Lose on purpose

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just started with a new team in a different league. First off let me say I play much better then the average league player. So last night I just crushed my first four opponents. My team captain asked me twice to lose the last game on purpose so our handicap would not be so big. We just started and handicaps are still being figured out.
I declined both times and said that's not how I play.
I would rather quit the team then lose on purpose.
Any thoughts on this?

rrich1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he a good friend or is somebody else on the team your friend? i wouldnt lose on purpose and i dont tell my team to lose on purpose. if handicaps become an issue find new people.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I just started with a new team in a different league. First off let me say I play much better then the average league player. So last night I just crushed my first four opponents. My team captain asked me twice to lose the last game on purpose so our handicap would not be so big. We just started and handicaps are still being figured out.
Any thoughts on this?

People play leagues for different reasons.

Shakespeare said it best: "To thy own self be true."

Follow that bit of advice and things will work out just fine.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good for you

I think you have something sandbaggers do not; the word is integrity.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always play to your ability. I may not be the best but I would never lose on purpose. Kudos to you for not giving in.

JamesJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simple

Find a new team or start your own. Many people will weigh in on what's right and wrong here and that simply does not matter to answer your question.

There is legitimate strategy in handicapped league play. I've been a league captain for about 3 years for mostly handicapped league. Like you, I won't compromise a single shot or game. My team gets along great and everyone tries their hardest for love of the game. It's more important for us to play the game the best we can. We like to win, but winning is secondary and any money at the end is not a driving force for any of us.

Your philosophy and integrity is obviously not in-line with your team captain. You will not be happy on such a team and they won't be happy to have you, or at least the captain won't be, and their will be no team synergy.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand not wanting to lose a game just to keep the average down for handicapping purposes. But what if it would mean winning or losing a round in the match?

My team had a match where the last player needed to make 3 balls to win the round. His opponent was a very good player who broke and ran out often, or played good safeties. He was expected to go for the stalemate and a rerack if my teammate got his 3 off the table.

Teammate made his three points, then attempted to shoot the 8 in, but missed. Game ended up being rerack (3 consecutive foul or no ball pocketed rule) and the opponent broke and ran the table, winning the round.

Some say playing a safe is dirty pool.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been my experience playing in a league for many years that very seldom does the handicap come into actual play. Occasionally it does, but usually the better team is going to win regardless of the handicap. I win every game possible personally.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
I would not lose on purpose,

The handicap only affects the weakest teams, and even then they will still lose, or should....if the handicap is honest.

Teams that try to sandbag are usualy found out and they get the reputation thatthey deserve.

bearnall

Registered
What is the point in playing in a handicap league if you manipulate the handicap? The handicap system only works if all those involved have integrity...including all players, captains and especially league operators. i have found in many years of league play that the best leagues are the ones that are run by the rules. every rule...not just the ones that serve you at the time. Either your captain needs to get a big dose of integrity or you need to find a new team.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
There is no way I could stomach losing on purpose. I don't care if it's in league, a tournament, money match or just plain old practice. Play the game to beat your opponent every rack. It doesn't matter if your opponent is a person, the table, the layout or yourself......you play to win.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Rufus, Shakespear didn't say that, Polonius did.

Ok so I should have said Shakespeare wrote it. You know it is from Hamlet. Shakespeare is widely accepted by most people as the author of Hamlet. So, Polonius' voice was given to him by Shakespeare.

Tough crowd in here tonight :)

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Just teasin ya bud. Polonius did have some great advice in that story tho.
Shakespears main theme in any story was man is a master of his own destiny.

Something that this thread is kind of about. Do you have integrity or can you throw a game.
Which also goes with To thine own self be true. Cause no one is going to do it for you.

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measureman:

I think you handled it correctly... Well done! Friend or not, your team captain is trying to mitigate a skill cap issue at your expense; instead, he needs to do his job as captain and restructure the team with new players so that skill cap isn't an issue. In other words, he is putting his responsibility on your shoulders.

If he continues to make this request of you, or slights you for holding your ground, I'd make it an easy problem for him to solve by just leaving the team. You are there to win and have fun (I assume), and this kind of thing takes away from that, not just for you but for everybody.

Cheers.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any thoughts on this?

I absolutely agree. Why play if you aren't trying to win. I would nicely tell the captain that I won't sandbag, and if he can't allow me to play all out then he needs to find a different peron to play in my spot.