Kamui - ed OUT

cmb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just been blindsided when placing an order for Kamui chalk. In the past it was $10 a block with a msrp of $20. I sold it unadvertised for $15. BUT today I was informed it was now $20 a block with the msrp $27.95. Well that was it for me carrying Kamui chalk for my customers. When one pays the shipping and tax their products become one of convience to our customers and won't keep us going as a business. This seems like price fixing.

This stinks. They have a good tip also, that is in constant demand. But they are higher than other tips. Kamui tips are continuing to rise in price. I will have to see where they go now on their tips.

No more Kamui chalk products for us.
Thanks for
CMB

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just been blindsided when placing an order for Kamui chalk. In the past it was $10 a block with a msrp of $20. I sold it unadvertised for $15. BUT today I was informed it was now $20 a block with the msrp $27.95. Well that was it for me carrying Kamui chalk for my customers. When one pays the shipping and tax their products become one of convience to our customers and won't keep us going as a business. This seems like price fixing.

This stinks. They have a good tip also, that is in constant demand. But they are higher than other tips. Kamui tips are continuing to rise in price. I will have to see where they go now on their tips.

Thanks for
CMB

Where have you been the last year? I think I have seen 20+ topics about this :grin:

Yes it is expensive but some people really like it and are willing to pay the $30 per cube. Good luck!

LuckedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui should give a deal on a tip and chalk cube combo.
They might earn a bit more business that way getting more folks using their chalk.

For now, an Emerald/ Master combo has me smiling.

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member

Thanks for
CMB

Block seems such a substantial word for a smallish cube. However, if the profit is there, make some money. You are right though; it is hellish expensive stuff.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Heck, I got my 2 cubes for FREE. Got smart and asked two different people for a cube for my Christmas present from them. Sure hope the 2 cubes last until next Christmas 'cause I sure as hell ain't payin' darn near $30 a cube for it. It's good chalk, but it ain't THAT good!!!

Maniac (likes Blue Diamond & Masters too!)

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I tired out the Kamui soft (HARD!!! :angry:) tip and after a few tries I ripped it clear off with my teeth. Slapped a Moori medium back on and havent looked back.

Kamui chalk is truly a great piece of chalk and worth the asking price but I like to chalk after every shot. Its part of my pre-shot routine and I would burn threw a cube of Kamui in no time flat. That and I like to chalk as I look at the table and plan out my patterns or safety play or kick shots. Just seems unnatural not to chalk for 4 or 5 racks.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I tired out the Kamui soft (HARD!!! :angry:) tip and after a few tries I ripped it clear off with my teeth. Slapped a Moori medium back on and havent looked back.

Kamui chalk is truly a great piece of chalk and worth the asking price but I like to chalk after every shot. Its part of my pre-shot routine and I would burn threw a cube of Kamui in no time flat. That and I like to chalk as I look at the table and plan out my patterns or safety play or kick shots. Just seems unnatural not to chalk for 4 or 5 racks.

I too have trouble with the going through a rack without chalking.

I also find the Kamui tips to play harder than they are advertised. The Kamui medium I have on one of my shafts plays much harder than a Moori medium or a Sniper.

Maniac (sticks by the old tried-and-true Triangle tips and Masters chalk)

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for
CMB

Hello CMB - if your cost was 10 and you sold for 15; your margin was 33% and $5. Buy for $20 and sell for $30 - Same 33% margin but $10 in actual margin dollars. This is a better deal for you as a reseller!

I realize this is doubling your current sell price, but if demand is there ...... Personally i wouldn't pay it! :shocked:

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for
CMB

I heard that the setup for Kamui is that only one man in the US has been awarded the rights from Kamui to sell their products to other distributors. So what do you think happens when the Feringi take over commerce?

TheThaiger

Banned
Hello CMB - if your cost was 10 and you sold for 15; your margin was 33% and $5. Buy for $20 and sell for $30 - Same 33% margin but $10 in actual margin dollars. This is a better deal for you as a reseller!

I realize this is doubling your current sell price, but if demand is there ...... Personally i wouldn't pay it! :shocked:

The first batch sold for $25 - the OP indicates he bought it from Kamui for £10, so that's $15 a cube the retailers are making or 150% mark-up...no wonder it's so damn expensive!

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using Kamui Super Soft and soft tips recently and they are hard. I am hoping they last a long time and that the Kamui chalk will prevent them from miscueing. Even though they are pricey, I am still a happy customer.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using Kamui Super Soft and soft tips recently and they are hard. I am hoping they last a long time and that the Kamui chalk will prevent them from miscueing. Even though they are pricey, I am still a happy customer.

The Diamond chalk by Masters is just as good as Kamui and is much cheaper, albeit expensive also.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Kamui has a pretty impressive business model..
Buy our soft (hard) tips, they work great, but only if you use our special (expensive) chalk!
Ha ha ha!

meuccise11

Registered
I agree. The new style tips do not play as well as the older version. Most of my customers, myself included, have quit using them because they are too hard and miscue alot. Some have asked if I can get the older version, which I had no problems with. I have also noticed issues with getting the newer version to adhere to the ferrule, so I checked with some cuemakers I know and they are running into the same problem. Some, have stopped selling them because of this. I will admit that they play better when you use the Kamui chalk, but you still have to chalk more often.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
The Diamond chalk by Masters is just as good as Kamui and is much cheaper, albeit expensive also.

What brings you to this conclusion?? I am just curious. I've got a cube of Kamui and to be honest, it's pretty amazing stuff. What is this Diamond by Masters you speak of?

I have heard of Blue Diamond, just not diamond?

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sell and install the tips, but have not carried the chalk.

Yesterday a customer of mine called me up, and asked If I'd meet up at the pool room with him to hit a few balls and give him some pointers. being out of play for a while I figured I could use some practice anyhow so I met up with him to roll the rock around some.

He's captain of one of the league teams here, but also plays on another team in another county. He mentioned something about a guy on His other team using some really expensive chalk, and basically how he wouldn't pay that much for 1 cube, but that the other guy loved the chalk, did not have to chalk up very often, and would use no other chalk. Anyhow he couldn't remember the name of it, so I asked him if It was Kamui, and he said yes that sounded like It. I then proceeded to tell him that It's made By the same company as the tip that he recently had me install on his cue.

He said the guy pays $35 for a cube, so apparently some people are charging more then the MSRP.

Jobba786

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess he means Blue Diamond made by Tweeten (who also makes Master chalk) for Longoni.

mrshifty

Registered
I have been using Blue Diamond for a while now and just bought my 1st piece of Kamui. I have to say from my limited use that the Kamui is much better.