Best nine ball player ever top speed

enzo

Banned
I visit a few different forums. Everyone has had their best of done so may time it gets boring to the regulars, so I am sure this has been done very often here. But if you would like to, humor me and tell me what you think.

Who is the best nine ball player ever?

With a nod to Buddy, I would have to say it is Earl. When his game is right, I don't think he could be beat. I understand that playing good in all conditions matters. Earl hasn't always been the greatest grinder. But when you put everyone's best game out there, I just don't think he would be beat.

As my friend told him at the 92 Open, "Narrow the pockets 1/4 of an inch and make every tournament single elimination, race to sixteen, single elimination, and you would never be beat."

When he is at his best, he makes the game look amazingly simple!

sigel for me. ive never seen anybody play the percentages like he did, amazing instincts.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cigar Tom is a gentleman gambler for sure, one of Maryland's finest.

Does he still shoot with a skinny shaft? I'm just curious.

Cigar Tom Vanover is depicted on the bottom left. Picture taken at the 1986 Maryland State Championship, a very well-run tournament, if I do say so myself! :thumbup:

Cigar Tom came in second place that year to Mike Sigel! :)

yes he still uses the skinnest shaft in the world tom still plays in dundalk i love those pictures u have tu very much old geese god i loved that guy funniest pool player ever i wish i could see all ur pics

dufferball

Registered
I have never seen anybody playing 9ball as good as Dennis Orcollo.

Yang plays provably just as good because of his powerful break,but he doesnt get out as good as Orcollo,nobody does in my opinion.

Dennis will beat Yang eventually, and he will beat him bad.

Only guys like Reyes,Parica,Strickland played that good,at one point.

Halls,Sigels,Chaos are a little below.

the best of all-time for the money, even with his weak break, was Efren Reyes.

Everybody talks about how Earl was unbeatable,but yet they all seem to forget that Earl lost playing near perfection pool against Reyes,and not once but twice (there was a Color of Money II,shorter race) that Reyes won as well.

Jose Parica at his best did beat Strickland for a large amount as well

The best Efren plays the best Parica, and they will split wins. I dont see any winning more than the other.
But i do see in long races,or ahead both beating Earl at least 70% of the times at least.

Just like I think guys like Orcollo and Yang at their best would beat the best Strickland for the money in a long match up.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The Relentless, consistent, slow moving cue ball of Buddy, Hall gets it All"" is what wins out. In Efrens prime in Earls moment, but in the long haul Hall gets it done, everything else has and does have their moment/or year in time. No one every went huntin' for Cecil, Bugs Rucker has more nicknames than players names we talk about that could beat em. Only one or two from the great depression could tangle with em.

NlceGuy

Registered

Yang plays provably just as good because of his powerful break,but he doesnt get out as good as Orcollo,nobody does in my opinion.

Its kinda interesting you say this cause I actually think its the opposite. 9 ball break, yang is better but just slightly. In 9 ball, I'm fairly certain Yang would be favorite. Yang gets out just as good as Dennis, if not better.

10 ball, Orcollo definitely breaks better and that's a much better game for Orcollo.

They've had many chances to match up when the guinness tour was still going on, but they never did. Most people know to not gamble with Yang. I recall it was alex's girl that once posted that alex would never bet against yang in gambling match, regardless of who he played. That pretty much sums up his game.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Only guys like Reyes,Parica,Strickland played that good,at one point.

Halls,Sigels,Chaos are a little below.

the best of all-time for the money, even with his weak break, was Efren Reyes.

Everybody talks about how Earl was unbeatable,but yet they all seem to forget that Earl lost playing near perfection pool against Reyes,and not once but twice (there was a Color of Money II,shorter race) that Reyes won as well.

Jose Parica at his best did beat Strickland for a large amount as well

The best Efren plays the best Parica, and they will split wins. I dont see any winning more than the other.
But i do see in long races,or ahead both beating Earl at least 70% of the times at least.

Just like I think guys like Orcollo and Yang at their best would beat the best Strickland for the money in a long match up.

I guess you don't want to mention about when Nick Varner came TO the Phillipines and beat Efren Reyes in a race to 60. Final score was 60 - 47 I think.....

Hall and Sigel (in their prime) below those guys? Please...

aldavis33

Registered
I would have to say ME.
If you could compare my nine ball speed to driving, I would get a speeding ticket in every school zone in the country. Except maybe in my town, where a peice of pizza usually takes care of it.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tadd

I was working in charlotte at pro billiards around 90 or 91 and a guy come in looking for Denny Searcy. Searcy was past his prime and not shooting at the time. the guy said he was mark tademy, he looked native american, and muscular. later turned out to be mark tadd. Searcy got a backer and was dispatched on two sets in 45 minutes. they played on a diamond, which was one of the company's first tables. the fastest table i've ever played on. they later played at mothers on the other side of town. and in a week of playing i saw him miss 3 shots, one was a safety. he played the smartest, shot-making, under control game ive ever seen.

i didn't start pool until buddy, parica, etc were older. but my experience has to go to tadd. AT THAT TIME!

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I would have to say ME.
If you could compare my nine ball speed to driving, I would get a speeding ticket in every school zone in the country. Except maybe in my town, where a peice of pizza usually takes care of it.

I was working in charlotte at pro billiards around 90 or 91 and a guy come in looking for Denny Searcy. Searcy was past his prime and not shooting at the time. the guy said he was mark tademy, he looked native american, and muscular. later turned out to be mark tadd. Searcy got a backer and was dispatched on two sets in 45 minutes. they played on a diamond, which was one of the company's first tables. the fastest table i've ever played on. they later played at mothers on the other side of town. and in a week of playing i saw him miss 3 shots, one was a safety. he played the smartest, shot-making, under control game ive ever seen.

i didn't start pool until buddy, parica, etc were older. but my experience has to go to tadd. AT THAT TIME!

From what I've heard his real name is Tademy and he shortened it to Tadd. I watched him play once and was impressed. I'm sure Jay will tell the story of when he won the Banks and One-pocket division and came in second in the 9-ball in a big tournament in CA that I believe Jay ran. The tourney was filled with most every champion around at the time. He was coming on this forum a couple of years ago IIRC but has been playing poker rather than pool lately.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
From what I've heard his real name is Tademy and he shortened it to Tadd. I watched him play once and was impressed. I'm sure Jay will tell the story of when he won the Banks and One-pocket division and came in second in the 9-ball in a big tournament in CA that I believe Jay ran. The tourney was filled with most every champion around at the time. He was coming on this forum a couple of years ago IIRC but has been playing poker rather than pool lately.

I went Hill/Hill with em twice years ago in his prime at major events, with that being said, his level of play does not equal the greats, like Sigel/Hall/Rempe/Ether/Earl in their prime.

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For cash?

Louie Roberts AKA St. Louis Louie

Dick Hinzicker busted St. Louie Louie and Buddy too. He busted Rempie and The Mez. Crane and Cranfield wouldn't gamble with him. He was over their head.
He saw Earl play when Earl came to town in the 80's and declined playing Earl. I asked him why years later. He only saw Earrl play one set. He said he wasn't playing at the time. And he had no business playing unless he was in stroke. It didn't matter who he said just that he had to be in stroke. He was also old at the time.
Earl made the hair on the back of Dick's neck stand up.
Nick :)

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
Dick Hinzicker busted St. Louie Louie and Buddy too. He busted Rempie and The Mez. Crane and Cranfield wouldn't gamble with him. He was over their head.
He saw Earl play when Earl came to town in the 80's and declined playing Earl. I asked him why years later. He only saw Earrl play one set. He said he wasn't playing at the time. And he had no business playing unless he was in stroke. It didn't matter who he said just that he had to be in stroke. He was also old at the time.
Earl made the hair on the back of Dick's neck stand up.
Nick :)

the old school guys played great.
but today its a diff game they would get beat by the great players of today playing the games and the rules of today.
you have to kick and play safe.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old school guys played great. They played all games, to include snooker, especially down South. These road warriors came to town as the stranger, shot with a house cue, stepped up to the plate and showed no fear. They'd usually end up competing against the best player in that town, sometimes making a score and sometimes leaving town busted. They had to play on all kinds of equipment, not the pristine fields of green that are in existence today.

Today's young'ns negotiate so much, they talk themselves out of a game most times.. You got the rack riggers and break mechanics. It's not about shooting balls in the hole anymore; rather, it's who's got the best gimmic.

Thanks to the advent of the Internet, pool has changed. Tournament soldiers with a corpulent stakehorses can travel the tournament trail, but there ain't too many who can afford it. All others scrape by and do the best they can.

Today's young bucks can't hold a candle to the old school players when it comes to talent. :thumbup:

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
The old school guys played great. They played all games, to include snooker, especially down South. These road warriors came to town as the stranger, shot with a house cue, stepped up to the plate and showed no fear. They'd usually end up competing against the best player in that town, sometimes making a score and sometimes leaving town busted. They had to play on all kinds of equipment, not the pristine fields of green that are in existence today.

Today's young'ns negotiate so much, they talk themselves out of a game most times.. You got the rack riggers and break mechanics. It's not about shooting balls in the hole anymore; rather, it's who's got the best gimmic.

Thanks to the advent of the Internet, pool has changed. Tournament soldier with a corpulent stakehorses can travel the tournament trail. All others scrape by and do the best they can.

Today's young bucks can't hold a candle to the old school players when it comes to talent. :thumbup:

your last line here you bumped your head.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

I believe that was the tournament Don Mackey held out the PBT players from.

bulletjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know of a player right now who has beat everyone of these players mentioned and has managed to stay under the radar. Who is it???