.1 Forum do not need critiquing b/c they know what they have done wrong during a rack. You can tell easily by the way they play other racks so cleanly. Yes, all our videos are not perfect runs.
Like Sascha stated (no run is perfect) but strong players can shoot their way back in the run. All runs have to come to an end. If we can make every ball every time we shoot. Then this Sport would be no fun. A strong players Knows what they done wrong and that is why they work so hard on their goals."
Positive Feed Back (Pats on the Back) will result in a better out put no matter what the case might be. Fact.

Tap, Tap, Tap !!!!!!!

Well Said
Steve

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I will say that I took the personal time to make a video for Bill when he didnt need it. In the end I ended up putting my foot in my mouth. So analysing some one who is obviusouly better than you might be a slap in the face to them. I personally welcome in critisism as I am still learning.

Easy E wtf! where you been. I am watching the videos you gave me as I write this. Good stuff.

sausage

Banned
if someone doesn't want input on their video, that's fine. however, i believe that just about everyone here can benefit from discussing the shot selections made in the vids. as far as i'm concerned, that's the fun part.

i can't remember which video it is but the pro commentator (an accomplished 14.1 player) saw a pattern that he never considered and exclaimed, "i just learned something new".

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well look who it is.......Easy-e !!! glad to see that you are still poking around. Jealous to hear that you have your own setup.... cant wait to see some footage of you playin the game we all love.

Steve

My setup is going to be SICK! I got a 9' Pro-Am with matching light and chairs, and all sorts of gay posters hanging on the walls. It's my man cave, and I love it.:thumbup:

Come on down to Virginia and check it out sometime!

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My setup is going to be SICK! I got a 9' Pro-Am with matching light and chairs, and all sorts of gay posters hanging on the walls. It's my man cave, and I love it.:thumbup:

I have a question for you champions (You too Steve).:D

When measuring a pocket to find out how tight it is, do you measure in the front or in the back? I probably phrased that wrong but I think you get it. Someone tell me how to do it please!

h2o4170

h2o4170
Silver Member
Congrats Bill! I grew up in Grand Rapids Mi watching and playing with some great staight pool players, Harold Worst,Mark Belfus,Bob hunter, and several others and I gotta tell ya you could give them all a run for the money.The way you consistently post runs of over 50 is great.Keep up the good work I realy enjoy watching you play.Your table and game room look beautiful as well.
Brad

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

Eric,

I may have to take you up on that one day, maybe a race to 1000 - win by 500. Now that would e a long ass game !

Steve

I it true what the day about Virginia and the movie deliverance ?????? Lol

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Eric,

Is it true what they say about Virginia and the movie deliverance ?????? Lol

Steve

Steve: Sorry to disappoint you but the setting for Deliverance was Georgia.
;)

Last edited: