Best nine ball player ever top speed

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thnaks for the correction.

I was thinking that Reyes was higher than a 1.0 avg? Either way, it is a ways from world class, but it was my understanding that he plays better than "top amateur"? no?

Eric

He's without a doubt the best 3C player among pool players, but from what I've seen of him and have spoken to top 3C players about him - the consensus is that he's a 1.0 - 1.1 He may have had a single session where he averaged 1.5 or better but his overall average is about 1.0 which is not better than the better amatuer's who average 1.0 to 1.3
When I say amatuers I don't mean American amatuers but the European amateurs.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Varner vs Reyes

Many people seem to mention the Reyes - Strickland match,with
admiration for both.
Maybe it's time to remind y'all that Nick Varner flew to the lion's
den and came back with the cash.Reyes,a class act,speaks very
well of him.

When you talk about TOP speed at 9-ball there's probably 50 players
that might beat everyone.
Who would want to mess with Billy Johnson when he's shooting a 1,000
acustats rating.And he broke hard and accurate like Shane.

But when i picture 2 players playing 12 hrs a day for a month,i have
trouble picturing anyone getting Buddy Hall's money.
Yeah,Earl had a high gear,a lot of talent and a lot of heart but those
great shots he rose to the occasion on were 'bread & butter' shots
for the Rifleman in his prime.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Ok ok every one here probably is aware of this already but I haven't seen mention of it, what If we take "performance enhancing drugs" out of the equation... Is Earl still the victor? Lol... C'mon! Earl's a cheater everyone knows it... Pool organizations should start drug testing...

You know you could be sued for libel simply for posting that don't you? Even if it is true Earl could simply get a lawyer, they would get a warrent forcing AZBilliards to release your actual identity, and you would be given a summons to appear in court a short time later.

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
You know you could be sued for libel simply for posting that don't you? Even if it is true Earl could simply get a lawyer, they would get a warrent forcing AZBilliards to release your actual identity, and you would be given a summons to appear in court a short time later.

i did not know that about earl.
what does he take?

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
He's without a doubt the best 3C player among pool players, but from what I've seen of him and have spoken to top 3C players about him - the consensus is that he's a 1.0 - 1.1 He may have had a single session where he averaged 1.5 or better but his overall average is about 1.0 which is not better than the better amatuer's who average 1.0 to 1.3
When I say amatuers I don't mean American amatuers but the European amateurs.

You are of course correct, BUT, lets face it there's NO money in 3C billiards, not that pool's any great shakes, but compared to 3C there's soo much more opportunity for Efren to make money. I feel that if things were reversed Efren would be the king of 3C. He seems to excel at about any dicipline he takes seriously! Look what he did with one-pocket. He wasn't a one-pocket player when he first came over, now look at him!

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok ok every one here probably is aware of this already but I haven't seen mention of it, what If we take "performance enhancing drugs" out of the equation... Is Earl still the victor? Lol... C'mon! Earl's a cheater everyone knows it... Pool organizations should start drug testing...

You act like you know what you're talking about.....too bad, you don't have a clue.

Earl does not take any performance enhancing drugs....zero, zilch, nada. And hasn't in the last 20+ years.

While we're on the subject of tests.....

AZB should test for 'stupidity' before allowing someone to post.....you wouldn't have passed....for sure.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jbravo2984...Wow! First you badmouth a legend like Jimmy Caras in one thread (albeit through a "2nd hand" story), and now you're bad mouthing another legendary player...what gives? Earl never took drugs. Like Sherm said, he probably smoked pot in his youth (who didn't in the 70's?), but he definitely was not into hard core stuff at all. His record speaks for itself...and imho he still has the talent to win. He just won a tour stop in Raleigh NC, going undefeated. I don't know who else was in the field, but NC has PLENTY of champion players.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Dammit Terry, I thought those links were videos of Earl giving Skinny Bartram a spanking. :D I watched both of them all the way through and I didn't see either of them.

JoeyA

Sorry Joey! :D
I wanted to post something real dumb as my way of rebutting the crazy accusations that someone else made concerning Mr. E. Strickland. I wanted to post dumb videos because I was made a little dumber after having read someone else's post(s) re: Earl and Jimy Caras......:D

Sorry you got sucked into the bait I layed out.......:eek: It wasn't meant to capture you, Chris or anyone else in general, just one species in particular, IF you get my drift! ;)

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Do we have a winner for the dumbest post in this thread? I think so!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Do we have a winner for the dumbest post in this thread? I think so!

no joke....i don't even think I've ever seen Earl drink a beer much less look like he's on something....I'm with Jay, I'm sure he probably toked up back in the day but I'd have to see Earl do "performance" enhancing drugs to believe it imop.

You know dam well he's not taking beta blockers lol so that leaves only speed, and Earl ain't on no f*kn speed

just b/c you think dumb sh*t doesn't mean you should say the dumb sh*t you were thinking

think before you type
-Grey Ghost-

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Top speed

Thanks to all, especially Terry and Jay, for your insights.

I, personally think, Earl has the top speed, but the problem is whether his mentality is there to maintain it. His game is beautiful to watch though.
I think there were only 15 entrees in that tournament Earl won in North Carolina.

I only saw Lassiter later on, but his break wasn't the greatest, just like Efren's break in 9 ball goes weak sometimes. Lassiter also won back in the day when there were not as many good players as there is today. The overall competition level considering the number of players and their level is greater today, as well as international competition.

I played Buddy some 9 ball right before he turned pro, when he was the top road player in the country. (at Burke's steakhouse here in Wichjita). It is said he was listed in the top 5 pros in the country for 21 straight years. His up corner shots were really something to see.

I, also think, that Sigel won more 8 ball tournaments than 9 ball, which is amazing considering the stroke he has. (it pains me to watch Alan Hopkins too).

I have only seen Yang play a couple of times, so I don't feel qualified to comment on his game. All of the Filapinos are good, anyone of them could take off a tournament at any time. Wu, still young, had a couple of good outings, but the best ever, he still has lots to prove.

Efren is, without a doubt, the best shotmaker and overall knowledge than any other player ever, that I know of

Top speed - Earl
2nd - Buddy, Lassiter, Efren

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
With apologies to Mr Lassiter, I'm gonna have to agree with the many that have concluded that Earl Strickland had the strongest "top speed" ever. A review of Earl's tournaments will corroborate how often he whitewashed even the greatest superstars of the game.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

He's got his players mixed up anyway. There was a top player who used performance enhancing drugs during tournaments, but it wasn't Earl.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
now im not saying this guy was the best 9 ball player in the world but i think he did something that many people wouldnt even try in the 80s when earl was the best in the world he came through baltimore and my friend cigar tom vanover yes bobs brother played him even 9 ball 50 a game which was a big bet then after 15 hours earl quits and says he cant win nothing here jay if u read this tom is ur age have u ever run across him thanks richie

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
now im not saying this guy was the best 9 ball player in the world but i think he did something that many people wouldnt even try in the 80s when earl was the best in the world he came through baltimore and my friend cigar tom vanover yes bobs brother played him even 9 ball 50 a game which was a big bet then after 15 hours earl quits and says he cant win nothing here jay if u read this tom is ur age have u ever run across him thanks richie

Cigar Tom is a gentleman gambler for sure, one of Maryland's finest.

Does he still shoot with a skinny shaft? I'm just curious.

Cigar Tom Vanover is depicted on the bottom left. Picture taken at the 1986 Maryland State Championship, a very well-run tournament, if I do say so myself! :thumbup:

Cigar Tom came in second place that year to Mike Sigel! :)

Attachments

• mdstatetourney[1][1].JPG
    mdstatetourney[1][1].JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 274

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Cigar Tom is a gentleman gambler for sure, one of Maryland's finest.

Does he still shoot with a skinny shaft? I'm just curious.

Cigar Tom Vanover is depicted on the bottom left. Picture taken at the 1986 Maryland State Championship, a very well-run tournament, if I do say so myself! :thumbup:

Cigar Tom came in second place that year to Mike Sigel! :)

Damn Jenny. You were a hot mama back then! lol Thanks for the pics!

Reactions: JAM