USBTC Professional or not?

2l82bgr8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
let's start this by being perfectly clear. I am Ric Jones of Bad Boys Billiard Productions. I was hired by Mark Griffin of CSI to be the tournament director for the USBT. This whole deal is on me and no one else.

Apparently Stevie Moore took issue with having to put tokens in the live stream table. He threw a fit, got in Kenny Shuman's face and Justin's before putting his problem on Shane Van Boening, (his opponent). He went as far as calling Shane stupid for not having a problem paying for his games, Stevie even implied that TAR should being paying him and Shane be cause they were on the pay per view.

Unfortunately I was not made aware of this until after the fact. I would have put an immediate stop to this, even if it meant forfieting Stevie in the hot-seat match on live stream. I feel it was very unprofessional, possibly sharking his opponent, and it was also just an idiotic argument.

First- this is a pay to play event, why should Stevie not have to pay but everyone else does. Unfortunately only the premiere matches make it to streaming. That's an added luxury most players don't get. Hummm so the little guy doesn't get to have that little touch of fame and his has to pay to play, but Stevie gets to be broadcast on the Internet across the world AND he should get it for free!

NO, not the way I see it. As far as TAR paying the players that are on the live stream, yeah right! How about each player that has a sponsor, pay TAR a percentage for showcasing the player and his or hers sponsor for the world to see.

I personally think Stevie was totally wrong!! Maybe I just see it differently. But if anyone was gonna get free games, it should be the weakest players in the event. They are the ones that raise the prize funds with their entries and help the promoters to make the expenses.

I guess I could solve all of Stevies complaints with this issue by keeping him off the TV table, but I don't think his sponsors would like that.

What do you all think?

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was the fee to enter the tournament?

I didn't witness Moore's behavior and if he did indeed behave unprofessionally, that isn't good. However, it does seem petty to make the players feed tokens into the table, especially if there was a substantial entry fee. Why not just open up the table tray?

Banks

Banned
If it's true, then he can take his game token and..

Other than that, looking forward to seeing all those tables in Lincoln City! :thumbup:

DGHustles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think based on this, without any other input, it is terribly unprofessional. But I always agree that I think it is a shame that players have to play per game. You have people paying over $100 to enter and traveling from all over the world, really where does the cost end? I think it is bad form to make ANY player play per game! Where does that money go?

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually think Stevie has an argument here. Although, it doesn't sound like he handled it very well.

What exactly does a professional pool player get out of being streamed? I suppose their sponsors appreciate the visibility, but I'm talking about the player himself.

I think players the caliber of SVB, Stevie Moore, and Bustamante, just to name a few, deserve some small level of appreciation for playing on a stream. After all, they do help bring in more viewers don't they? Now, I don't think it's always the case that the players need to be compensated. I think the size and the scope of the tournament should be considered.

I think a small token of the streamer's appreciation could be having the streaming table open for play (if this is at all possible). It seems like the players are getting nickel and dimed when they have to put coins in after every rack. It doesn't sound like Stevie was looking for a pay day or anything. Or even an "appearance fee". He probably just feels like he is being taken advantage of and I sort of understand that position.

2l82bgr8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where does the money go? Seriously! What do you think it cost to bring in 40 tables in one truck, 10 9' tables and all the other equipment in another. Insurance, fuel, maintenance of the tables, all the work of pulling off an event.
Oh hell you do the math

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with your sentiments completely. If true that Stevie acted this way is unacceptable and unprofessional. There was no surprise with the table since it had been that way from start to end. People lose site that these tournaments are not huge money makers after factoring in the cost and time of putting them on. And trying to recoup some money or make a small profit should be expected and encouraged. This attitude is the same problem everywhere though. And people still can't figure out why this sport is stuck on life support.

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One "BAD" Apple spoils the whole barrel.

Ric, thanks for all the effort, got to watch a little of your stream and it was fantastic (Professional).
You, did nothing wrong and unfortunately cannot be everywhere at any given time.

I, don't know how you guys take it, Mark, Justin, Kenny, Bob Beauliu and others who are trying to promote the game.

No matter how much you do and give for the game, someone will sh__ on you and tell you that you owe them.
They offer no help but have no problem telling you how to run your tournament and walk away in a huff.

I don't know you but if you said that respected friends told you this about Stevie, then I would ban Stevie Moore and send letters to his sponsors.

This Madness has to stop !

Take Care, Barney.......all the best

DGHustles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where does the money go? Seriously! What do you think it cost to bring in 40 tables in one truck, 10 9' tables and all the other equipment in another. Insurance, fuel, maintenance of the tables, all the work of pulling off an event.
Oh hell you do the math

I was not attempting to be smug, I apologize. What I meant was if that goes to you guys, perhaps there is a better way to collect that, perhaps raising entry fees to cover it. What I was getting at was that it seems to be bad form, imo, to charge players per game. I'm sure many players, if not most, had a problem with this.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was not attempting to be smug, I apologize. What I meant was if that goes to you guys, perhaps there is a better way to collect that, perhaps raising entry fees to cover it. What I was getting at was that it seems to be bad form, imo, to charge players per game. I'm sure many players, if not most, had a problem with this.

The USBTC has been a pay-per-game event since I first went to it in the 1990's. Everyone knows what to expect when they sign up for that tournament. Also, I think there is something like $25,000 added to the events, so the players can definitely make some money there.

I am pretty sure that the first time Stevie played on the stream table it WAS open, but the decision was made that ALL tables were to be paid for by the players. Not TAR's fault, just the way it is.

He was very unprofessional in how he acted. It certainly changes the way I view him, not that he cares one way or the other.

9ballkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ric, what you are failing to mention is that Stevie and Ernesto played the very first match on the streaming table and it was open. So when Stevie returned to the stream table to play SVB he was under the impression the table was still open. I have watched Stevie play on the stream table in person numerous times in Reno and he never complained about paying. This was a misunderstanding. Also, in the past Bad Boys have opened the stream table for the semi-finals and finals. I think your post is very unprofessional trying to bash Stevie for a simple misunderstanding. Stevie probably spent around $200.00 in tokens during this event. Just an opinion from someone who was sitting 5 feet from Stevie when this all went down.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suppose their sponsors appreciate the visibility, but I'm talking about the player himself.

IMO, this is to the benefit of the players. Exposure for their sponsors is the most important thing to help them keep their sponsorship. What's in it for their sponsors to continue their relationship if not for exposure and the chance to increase their business?

Since it was a pay by the game tournament Stevie saving maybe $9 for the stream (or whatever they charge/game) worth the effort and the embarrassment for his hissy fit? Maybe he should have concentrated on his match which if won, would have been worth considerably more.

Dave

DGHustles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stevie was "unprofessional." There had to be a better way to address the issue. Just like this post, I don't think flaming Stevie is right either. While I agree with Bad Boys here, this type of public bashing is not very proper either.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Stevie's conduct in handling the issue was perhaps wrong/unprofessional (I wasn't there), but he is right.

When he discovered this coin-drop issue, he should have declined to play on the stream table - as it must be optional.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stevie's conduct in handling the issue was perhaps wrong/unprofessional (I wasn't there), but he is right.

When he discovered this coin-drop issue, he should have declined to play on the stream table - as it must be optional.

Why must it be optional? I'm not disagreeing, just wondering. All of the players entered the event knowing that the tournament would be live-streamed.

RobertR

WWSLD
Silver Member
I was a first-hand witness to this.

Stevie's point may be debatable, at the appropriate time, with the appropriate people involved. If there *were* a players association, and bargaining were to take place between them and TAR, this might have been a valid point to discuss. When it comes down to it though, TAR does way more for the players than they do for them.

His choice of timing, as well as his demeanor during this episode could only be described as childish.

It's simple from a player standpoint. One table open, all open. Or none at all. Which to me was the right choice, and from what I could gather, BadBoys decision.

Simple fact is, Johhny Archer needs a better mouthpiece. Choosing a locksmith that views the pool world like if anyone is making money they are stealing from him was a bad choice.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
let's start this by being perfectly clear. I am Ric Jones of Bad Boys Billiard Productions. I was hired by Mark Griffin of CSI to be the tournament director for the USBT. This whole deal is on me and no one else.
Apparently Stevie Moore took issue with having to put tokens in the live stream table. He threw a fit, got in Kenny Shuman's face and Justin's before putting his problem on Shane Van Boening, (his opponent). He went as far as calling Shane stupid for not having a problem paying for his games, Stevie even implied that TAR should being paying him and Shane be cause they were on the pay per view.
Unfortunately I was not made aware of this until after the fact. I would have put an immediate stop to this, even if it meant forfieting Stevie in the hot-seat match on live stream. I feel it was very unprofessional, possibly snarling his opponent, and it was also just an idiotic argument.
First- this is a pay to play event, why should Stevie not have to pay but everyone else does. Unfortunately only the premiere matches make it to streaming. That's an added luxury most players don't get. Hummm so the little guy doesn't get to have that little touch of fame and his has to pay to play, but Stevie gets to be broadcast on the Internet across the world AND he should get it for free! NO, not the way I see it. As far as TAR paying the players that are on the live stream, yeah right! How about each player that has a sponsor, pay TAR a percentage for showcasing the player and his or hers sponsor for the world to see.
I personally think Stevie was totally wrong!! Maybe I just see it differently. But if anyone was gonna get free games, it should be the weakest players in the event. They are the ones that raise the prize funds with their entries and help the promoters to make the expenses.
I guess I could solve all of Stevies complaints with this issue by keeping him off the TV table, but I don't think his sponsors would like that.
What do you all think

You should not be putting coins in the "T.V." table. It is a bit insulting. Not a huge deal, But I agree.