mental help anyone!

troy kirkendoll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok heres whats happening. im a decent player who loves to play the game. but for about the last 6 months or so i have been strugglin to keep my mind in it when im playin. i still win a few tournaments here and there, and a few cheap money games , but something is missing. i try to win everytime i play, but im missing the killer instinct. its like i dont care if i win or not. i have been playin for 20 years and have never hadv this feeling. just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
The Pleasures of Small Motions

The best book that I have found about the mental aspects of the game is "Pleasures of Small Motions". Pick up a copy. Give it a read. See if that doesn't shine some light on your situation.

JesseAllred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
taking a break works. punishment works even better. A recent example that I used was announcing to everyone at the tournament that if I didn't win I wasn't going to eat until I won another tournament. I had to fast for a couple days, but it got me really focused on winning. Or promise to buy yourself something you want if you win a few tournaments.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
It sounds to me like you just need to relax. If you need any help, my number is posted at my website - feel free give me a call Monday thru Friday 9-5.

troy kirkendoll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds to me like you just need to relax. If you need any help, my number is posted at my website - feel free give me a call Monday thru Friday 9-5.

thank you and i will. but actually i think thats the problem , im to relaxed. i think i need to be a little edgey , but im not

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
thank you and i will. but actually i think thats the problem , im to relaxed. i think i need to be a little edgey , but im not

Troy,
No matter what the case, we can work on it - you're results will be directly proportional to how much work you are willing to put into it.

ykndoit

UnRegistered Abuser
Silver Member
I found that I play my best when the most is on the line. It forces you to concentrate more.

If you're playing for cheap, it doesn't mean that much.

Try playing someone you think is your same speed for a bigger amount.

I use to really be concerned about league and my stats in league. But it just doesn't really mean that much to me any more as a night out with the guys. BUT as soon as we start to gamble, my game all of the sudden comes to life!(this is all irrelevant if I've had too much to drink prior....:eek:)

poolfire

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found that I play my best when the most is on the line. It forces you to concentrate more.

If you're playing for cheap, it doesn't mean that much.

Try playing someone you think is your same speed for a bigger amount.

I use to really be concerned about league and my stats in league. But it just doesn't really mean that much to me any more as a night out with the guys. BUT as soon as we start to gamble, my game all of the sudden comes to life!(this is all irrelevant if I've had too much to drink prior....:eek:)

I agree... Give me 10/6 for a thou and that will surely fix it. If not we can do it till it works

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
You may be trying too hard. Take a week off. Shorten your sessions. Drink Quervo until you puke on your shoes.
Any of the above suggestions may be used individually, or in combination. :)

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Beats the hell outa me, Troy, as I suffer the same affliction more often than not. Sometimes I could care less regardless of the circumstances. Just enjoy the laughs. :grin:

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
Pre match routine

Sounds to me like its time for you to employ a Pre-Match routine. It's similar to a pre-shot routine. Don't just wait for your match to be called. Get ready for the match, mentally and physically.

Make sure you are ready mentally by watching/focusing on an ongoing match about 1/2 hour prior to yours (Hopefully with better players). Play the shots in the match like you would. Keep your eyes on their play. You only get to rest when they are racking. There are some more things to do mentally, but this is a good first step toward gaining and keeping focus.

It is also important to get some nervous energy working because it will sharpen your focus and help carry you if the match goes for awhile. Start by taking deep breaths. Inhale through the nose, exhale through the mouth.
If you can find a private place to do some physical exercise, great. If not, just do some stretching. I used to go outside and run a block. We are trying to get few butterflys in the stomach. Butterflies are always a good thing.

Don't sit back in the players chair. Only sit on the edge of the chair or put one butt cheek on it. It's too easy to get comfortable. Don't eat. It's better to play hungry than full.

Once again this is a good start and I am sure with the length of time you have been shooting that you will find other things to help you along those lines.

I see way too many players who forget why they are at a tournament. Figure out a good pre-match routine and stick to it.