CJ Wiley to make a documentary of the infamous Earl One million dollar run

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll bet the tournament turned into a different animal with the 1M prize at stake. Everyone tries to run every rack instead of taking sensible safes...

Probably a lot more entertaining to watch.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yep

I've always thought this was one of the greatest accomplishments in pool. The idea that it was either a million dollars or nothing made for an incredible amount of pressure. Imagine coming up dry on the break or missing in the last rack.

In addition to Earl's break ability, he was known for those "come" shots....This one had to be one of the greatest he ever came with....(the long 1-9 combination to finish the 10th rack)....

One thing I'm not clear about.....Did Earl have to run that 11th rack to claim the prize? (Because the last 5 racks had to be racked by somebody else)

...or had he won the prize with the 1-9 combo on the 10th rack?

FreeShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I'm not clear about.....Did Earl have to run that 11th rack to claim the prize? (Because the last 5 racks had to be racked by somebody else)

...or had he won the prize with the 1-9 combo on the 10th rack?

The way I understood it was the last 5 racks had to be videotaped. Earl went ahead and racked the sixth game instead of waiting for the filming to be arranged. So even though he already had 6, the last five had to be videotaped for verification to claim the prize.

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
...and that is the rest of the story... as Paul Harvey would say. Not much left to tell CJ

Last edited:

javi2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking forward to the DVD. Things need to be cleared up. In the June 1996 issue of Billiards Digest, (the one with Earl on the cover in a smoking jacket burning cash), things are different. They have Earl making the 9 on the break 5 TIMES. They say he did so in games 2, 4, 6, 7 and 9. You gotta believe Jay, hell, he was there. I just can't understand how B.D got it so wrong......

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
Realistically in the grand scheme of things does it really matter.

How many CD's are going to be sold, like 10?

I've known CJ 31 years and there ain't much to this story, but there's a lot to him and story tellin.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Realistically in the grand scheme of things does it really matter.

How many CD's are going to be sold, like 10?

I've known CJ 31 years and there ain't much to this story, but there's a lot to him and story tellin.

I bet he sells more than 10, probably will sell more than a 100 of them. I myself could sell a dozen of them I think. If it has those last 5 racks in it which have never been seen before it is worth something to us pool nuts who have heard about it but never saw it. :smile:

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
I bet he sells more than 10, probably will sell more than a 100 of them. I myself could sell a dozen of them I think. If it has those last 5 racks in it which have never been seen before it is worth something to us pool nuts who have heard about it but never saw it. :smile:

Boom... that's it right there... especially the last rack...

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Wow... you guys are so brutal over here about EVERY topic, no matter what it is!:smile: Someone could catch Little Orphan Annie in the act of sharing her ice cream cone to Poor Petey, who's cone accidentally fell on the ground, and when they posted over here about the random act of kindness they witnessed.... it would take less then 6 posts max before the negative posts would start coming in about something... Brutal.. I say!!!!:D

I heard Annie knocked Petey's cone to the ground, then stepped on it.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
What's also amazing, as I was there, Earl wiped off every ball after every rack before he broke. The new style pockets on these gold crowns were soft and marks came off and on to the balls almost like a black pencil eraser, pretty perceptive and it was totally unreal that he did this 99 times. He also complained about the roof mounted a/c unit blowing and making the balls from side to side run faster in one direction than the other because of the unit. I wrote and article, it was reproduced word for word in the P&B mag, and I'm not a writer by any means, but since my dad passed during the event, matters were pretty clear that weekend. It would be great if someone could/would dig up that article and post it on here, PM if you do, thanks, the event was April 1996 so the may or june issue would be the one, I caught the moment.

sydbarret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the greatest accomplishment in pool history and it aint even close!! I can't beleive some are downplaying this story. Even if I knew the whole story and was there reliving it on video would be amazing...and a documentary to go along with it would even be better. Sign me up for a dvd I can't wait.

igotfelt

Registered
Talk about a movie script..........I don't now how much more could be added to it, but the whole story was amazing then and still is now.

I went to that tourney, but unfortunately, didn't witness the run.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I am in. Esepcially if it's drawn out. Run a rack - tell a story - run a rack - tell a story - make it juicy.........

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like the really crucial part of it will be if Earl will be interviewed for it.

In a group lesson I asked him about it and he showed us the one nine combo he won the final rack with.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I'm the only one that really knows what happened and I've kept it private for 15 years.....
Not even Earl knows what happened?????

Jay was there and there was something on here about it once, or maybe it was in his book.....:scratchhead:

Last edited:

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member

Jay was there and there was something on here about it once, or maybe it was in his book.....:scratchhead:

In post 9 of on page 1, there is a link to Jay's recollection.

I think he is conveying that while there are many people that know varying degree's of what happened, that even the ones closest to the story, do not know the whole story.

Regardless, of who knows what, I cannot wait to see the racks being played. How does one get their mind right in this situation to keep from being a quivering mess? A person has nothing in their memory banks to compare it against. No tournament, no gambling session has ever went thru the mind, like the magnitude of this one. A MILLION DOLLARS!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I also remember when breaking, Earl saying he wasn't making balls down table either, and his hand cleaning each ball gave em what was needed to bring em up table to pocket em. This occurrence was to me, greater than the 526 of Mosconi, too many things could go wrong, and Earl shooting that length of table one Nine combo was SPECIAL, and that word doesn't seem to put in the proper perspective.
Someone should find Nick Mannino, his description of that time/place would be Very interesting, I think Nick got one game.

Last edited:

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm guessing this has to do with the legal proceedings that Earl was absent for.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Not sure if it helps, but I have high quality HD content filmed with 2 cameras of earl telling the story and reinacting the last rack.