What's the best cue you've ever shot with?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not talking about looks, but playability, hit, feel....

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it will be the new Cuetec I just got today from CrownCityCorey here on AZBilliards. I've shot with everything from ramin-wood chopstick cues to custom cues from Richard Black and I think 95% of it is getting used to something and mental state. I'm not so sure any one cue can be judged against another...assuming they are made of quality parts.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is very subjective as you can see. For me the list is long, starting with an original Bushka that I played with in the 70's. Such a sweet cue, why did I ever sell it :frown:. Then I had a beautiful Gus that I loaned to Keith and he won the B.C, Open with it. Sold that in New York for 4K in 1994. Mistake #2. After that I loved the plain maple Tad I owned for many years. I loaned it to Tang and he won some big tourneys with it and finished second in the U.S. Open in 1998.

Another cue I loved the hit on was a Tascarella that was pawned to me for big dollars. The guy actually came up with the money and bailed it out. Nowadays my best hitting cues include an old Corsair (looks just like a Tad), a Ned Morris, my Starkey that Mark Tadd used successfully and of course my primary playing cue for over ten years, my JOSEY!

I'm into plain (no points) cues now and a couple of my favs include a cocobola Samsara and a brand new OB-1 Black Beauty. They both have super solid and clean hits to them.

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is very subjective as you can see. For me the list is long, starting with an original Bushka that I played with in the 70's. Such a sweet cue, why did I ever sell it :frown:. Then I had a beautiful Gus that I loaned to Keith and he won the B.C, Open with it. Sold that in New York for 4K in 1994. Mistake #2. After that I loved the plain maple Tad I owned for many years. I loaned it to Tang and he won some big tourneys with it and finished second in the U.S. Open in 1998.

Another cue I loved the hit on was a Tascarella that was pawned to me for big dollars. The guy actually came up with the money and bailed it out. Nowadays my best hitting cues include an old Corsair (looks just like a Tad), a Ned Morris, my Starkey that Mark Tadd used successfully and of course my primary playing cue for over ten years, my JOSEY!

I'm into plain (no points) cues now and a couple of my favs include a cocobola Samsara and a brand new OB-1 Black Beauty. They both have super solid and clean hits to them.

Jay
What is an OB-1 Black Beauty?

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay, you got a cue I can borrow? lol

Maybe with one of your lucky cues and I can win something someday! Never mind the fact that the people you lent yours to were great players!;)

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, the best cue I ever shot with was a 1 piece house cue. Sneaky petes would be my second choice. My player is a 25 year old Huebler sneaky with phenolic joint collars. :thumbup:

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have, and have had, numerous cues I really liked. The one of all of them that nothing has knocked out of the #1 spot yet is an Ebony into BEM, piloted SS, 4pt, 4 veneer, short-spliced Jeff Olney - and I use Cash cues ferrule-less shafts with it.
I had a piloted SS Tasc that hit great... but I like the Olney better.
My McDaniel & a purpleheart Titlist converted by Lee Pepper are next in line.

Last edited:

izquik72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For my personal:
So far The best Playing cue is an early 80's 4 pt Scruggs
Micarta joint piloted 5/16 x 14 It hits sweet!

Best Hitting is my Gilbert Hoppe W kamui blak med very solid

Luckily for me these are still in my bag

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ihad a great mcdaniel as well but was stolen about 20 years ago
my favorite was an old National. I played perfect with that cue but went broke and hocked it.
next was a palmer, I played perfect ith that cue but went broke and hocked it.
next was a Gina, and played perfect with that cue but went broke and hocked it.
I had joss i played perfect that but went broke and hocked it.
next was a meucci and it hit lie shit and I threw it inot the Red river after I went broke with it.
i had a nice schonn and played perfect with that cue but went broke and hocked it.
i had a great Paul Mottey but missed the 9 on the hill and broke it.
Then I had another Joss West. I really loved that cue but went broke many times and hocked it many times, but one time too many.
next i got another Schonn and just loved it. i quit playing and started directing tournaments and went broke and hocked it.
my next was another Schonn but hocked it at a Gamblers anonymous meeting

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scruggs sneaky pete. Best cue I've ever hit with, and it cost less than a trip to Ruth's Chris. ;)

Aaron

TNKen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my favorite was an old National. I played perfect with that cue but went broke and hocked it.
next was a palmer, I played perfect ith that cue but went broke and hocked it.
next was a Gina, and played perfect with that cue but went broke and hocked it.
I had joss i played perfect that but went broke and hocked it.
next was a meucci and it hit lie shit and I threw it inot the Red river after I went broke with it.
i had a nice schonn and played perfect with that cue but went broke and hocked it.
i had a great Paul Mottey but missed the 9 on the hill and broke it.
Then I had another Joss West. I really loved that cue but went broke many times and hocked it many times, but one time too many.
next i got another Schonn and just loved it. i quit playing and started directing tournaments and went broke and hocked it.
my next was another Schonn but hocked it at a Gamblers anonymous meeting

Hummmm..... Methinks me sees a pattern developing here.

goldcrown4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've hit with Pechauer, Joss, Shon's, nicer Vikings, and my Mali M17, but overall I think Jimmy Reeves makes the best hitting, playable cue I've ever used.

(Incidentally, my Mali was once stolen from my Jeep and in a rather unexpected manner, I got it back about a year later, but during the time it was stolen and sold, I borrowed a Reeves Custom Cue 'sneaky-pete' that was just a dream! Should have bought that one when I had the chance. I hear there's extensive waiting time for Reeves.)

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I owned about 10 really nice cues,ironically enough I kept buying them at this one Hockshop(weird):eek::smile: