Live Streaming anyone?

kingman33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been following this tournament since it started monday losing alot of sleep,checking the threads and then to have live footage!!! Thanks juggler314 that was great.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
juggler314 said:
98-13 now

unfortunately I think this'll be the only live stream...

I'm just a bit competative when it comes to proving my points is all:)
Well I guess you proved both of our points actually.

If you think you can do a PPV stream for 200+ or a free one with that bandwidth I think you know what would happen. Plus the fact that they shut you down proves that even if you have the capability it is only one part of a more complex problem. The tech end is fairly straight forward compared to dealing with the people.

I applaud you for buying some gear to give it a shot. Pool needs more people who put their money where their mouth is. Good on you sir.

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it was spotty, in real life probably would have had to install a seperate cable or dsl to the hotel in advance...

no clue if the issues were on my end or the hotels, I didn't get a chance to really test anything, so who knows.

I'm probably going to return the camcorder:) But I might get a better one, I bought the cheapest thing i could find that wasn't a webcam...

Actually had 51 simultaneous peak viewers - pushing about 7.5Mbit.

DP was pretty cool about the whole thing though...

JCIN said:
Well I guess you proved both of our points actually.

If you think you can do a PPV stream for 200+ or a free one with that bandwidth I think you know what would happen. Plus the fact that they shut you down proves that even if you have the capability it is only one part of a more complex problem. The tech end is fairly straight forward compared to dealing with the people.

I applaud you for buying some gear to give it a shot. Pool needs more people who put their money where their mouth is. Good on you sir.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
juggler314 said:
Yeah it was spotty, in real life probably would have had to install a seperate cable or dsl to the hotel in advance...

no clue if the issues were on my end or the hotels, I didn't get a chance to really test anything, so who knows.

I'm probably going to return the camcorder:) But I might get a better one, I bought the cheapest thing i could find that wasn't a webcam...

Actually had 51 simultaneous peak viewers - pushing about 7.5Mbit.

DP was pretty cool about the whole thing though...
If your laptop has a firewire port this camera is the nuts for something affordable http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000W4OCZS/interactiveda8742-20 it will work with the USB card as well but I find that the less links in the chain the better.

You can find it cheaper than that if you look. We have one for a 3rd camera to do B roll type stuff and just for something compact to use mobile. It has the 3CCD type sensor that most prosumer camcorders costing much more have, will do 16:9 and it is SD which is all you need for streaming anyway. I bought ours for $300. The only major downfall of this camera is no mic input for an external for commentary.

Our two main cameras are Sony PD-170's with a pretty trick hardware based DV switcher(that is about as rare as Cliff loaning someone a C Note.) and a completely separate audio system.

In the future if you do something free I would recommend Ustream. The quality is good and we have had over 800 simultaneous viewers with no problem and its free.

I checked out your companies web site and noticed the client list. You guys are dealing with a whole other world compared to anything in pool. Thanks for the effort. It is great to see someone post up and do something. Great job.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
So DP had someone that stepped forward out of the crowd that was willing to buy equipment on the spur of the moment to stream matches (and proved the worthiness of the effort by drawing 51 viewers within moments) and their response was to shut the volunteer down eventhough DP had had to put no effort, nor capital, toward the exercise?

The Emperor has no clothes folks.

Does Wei have an agreement with DP to sell his videos upon conclusion of the event?

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the agreement had to do with attracting paying attendees, and someone thought the streaming would keep them away? Just a guess.

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JCIN said:
If your laptop has a firewire port this camera is the nuts for something affordable http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000W4OCZS/interactiveda8742-20 it will work with the USB card as well but I find that the less links in the chain the better.

You can find it cheaper than that if you look. We have one for a 3rd camera to do B roll type stuff and just for something compact to use mobile. It has the 3CCD type sensor that most prosumer camcorders costing much more have, will do 16:9 and it is SD which is all you need for streaming anyway. I bought ours for $300. The only major downfall of this camera is no mic input for an external for commentary.

Our two main cameras are Sony PD-170's with a pretty trick hardware based DV switcher(that is about as rare as Cliff loaning someone a C Note.) and a completely separate audio system.

In the future if you do something free I would recommend Ustream. The quality is good and we have had over 800 simultaneous viewers with no problem and its free.

I checked out your companies web site and noticed the client list. You guys are dealing with a whole other world compared to anything in pool. Thanks for the effort. It is great to see someone post up and do something. Great job.

Ironically the laptop I normally use does not have firewire, so I bought a usb adapter, but since it was a cheap POS it didn't have vista drivers...so I had to use the old laptop which *did* have firewire - go figure right.

Yeah we do a whole other set of things, and usually we don't run the video production per se, usually just taking a feed. However believe me when i tell you that a large financial company requires absolutely nothing to go wrong and will drop a client that screws up like a hot potato...we specialize in making the client happy and not having anything go wrong, and if it does go wrong there's always a backup and usually 2...

I've seen a bunch of stuff on ustream...looks pretty decent...never used it personally though.

Personally I don't think the content hosting is really where the money is to be made, it's in the production and customer service. 10 years ago when I first did this, it was hard to actually host and serve up, now it's built into everything and there are 100 companies that will let you do some level of free streaming - making it look good and making sure it's working properly are the bigger challenge.

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
So DP had someone that stepped forward out of the crowd that was willing to buy equipment on the spur of the moment to stream matches (and proved the worthiness of the effort by drawing 51 viewers within moments) and their response was to shut the volunteer down eventhough DP had had to put no effort, nor capital, toward the exercise?

The Emperor has no clothes folks.

Does Wei have an agreement with DP to sell his videos upon conclusion of the event?

Well to be fair it is their event...so they had every right to ask me to stop.

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bluepepper said:
Maybe the agreement had to do with attracting paying attendees, and someone thought the streaming would keep them away? Just a guess.

I suppose, although by the time I got up and running, it's not like anyone was going to decide not to come over for the 8pm match...and it's not like I posted in advance, so no one would have stayed home waiting for it.

I think if there were a free live stream for the whole event you'd lose a few attendees, but like everything else it's just not the same as being there.

I'd say at the suggested $10/day you'd eat into some amount of attendance as it was costing $50/day to attend (two sessions/day at $25/session). You could also argue it would be extra money though ($10 during the day at work when you wouldn't come out anyway + $25 to attend in person).

For the virtual conferencing stuff we usually do it's an added value thing, if you can make it people come to the conference, this is just in case they can't.

There are a lot of people around teh country/world that would have liked to watch, and no way were they al going to spend the time and money to fly out to jersey.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Juggler
Is this video still available somewhere? Do you have the raw video? Might someone have captured it?

Did you film any other matches?

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Juggler
Is this video still available somewhere? Do you have the raw video? Might someone have captured it?

Did you film any other matches?

Well it's only 4 years later - but here is the link to this video: https://vimeo.com/46879643

the quality is pretty terrible, between the original only being 320x240 at 150k and the transcoding vimeo did. C'est la vie.

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I can't remember. Did you record any others??

I have the Oortman vs Ouschan match too, I think I need to transcode it - that one is bigger (640x480) and the file size is 2.5GB - free vimeo only lets you upload 500GB/week. Also something was off on the recording - interlacing I think.

I'll have to see if i can re-encode it down to just a few hundred MB and upload to vimeo.