WOW!!! Really!!!!

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane Posted this on Facebook this morning.

"unbelievable, the worse loss I ever experience in a match. Was down 5-4, I broke-scratch- the one and 2 ball far apart, darrel peach took the cue ball place it near the 2 ball- he gets down almost shot it, then all the sudden the referee said WAIT WAIT! you forgot the one ball."

WTF!!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

"unbelievable, the worse loss I ever experience in a match. Was down 5-4, I broke-scratch- the one and 2 ball far apart, Daryl Peach took the cue ball place it near the 2 ball- he gets down almost shot it, then all the sudden the referee said WAIT WAIT! you forgot the one ball." ...
It's hard to find good help.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

"unbelievable, the worse loss I ever experience in a match. Was down 5-4, I broke-scratch- the one and 2 ball far apart, darrel peach took the cue ball place it near the 2 ball- he gets down almost shot it, then all the sudden the referee said WAIT WAIT! you forgot the one ball."

WTF!!!

Well, there's one for the 'should I tell my opponent he's shooting the
wrong ball?'crowd. You happy now?

In my opinion...the ref should be fired.
If a spectator said it....he should be ejected.
And if the other player said it...he shouldn't be competing

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

WTF!!!

Whats the difference of this and not calling a foul on yourself playing 1pocket,oh so all you honest people here that would call a foul on yourself (very close call)playing 1pocket,but wouldnt tell your opponent he is shooting the wrong ball,is that what shane is mad about,because the ref told peach that he was shooting the wrong ball?ok lets here all you honest pool players opinion!

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is clearly a case of a ref not knowing what a ref does. A referee is not allowed to voluntarily assist a player to futher his progress in a match. A player may ask the ref what ball he is shooting because he may be color blind and can't tell the 2 from the 4 and both numbers may be hidden. Then the ref may answer the question. But that's completely different from telling a player he's about to shoot the wrong ball.

I don't blame Shane for being upset about it. He was wronged.

---Just like a player can't talk to his opponent while his opponent is at the table shooting, even to tell him he's about to shoot the wrong ball. It's considered unsportsmanlike to talk to your opponent while they are at the table. The only time a player can interrupt his opponent would be for a reason like asking for a call on a hit, but not to tell him that he's about to foul.

Last edited:

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did the ref make a mistake yes.

Should Shane be mad, not in my opinion.

I have told my opponent he was shooting the wrong ball more then once.
He shouldn't of scratched.

Should Darrel be punished for not paying attention, well there is another conversation.

Just don't scratch Shane

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Calling a foul on yourself is one thing and the ref stopping a player from fouling is another. Where was the ref from? To me that game of the match should have been played over right then or the whole match played over when someone read the rules.

I'm color blind and I can't remember playing for decent money and have a player tell me that the six was still on the table when I was shooting the seven. Of course before the CB even hit the seven they yelled foul. Johnnyt

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 2 cents

Well, there's one for the 'should I tell my opponent he's shooting the
wrong ball?'crowd. You happy now?

In my opinion...the ref should be fired.
If a spectator said it....he should be ejected.
And if the other player said it...he shouldn't be competing

I agree 100%

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

WTF!!!

If that's really what happened that's just bizarre. If it's not in the rules, I can't imagine why a referee would think he should help a player make sure he doesn't commit a foul.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 4 cents worth

Whats the difference of this and not calling a foul on yourself playing 1pocket,oh so all you honest people here that would call a foul on yourself (very close call)playing 1pocket,but wouldnt tell your opponent he is shooting the wrong ball,is that what shane is mad about,because the ref told peach that he was shooting the wrong ball?ok lets here all you honest pool players opinion!

If you want to call a foul on yourself thats up to you , however if a player is shooting the wrong ball ,well he should have to figure that out himself. What if the player was shooting the wrong shot does any body think that the ref. should stop him and say HEY WAIT don't you think this is a better shot. Because that is exactly what he did and Shane has a right to be upset. What if it was a onepocket tournament and your opponent owed a ball,and he just finished his inning and made 3 balls. So now its your turn and you get up to shoot without spotting the ball your opponent owed. Does anybody really think that the ref. should come over and hold your hand and say HEY don't you want to spot the ball your opponent owes. Of coarse not you snooze you loose its that simple. In others words you and only you are responsible for paying attention in these situations. When the ref. or anybody else is allowed to interject something in such situations then you are opening them up to favoritism. You simply have to look at who is playing the game, it's the player not the ref.

Last edited:

Jeff G. Martin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There's a big difference in my opinion. I don't play one pocket, but in other games I can assure you that I would call a foul on myself, and I have before even if my opponent didn't see it. However, my opponent about to shoot the wrong ball is just lack of focus on his part, and shouldn't be rewarded for it. To me, it's only dishonest if I commit a foul and don't call it on myself, but if I don't tell my opponent he's about to shoot the wrong ball, I don't feel that's me being dishonest. I would NOT expect my opponent to tell me that I'm about to hit the wrong ball prior to shooting.

Quick story: I was at the WAMO state pool tournament this year and was shooting a guy during a team match who went to jump over my ball. The ball he was trying to pocket was about three inches away from another ball in my set. He clearly hit my ball first, enough that it three railed around the table, so I called a foul. He immediately refuted and said he hit his first. If the balls were close I would have given him the benefit of the doubt, but they weren't. He said if I thought it would have been close that I should have called a ref. He was absolutely right, but I don't feel I should have to call a ref any time my ball is a few inches away from his. I felt cheated, and almost felt embarrassed for him. Really made me sick.

Last edited:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to call a foul on yourself thats up to you , however if a player is shooting the wrong ball ,well he should have to figure that out himself. What if the player was shooting the wrong shot does any body think that the ref. should stop him and say HEY WAIT don't you think this is a better shot. Because that is exactly what he did and Shane has a right to be upset. What if it was a onepocket tournament and your opponent owed a ball,and he just finished his inning and made 3 balls. So now its your turn and you get up to shoot without spotting the ball your opponent owed. Does anybody really think that the ref. should come over and hold your hand and say HEY don't you want to spot the ball your opponent owes. Of coarse not you snooze you loose its that simple. In others words you and only you are responsible for paying attention in these situations.
BINGO!PERFECT POST!

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calling a foul on yourself is one thing and the ref stopping a player from fouling is another. Where was the ref from? To me that game of the match should have been played over right then or the whole match played over when someone read the rules.

I'm color blind and I can't remember playing for decent money and have a player tell me that the six was still on the table when I was shooting the seven. Of course before the CB even hit the seven they yelled foul. Johnnyt

That last line is very funny Johnny, but true.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

In snooker, color blindness is allowed for. It's not uncommon for people to
not be able to tell the brown ball from the red.It's up to the player to
inform the ref that he is color blind and the ref can tell him legally that he's shooting the wrong ball.
In pool there are numbers on the ball so I don't think it's the same
problem.
However, if I knew color blindness was a problem, I would signify that
the wrong ball was being shot.
This is one of the few times that I feel morally obligated to instruct my
opponent.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a big difference in my opinion. I don't play one pocket, but in other games I can assure you that I would call a foul on myself, and I have before even if my opponent didn't see it. However, my opponent about to shoot the wrong ball is just lack of focus on his part, and shouldn't be rewarded for it. To me, it's only dishonest if I commit a foul and don't call it on myself, but if I don't tell my opponent he's about to shoot the wrong ball, I don't feel that's me being dishonest. I would NOT expect my opponent to tell me that I'm about to hit the wrong ball prior to shooting.

Quick story: I was at the WAMO state pool tournament this year and was shooting a guy during a team match who went to jump over my ball. The ball he was trying to pocket was about three inches away from another ball in my set. He clearly hit my ball first, enough that it three railed around the table, so I called a foul. He immediately refuted and said he hit his first. If the balls were close I would have given him the benefit of the doubt, but they weren't. He said if I thought it would have been close that I should have called a ref. He was absolutely right, but I don't feel I should have to call a ref any time my ball is a few inches away from his. I felt cheated, and almost felt embarrassed for him. Really made me sick.

Ok so you would call a foul on your self but u wouldnt tell your opponent that he was shooting the wrong ball,now you say at the top of ur post that it a lack of focus on your opponent part for not paying attention,well isnt that the same as ur opponent not paying attention to the game when a foul occurs.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In snooker, color blindness is allowed for. It's not uncommon for people to
not be able to tell the brown ball from the red.It's up to the player to
inform the ref that he is color blind and the ref can tell him legally that he's shooting the wrong ball.
In pool there are numbers on the ball so I don't think it's the same
problem.
However, if I knew color blindness was a problem, I would signify that
the wrong ball was being shot.
This is one of the few times that I feel morally obligated to instruct my
opponent.

It's very different in pool due to the numbers on the balls. The ref cannot tell a player he is shooting the wrong ball at any time, regardless of whether he's color blind or not. He is, however, required to answer a player's question of what numbered ball it is.

ottersbro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at no time should the outcome of the game be determined by the ref.

it's one thing to tell your opponent that their about to shoot the wrong ball, if the game is meaningless, but when you do it for a living, thats another issue.