Cut Aiming Template

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LAMas -- Your solution would give the correct aiming points (base of GB), but the numbers on the template would still not be the correct cut angles, because they relate to the OB-to-CB line rather than the GB-to-CB line.

Conceptually, the correct solution is for the cut-out to be over the GB rather than over the OB, with the arrow pointed at the CB. Then the cut-angle numbers would be correct.

AtLarge,
I concur with what you have been sayin a few times in this thread, but I have been busy supporting Dan with his template. I have trouble with GB aiming for to me it is a figment of my imagination - I imagine that it is touching the OB on the line to the pocket/target, but without a finite spot to aim the CB at, My imagination fails me.

I prefer to aim at fractions, eclipse or double distance similar to the resulting aim point in Dan's template. When the CB and OB are close together, I can see the contact point on the CB and the contact point on the OB, align the cue shaft parallel to those two points and shoot.

Back to your message. Here is a center of the CB aimed at the edge of the OB. The ghost ball is on this line and the CB is also on this line at differeent separations away from the GB and edge of the OB. All of the different CBs are on this line and the 30 degree angle doesn't change.

When I see the line from the center of the CB to the center of the OB, the included angle changes getting a little larger as the CB is placed closer to the OB - see this in my diagram.

I correlate this included angle and I aim the center of the CB at the edge of the OB. This is a more defined method of aiming at the points of aim around the equator of the OB that I have stored in my memory - like those in Dan's template.

This works for me even tho it requires adjustments for the increasing included angle as thee CB and OB are progressively closer.

0 1.jpg

I had to look for this diagram that I drew years ago.

Thanks.:smile:

Ranjmaz

Registered
Is the ball in the cutout supposed to be large enough to fit through the top of the OB, or do you pick up the OB and place this template down, then place the OB back inside the middle of the cutout?

For it to fit through, the cut out hole would have to be 2 1/4, and it seems smaller than that for me so I was just wondering.

Thanks!

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the ball in the cutout supposed to be large enough to fit through the top of the OB, or do you pick up the OB and place this template down, then place the OB back inside the middle of the cutout?

For it to fit through, the cut out hole would have to be 2 1/4, and it seems smaller than that for me so I was just wondering.

Thanks!
I made it smaller, so you can check the angle without disturbing the OB or other balls nearby. The hole just centers the template on the OB. I don't shoot the shot with the template on the table.
Dan

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I like the template, it is very informative. Looking at the small circles which represent the cue tip aiming point on the object ball, this brings to light another approach.

Instead of looking that this point on the object ball, instead look at this point on the face of the cueball, always drawing the line through the center of the object ball. Keep this lined up visually as you slide into shooting position on center cue ball.

I think this approach gets you to the same shot line, however the cueball is always a consistent distance away from your eyes (close where you can see it), whereas the object ball is harder to see those points the farther away it is. With this method you just need to find the center of the OB.

I believe this is similar to a method CJ Wiley teaches.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
The best training device is Babe Cranfields the "Arrow".

Try using the template mentioned with a rail first shot or sending the CB 2 rails to hit the OB.

Pool goes beyond cut shots, something that seems to be forgotten about.

The arrow can be used with the two types of shots I mentioned above, plus caroms and combos.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
OK I will ask this again since last time you ignored it in another thread.

WHY would you want to use the arrow for a rail first, or a 2 rail kick. Would you not be better off learning a few kicking systems so you don't have to rely on a device with an associated learned skill that you cannot use in competition?

Try using the template mentioned with a rail first shot or sending the CB 2 rails to hit the OB.

The arrow can be used with the two types of shots I mentioned above, plus caroms and combos.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I made a simple paper template to help see and learn cut angles.
Dan,

Awesome job!

FYI, to make it easy to find in the future, I've added your revised image to my cut angle resource page with credit to you and a link to your post. I've also added the following description:

Below is a template posted by oldschool1478 (in AZB post) that can be useful to estimate cut angles and required aim points when practicing. If the center of the cutout is placed over the ghost-ball position with the arrow pointed back to the cue ball, sighting to the pocket gives the necessary cut angle, clock position, and aim point (center of small circle) relative to the object ball. For example, the required aim for a 30 degree cut (assuming no throw) is through the edge of the object ball.​

Obviously, I agree with AtLarge concerning placing the cutout over the estimated ghost-ball position instead of the object ball.

Again, good work. That template can be useful to some people.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, if people want to try it out, printable versions of Cransfield's Arrow can be found here:

Bob Jewett and I show how to use it on VEPP-I. Briefly, the vertex of the tail is placed directly below the edge of the OB with the line pointing to the pocket (adjusting for throw if necessary). The point of the arrow then indicates the required aim point (i.e., the center of the required ghost-ball position).

As you point out, it is a useful training device.

Regards,
Dave

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan,

Awesome job!

FYI, to make it easy to find in the future, I've added your revised image to my cut angle resource page with credit to you and a link to your post. I've also added the following description:

Below is a template posted by oldschool1478 (in AZB post) that can be useful to estimate cut angles and required aim points when practicing. If the center of the cutout is placed over the ghost-ball position with the arrow pointed back to the cue ball, sighting to the pocket gives the necessary cut angle, clock position, and aim point (center of small circle) relative to the object ball. For example, the required aim for a 30 degree cut (assuming no throw) is through the edge of the object ball.​

Obviously, I agree with AtLarge concerning placing the cutout over the estimated ghost-ball position instead of the object ball.

Again, good work. That template can be useful to some people.

Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave,
I am honored to have my template on your site, where I have learned so much.

Something I may not have been clear about, is that the template was made to help me learn to see the angle/time from the OB to the pocket opening center. That is why it is placed over the OB, and not the ghost ball. The template is a reference tool and not to be used while making a shot. I only want to know the angle, and associated cue shaft to OB face alignment that makes the shot with a center CB hit. After some hours use, the angles and associated cue shaft/OB face relationships begin to be committed to memory. I still have to make corrections for any off center hit, and or speed needed for position.

Thanks, Dan

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Dave,
I am honored to have my template on your site, where I have learned so much.
My pleasure ... and thank you!

Something I may not have been clear about, is that the template was made to help me learn to see the angle/time from the OB to the pocket opening center. That is why it is placed over the OB, and not the ghost ball. The template is a reference tool and not to be used while making a shot. I only want to know the angle, and associated cue shaft to OB face alignment that makes the shot with a center CB hit. After some hours use, the angles and associated cue shaft/OB face relationships begin to be committed to memory. I still have to make corrections for any off center hit, and or speed needed for position.
Thanks for the clarification. I still think the template might also be useful to others as an aiming training template (regardless of shot distance) by centering it on the ghost-ball position. This also gives one practice visualizing and locating the ghost-ball position, and allows one to make a correspondence between the visualized ghost-ball positions and the required aim points illustrated on your template.

Again, great idea, regardless of how one chooses to use it.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dan,

FYI, I just posted a link to your thread (along with a copy of the template image) on the Main Forum because I think many people who don't visit the Aiming Conversation Forum might appreciate your contribution.

Again, good job.

Regards,
Dave

Roadie

Banned
I made a simple paper template to help see and learn cut angles. I got the idea after watching Shane's aiming system U-tube video.

To use it, save the .jpg file to your computer, then print it on a sheet of 8x10 paper. I use heavy weight paper for durability. Cut out on the perimeter line, and the large center circle.

On the table, place the cut out circle over the object ball, while pointing the arrow back to the cueball.
Site from the desired pocket back to the object ball, and note the nearest angle or clock position.
The outer smaller circles represent the object ball as seen from the shooters position.
The smallest circles represent the cue tip, or shaft, or sight line, relative to the object ball, when the cueball is struck dead center.

This is based on the geometric aim line, so speed and the throw effect may require some compensation.
A medium or a bit softer stroke works best for me and my Cuetec R360.
After a while, you learn to see the angles or clock positions while standing, and may not need to use the template on the table. I now just hold my cue aligned with the cueball passing through the object ball, with the tip above at 12:00 and estimate the clock "time" of the pocket. Just refer to the tip/OB alignment for that angle, until you have those memorized.

Until recently I had always used the ghost ball, but my old eyes started playing tricks on me. This "flat perspective" way of sighting seems to help me. This works without even sighting from the pocket through the object ball to find the contact point, but I still do that, for verification.

Dan

This is very cool. Would you happen to have it as a vector file and be willing to share that?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is very cool. Would you happen to have it as a vector file and be willing to share that?

You can right click on the image and save it to your picture file, print it and get a copy off of a copier with a % scaleable function until it is 1:1.

Roadie

Banned
You can right click on the image and save it to your picture file, print it and get a copy off of a copier with a % scaleable function until it is 1:1.

I am asking for a vector file for a different reason. I can also reproduce this image in less than 30 minutes if I choose to but if the person who created it is willing to send the vector then I can save myself the time.

Roadie

Banned

Sir, you are simply being an obnoxious troll at this point. We know the arrow ok. You do not have to jump into EVERY thread talking about it. Please stop.

I encourage the members here to report this man's posts from here on out when he makes posts which are only intended to antagonize others. With enough reporting the moderators will take note and ask him to cool it.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am asking for a vector file for a different reason. I can also reproduce this image in less than 30 minutes if I choose to but if the person who created it is willing to send the vector then I can save myself the time.

Good luck then.

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I made the template using Solidworks 3-D then Snaget to copy the image and annotate, but since you asked, here is a .dwg vector file for you. (Autocad 2000)

The template cut-out is to be placed over the object ball. If you put it on the ghost ball, the indicated angles will be incorrect. A ghost ball was used in Solidworks to derive the angles and relative cue tip/shaft/object ball site picture shown at the rim.

Dan

Attachments

• Cut Aim Template .zip
    24.8 KB · Views: 263

Roadie

Banned
I made the template using Solidworks 3-D then Snaget to copy the image and annotate, but since you asked, here is a .dwg vector file for you. (Autocad 2000)

The template cut-out is to be placed over the object ball. If you put it on the ghost ball, the indicated angles will be incorrect. A ghost ball was used in Solidworks to derive the angles and relative cue tip/shaft/object ball site picture shown at the rim.

Dan

Thank you. Looking forward to trying it out.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oldschool1478,
Can you draw a light/dotted GB around the aim dot for each cut angle dot, in your template, and put a black dot around the GB equator where it appears on the OB.

This will help those that use the side of the CB to aim like CJ Wiley and others?
Thanks