CJ Wiley to make a documentary of the infamous Earl One million dollar run

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also remember when breaking, Earl saying he wasn't making balls down table either, and his hand cleaning each ball gave em what was needed to bring em up table to pocket em. This occurrence was to me, greater than the 526 of Mosconi, too many things could go wrong, and Earl shooting that length of table one Nine combo was SPECIAL, and that word doesn't seem to put in the proper perspective.
Someone should find Nick Mannino, his description of that time/place would be Very interesting, I think Nick got one game.

I guess i'm responding to you and others, but this is WAY stronger than the 526 I think. I mean, people run 11's and 9's perhaps there have been some 13's??

But put a million on the line and run an 11 at THAT exact point in time???!!!

This to me is up there with greatest sports feats ever.... without a doubt, not even a close consideration to not be there.

For me, I rely heavily on monetary value of what an athlete accomplished under the gun, and perhaps extreme pride (eg olympics).

Is there a ball tally on this run? Let's just say he made 85 balls in those 11 racks. Shooting 85 balls, without missing, having to make one on the break, AND with a million on the line. Has to be considered one of the greatest sports feats ever.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Let's just say he made 85 balls in those 11 racks. ...

The prize was for 10 in a row; the 11th was icing on the run.

The ball count probably was a bit less than your estimate. In the first 10 games, he had 6 full run-outs, 2 9's on the break, and 2 combos on the 9. And then a full run-out as the 11th game icing.

But, yeah, quite a thing.

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Not sure if it helps, but I have high quality HD content filmed with 2 cameras of earl telling the story and reinacting the last rack.

Nathan...a perfect teaser for us while we wait for the full meal deal, would be to take as little of your time as possible and just toss it up on vimeo or youtube in the raw. If you wanted too. Or at least contact cj and let him know what you got. Might save Earl from having to tell the same story twice if he was going to have him do that.

Sent from my phone. Lucky you, you get the abbreviated version. :D

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard CJ tell this story and shortly after I heard it from him I heard the other side of the story straight from one of the lawyers that defended the insurance company that was supposed to pay out the prize money. (I will see if this lawyer might be in the DVD but I don't know if he would want to or even be allowed to because he is back with that same firm). Until I recently moved I worked for the state bar association in Texas and coincidentally one of the VIP lawyers I worked with heard I play pool and I guess it triggered his memory about this case he defended so he told me the story. His side seemed fairly similar to CJ's story but in the end, it sounded like both sides had legitimate legal arguements to hold up their case but the main points that would make or break the case for either side couldn't be proved on either side so I believe they settled.

The magnitude of the law suit though I guess is a matter of perspective. This lawyer I spoke to is now a very high profile man (was the general counsel for Rick Perry until a year ago) and the firm did have a large number of attorney working on this case. However, it is also one of the largest firms in the world and this was early in that lawyer's career. These firms have many multi-million dollar clients so in their perspective this was a fairly average case.

I am definitely interested to see the documentary though. I really think films like this can bring interest to the sport from people who are not pool players.

maxeberle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there and watched the run from rack 5 on...

The most electrifying single moment in pool, or all of sports for that matter that I have ever witnessed was the 1-9 combo that Earl the Pearl made to win the 10th rack and Million Bucks! Totally unreal, or surreal.

I had a good tournament too, ending up 4th, I was 23. Earl congratulated me after, saying "It's nice to see someone else up here" haha.

Great idea CJ! Can't wait to see the film and/or be a part of it.

Max

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
I have heard CJ tell this story and shortly after I heard it from him I heard the other side of the story straight from one of the lawyers that defended the insurance company that was supposed to pay out the prize money. (I will see if this lawyer might be in the DVD but I don't know if he would want to or even be allowed to because he is back with that same firm). Until I recently moved I worked for the state bar association in Texas and coincidentally one of the VIP lawyers I worked with heard I play pool and I guess it triggered his memory about this case he defended so he told me the story. His side seemed fairly similar to CJ's story but in the end, it sounded like both sides had legitimate legal arguements to hold up their case but the main points that would make or break the case for either side couldn't be proved on either side so I believe they settled.

The magnitude of the law suit though I guess is a matter of perspective. This lawyer I spoke to is now a very high profile man (was the general counsel for Rick Perry until a year ago) and the firm did have a large number of attorney working on this case. However, it is also one of the largest firms in the world and this was early in that lawyer's career. These firms have many multi-million dollar clients so in their perspective this was a fairly average case.

I am definitely interested to see the documentary though. I really think films like this can bring interest to the sport from people who are not pool players.

Thanks for your input Cris. I hope since CJ tells it all .. both sides of the story. I'm sure he would know what each law firm was arguing their case on. That guy sure would be able to add to the documentary though :smile:

9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There seems to be some confusion here on how many racks Earl needed to run to win 1 million dollars. It was the million dollar challenge and 10 racks had to be run to claim the million dollars. After the 1-9 combo Earl won the million dollars and everyone celebrated.

Well after it all died down Earl still had to go back and finish the match against Nick Maninino, Well Earl being Earl Gets to the table and broke and ran another rack making it a total of 11 racks.

H.P.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I was there and watched the run from rack 5 on...

The most electrifying single moment in pool, or all of sports for that matter that I have ever witnessed was the 1-9 combo that Earl the Pearl made to win the 10th rack and Million Bucks! Totally unreal, or surreal.

I had a good tournament too, ending up 4th, I was 23. Earl congratulated me after, saying "It's nice to see someone else up here" haha.

Great idea CJ! Can't wait to see the film and/or be a part of it.

Max

Max, I told CJ about the Black/White pic of you and Harriman/Tang Hoa and Daulton? contact em, he may like to insert a copy, if you've still got it, but I too agree, frikin' amazing.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yep

Re-read the thread, and you will find out why the required 10 racks turned into a required 11 racks.;)

I agree; I questioned this earlier.....according to the "rules" I think the last 5 racks had to be videotaped and (?) racked by someone else, and since Earl racked the 6th game and ran out without it being recorded, I think he had to run 11 racks after all.....although along with many others, he must've thought he won it on the 10th rack too, when he hit that 1-9 combo.....If he didn't run that 11th rack, I wonder whether they would've won the case.........?

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to know why CJ never paid Benny Edwards at CJ's soo many years ago. I remember Benny beating him fair and square 1-pocket and CJ stiffed him in his own joint. Thats the story I would like to know!

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
I would like to know why CJ never paid Benny Edwards at CJ's soo many years ago. I remember Benny beating him fair and square 1-pocket and CJ stiffed him in his own joint. Thats the story I would like to know!

ummm.. couldn't you just start your own thread? This thread is about CJ making a documentary about the million dollar run involving Earl Strickland. I've did my best to try and find something in your post that is evenly remotely on topic for this thread, but I can't.

So about all I can do is try and steer you along

Good luck
newthread.jpg

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I heard that this will be on the bonus features on the documentary DVD. CJ will go into depth with an hour-long description of the game and why things turned out the way they did with painstakingly recreated verbal renditions of each shot in each game. You will be able to close your eyes and see the exact positions of the balls and get CJ's thoughts on each moment of the game. All shall be revealed from this historic match, things you never knew even if you were there and playing......

Island Drive

Silver Member
I heard that this will be on the bonus features on the documentary DVD. CJ will go into depth with an hour-long description of the game and why things turned out the way they did with painstakingly recreated verbal renditions of each shot in each game. You will be able to close your eyes and see the exact positions of the balls and get CJ's thoughts on each moment of the game. All shall be revealed from this historic match, things you never knew even if you were there and playing......

Brain joggle, Daulton was bettin' it up with Amarillo Slim, one hole 15 to 5, on the ten footer during this time.

Rusty C

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

the story i heard clint was that benny beat cj out of 10,000,then tried to collect it and got barred.I guess you need to post up no matter who your playing

Island Drive

Silver Member
the story i heard clint was that benny beat cj out of 10,000,then tried to collect it and got barred.I guess you need to post up no matter who your playing

That rule has always been true, in any business arrangement....