Do you need help Sharking?

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
* The Annoying Body Noise Shark
A well-timed coughing fit, burp, or loud sneeze during your opponent's shot can put a player off their game.

* The Line of Sight Shark
Writes Coughlan: When a player is shooting down-table, the opponent "may seize the moment to wipe his hands on a towel or shower them with powder, sight down his own cue or file the cue tip, start telling a joke sotto voce to someone sitting with him, or discover an itch that must be scratched vigorously." The showering-the-hands-with-powder shark was popular with Minnesota Fats.

* The Lauri Searchlight Shark
Pool legend Onofrio Lauri would polish his bald head in the line of sight of his opponent. Sometimes he would get it to shine so brightly that he could use it to reflect a dazzling light into his competitor's eyes.

* The Willie Mosconi Shark
Some very good players can destroy their opponent's game simply by assuming their regular haughty demeanor. Both Willie Mosconi and Ralph Greanleaf would exude such extreme confidence that their opponents felt like insects by comparison. Mosconi almost never lost during his mind-numbing exhibition years on the road. He said this was because his opponents needed to play above their regular skill level, but because they were so unnnerved by him they generally played below it.

* The Minnesota Fats Shark
Your opponent on a roll? Stop the game to eat a sandwich. Repeat as necessary.

* The Nice Chap Shark
Also, from the Gamesmanship book: when playing a polite young player and one that has been well-brought up by their family, it can be useful to subtly implant the idea that it would be a rather rotten trick to beat an old man by too much. "Thereby the fatal 'letting up' is inaugurated, which can be the undoing of so many fine players," writes Potter.

* The Free Advice Shark
Give free -- but useless -- advice to your opponent. Potter says it can be as simple as telling him or her to "take it easy" before shooting. Also, telling your opponent to be sure to "look at the line" works well.

* Potter's Improvement on the Primitive Hamper Shark
The name of this shark, again from Potter's book, is admittedly ridiculous. But the essence of it is to interrupt your opponent's flow -- "the hamper" -- but in a way that is seemingly meant to assist your opponent. For example, just as your opponent is in mid stroke, you can tell him to stop. Then, indicating some kids well on the other side of the pool room, say: "those damn kids -- walking across your line of sight."
---------------------------------------------------------
I think i will shave my head and try the The Lauri Searchlight Shark!

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
A well-timed coughing fit, burp, or loud sneeze during your opponent's shot can put a player off their game.

Writes Coughlan: When a player is shooting down-table, the opponent "may seize the moment to wipe his hands on a towel or shower them with powder, sight down his own cue or file the cue tip, start telling a joke sotto voce to someone sitting with him, or discover an itch that must be scratched vigorously." The showering-the-hands-with-powder shark was popular with Minnesota Fats.

Pool legend Onofrio Lauri would polish his bald head in the line of sight of his opponent. Sometimes he would get it to shine so brightly that he could use it to reflect a dazzling light into his competitor's eyes.

Some very good players can destroy their opponent's game simply by assuming their regular haughty demeanor. Both Willie Mosconi and Ralph Greanleaf would exude such extreme confidence that their opponents felt like insects by comparison. Mosconi almost never lost during his mind-numbing exhibition years on the road. He said this was because his opponents needed to play above their regular skill level, but because they were so unnnerved by him they generally played below it.

* The Nice Chap Shark
Also, from the Gamesmanship book: when playing a polite young player and one that has been well-brought up by their family, it can be useful to subtly implant the idea that it would be a rather rotten trick to beat an old man by too much. "Thereby the fatal 'letting up' is inaugurated, which can be the undoing of so many fine players," writes Potter.

* The Free Advice Shark
Give free -- but useless -- advice to your opponent. Potter says it can be as simple as telling him or her to "take it easy" before shooting. Also, telling your opponent to be sure to "look at the line" works well.

The name of this shark, again from Potter's book, is admittedly ridiculous. But the essence of it is to interrupt your opponent's flow -- "the hamper" -- but in a way that is seemingly meant to assist your opponent. For example, just as your opponent is in mid stroke, you can tell him to stop. Then, indicating some kids well on the other side of the pool room, say: "those damn kids -- walking across your line of sight."
I think i shave my head and try the The Lauri Searchlight Shark!

lol where did you find that....pretty funny

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
The oooold shine my bald head light into your eyes trick! I shoulda known.

Qstix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL who's head is that shiny?! I wonder if Turtle wax would help buff out any impurities and really turn that thing into a spot light.

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
* The Nice Chap Shark

LOL man I had an old guy try this on tuesday. I just told him my teammates were gonna kill me if i let his lasic eye surgery story/ 6 months off/ use to be great/ can't see anymore/ stories make me take it easy on him.

I would have annihilated him if it weren't for my defective f'n stick...

Last edited:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Not trying to change from the op but have
You ever read your post and think i just didnt write that did i?Then you gotta go in there edit the darn thing.
This happens to me all the time.Im not bragging or anything but i might be the non smartest person on
the forum.Matter fact im so dumb i might be consider just half a az member.Could someone confirm for me? Thanks

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8pack;2602535[/QUOTE said:

I think Lauri learned that one from Helfert.

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think Lauri learned that one from Helfert.[/QUOTE]
Yep, its a medical fact that Jay never had the male pattern baldness gene. He did it on purpose.:eek:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I shave my head so maybe will try a liberal coating of cue wax this Saturday.
I'll have to buy a car buffer too.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do You Need Help sharking

* The Nice Chap Shark

* The Free Advice Shark

I think i will shave my head and try the The Lauri Searchlight Shark!

There are numerous stories about Alfredo de Oro and his methods, he was a very tall man with large feet and he wore black shoes that were as highly polished as possible , when his opponent was shooting towards him he would move his feet around to shine the overhead lights back in their face, he also smoked huge Cuban cigars and used wooden safety matches , he would wait till an appropriate crucial moment to light his cigar and spectators said there was a flash and a huge puff of smoke and a sharp report like a pistol when the match ignited. "How'd you like to fade that!" lol

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
LOL man I had an old guy try this on tuesday. I just told him my teammates were gonna kill me if i let his lasic eye surgery story/ 6 months off/ use to be great/ can't see anymore/ stories make me take it easy on him.

I would have annihilated him if it weren't for my defective f'n stick...

try this on you ?
Sounds like he worked this on you . . .

tedantle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to change from the op but have
You ever read your post and think i just didnt write that did i?Then you gotta go in there edit the darn thing.
This happens to me all the time.Im not bragging or anything but i might be the non smartest person on
the forum.Matter fact im so dumb i might be consider just half a az member.Could someone confirm for me? Thanks

Oh... you are a complete AZ..... member:grin:

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheaters are chicken shaat-any sharky's shows fear

focus on the CB,Pause ,objectball 1-4sec, wackum- dead straightin ht e hole.

Last edited:

SoniDJ

what's in your wallet
Silver Member
Nothing phases me but a smokin hot woman that keeps looking at me, now that fks my whole game up, can't even push a ball in the pocket.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

I think Lauri learned that one from Helfert.[/QUOTE]

We had a similar Lauri in the old Shakespears in-house league in Denver.
She would approach the table just as I was shooting the 9 every time.
I missed some easy 9-balls.

That's the good kind of sharking.
The sharking I hate is when you are playing in a tournament and your opponent has a cheering section that claps when you miss.
It doesn't affect my playability but I just don't like it.