Bowling's Version of Earl Strickland.....

pooladdiction

shut up and rack em
Silver Member
"that's right. Who do you think you are! I am!"
That was golden man. He's even got those same glasses as Earl was wearing for a while. He's the spitting image and an asshat to boot.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The PBA tour became noticeably more "smash-mouth" after Chris Peters from Microsoft bought it and saved it from the edge of extinction.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
If Earl Strickland and John McEnroe had a baby, it would be Pete Weber.

BTW, PW is a badazz bowler and has been for many years now. When I was a young man, his daddy, Dick Weber, had his name on most of the bowling balls out there.

Except for the ones with Earl's name on them.... . . . . .

Earl Anthony, that is. :thumbup:

Thanks for posting this great clip.

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
It looks like that strike got him a five-time winning US open championship status, beating out his late fathers record of four-time winning US open champ. He looks a bit overwhelmed ;)

Al-po

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My man Pete needs to lay off the white powder, its beginning to show.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Has anyone noticed how many positive comments he received on the comment section of the link?

I have never been a fan of Pete Weber, but the linked video is tame compared to some of the other crap he's pulled.

As far as "smash-mouth" bowling has evolved, the same is happening to the once gentlemanly game of pool. Shame.

Maniac

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
The Webers

Has anyone noticed how many positive comments he received on the comment section of the link?

I have never been a fan of Pete Weber, but the linked video is tame compared to some of the other crap he's pulled.

As far as "smash-mouth" bowling has evolved, the same is happening to the once gentlemanly game of pool. Shame.

Maniac

I agree. I had the pleasure of bowling with Dick Weber in a pro-am in 1967. Dick was old school; his philosophy was accuracy rather than power, and he believed in as straight a line as practical to the pocket. Pete was the opposite early on. While today he is average when it comes to power (bigger, stronger players and better equipment), back in the '70s he was considered a power bowler (lots of rotation, lots of hook). His fluid approach and delivery is as good as any bowler ever. He obviously has a nasty temper just below the surface, but he is clearly one of the best half dozen bowlers in history.
By the way, in that doubles event I shot 622 and Dick shot 653; we finished in the middle of the money.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor
Gainesville, Fl

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
Earl?

What's sad is that the guy in the OP's video won with a score of 215 which is about 20 pins below the average for the pro bowlers.

It would be like a pro pool player having 5 innings in a game of 9 ball and then thinking he's the king of the world when he eeks out a victory.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
What's sad is that the guy in the OP's video won with a score of 215 which is about 20 pins below the average for the pro bowlers.

It would be like a pro pool player having 5 innings in a game of 9 ball and then thinking he's the king of the world when he eeks out a victory.

While he did bowl a 215 to win this game, I'm guessing he had to have bowled some much higher scores in order to make it into the final. :wink:

Best,
Brian kc

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Earl won what I believe was his 5th us open he jumped on the table and said something like

"King of the world now ain't I?!!!"

Sounded identical. Love it.

Can someone find that clip? I couldn't find it on YouTube.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
his dad....

......somehow, I remember his dad as being more dignified, low-key and reserved......I guess these days, bowling has become more "in your face" screaming kind of sport........

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol! "Don't flash the camera during my approach!"

The flash is off.

"I can hear it!"

It's on silent.

"Well I can see your finger move in my peripherals! Don't do it again!"