Bonus Ball now to be know as BOGUS BALL

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Well it's like having a job but deciding to leave that job and take another job instead...something most of us do now and then...also...can't the great tournaments run without the players in the BB league, and then they can help even more players become pros and make a living at it in the long run...is it the tournaments that make the players...or...is it really the other way around...maybe that's the question....

Probably would fill with older players and young upstarts. This would likely result in lower quality of play and reduced sponsorship. Only if the young guys level of play reaches that of the BB Pro's will the traditional tournaments survive. I doubt they can wait too many years to see if this happens.

High level players make the big tournaments. IMO.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
That would make two of us Roger.

Bushka, I think the tourney promoters know how to roll with the punches by now.

I mentioned before that you can't blame the players for looking for a steady income.

I should have been more clear. I believe that it was seemingly, Bonus Balls owners, management, that didn't seem to be willing to work with the promoters re the scheduling of BB.

It was like the attitude of, we're here, we ain't going anywhere and if we have to step on a few toes to get to where we're going, so be it.

BB fails, the players get released and all of a sudden, its someone do something for us again.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah, the BB people don't care about forum chatter. I am sure it's already been explained to potential and existing investors that the target market isn't the hard core pool fanatic but instead the larger mainstream.

Let's be honest, the majority of people who follow snooker don't play snooker. Same for basket ball, foot ball, tennis etc....

At one point ABC's Mosconi/Fats battles were some of the highest rated shows on TV. No way that all those viewers played pool. I would argue that they were simply attracted to the drama and conflict.

Lets not get to carried away it aired on wide world of sports many people tuned in like myself not knowing what was going to be on that week any sport from horse shoes to cliff diving hate similar viewership ,

Do you honestly think from what you saw this has prime time viewer potential on national TV.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Lets not get to carried away it aired on wide world of sports many people tuned in like myself not knowing what was going to be on that week any sport from horse shoes to cliff diving hate similar viewership ,

Do you honestly think from what you saw this has prime time viewer potential on national TV.

If you would have asked me if people would tune in to watch people sit around and play cards before the WPT I would have said no, not a chance.

And here we are so many years later and poker is still on TV. If it's possible to make poker exciting then it's possible to make pool exciting.

I didn't see the matches so I can't comment on the production value. But I will repeat what my wife said about poker and pool. She said she didn't care about either one but she did enjoy the backstories on the poker players and that made her curious to follow them and see how they did week to week.

She knew the names of the top poker players and never bothered to learn any of the names of the pool players even though I watched a lot of pool.

Why shouldn't we get carried away? We ***** and whine about how pool is down, pool rooms closing, no pro tour, how bad the Americans are doing internationally, and and and....... Then when something like this comes along some of the folks here just can't take a positive view no matter what.

I guess I get it, if you're negative and they pull it off you can say well, good for them glad I was wrong and no one thinks ill of you. And if it flops you feel like a genius because you can say see I predicted it, Nate Silver calls me when he wants to know something.

But for the positive folks looking at this hopefully we can only be let down if it fails right? But my hopes were dashed, now I am so depressed I am going to go swallow all my bonus balls and jump in the lake.

So I get it that being negative is a safe bet in a situation like this. People are forgiving. If it succeeds then the critics become supporters and no one cares anymore who said what in the beginning. That's just how it is in life.

This song about sums up how I feel about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6_-fQJdtEo

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you would have asked me if people would tune in to watch people sit around and play cards before the WPT I would have said no, not a chance.

And here we are so many years later and poker is still on TV. If it's possible to make poker exciting then it's possible to make pool exciting.

I didn't see the matches so I can't comment on the production value. But I will repeat what my wife said about poker and pool. She said she didn't care about either one but she did enjoy the backstories on the poker players and that made her curious to follow them and see how they did week to week.

She knew the names of the top poker players and never bothered to learn any of the names of the pool players even though I watched a lot of pool.

Why shouldn't we get carried away? We ***** and whine about how pool is down, pool rooms closing, no pro tour, how bad the Americans are doing internationally, and and and....... Then when something like this comes along some of the folks here just can't take a positive view no matter what.

I guess I get it, if you're negative and they pull it off you can say well, good for them glad I was wrong and no one thinks ill of you. And if it flops you feel like a genius because you can say see I predicted it, Nate Silver calls me when he wants to know something.

But for the positive folks looking at this hopefully we can only be let down if it fails right? But my hopes were dashed, now I am so depressed I am going to go swallow all my bonus balls and jump in the lake.

So I get it that being negative is a safe bet in a situation like this. People are forgiving. If it succeeds then the critics become supporters and no one cares anymore who said what in the beginning. That's just how it is in life.

First off poker is on the down side it's lost it's sex appeal. Ya your wife can probably name 10 players on a good day. Is that what they should be shooting for
I just call it like I see it I have no horse in the race although I do know some of the players one who I won't name said he would quit pool if he knew anything else so I would like to see it succeed for the players. I'm just giving a objective opinion
It really means zero at the end of the day

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

I just wish one of these great next hopes would come along and not completely upend the very industry that made the stars they use to try and sell whatever it is they are selling.

An actual plan that makes sense wouldn't hurt either but I don't want to be totally unrealistic in my hopes.

I agree 100% there needs to be more exposition on the players and their stories. Which is why we do the podcasts with the players before matches. There is room for a lot more of that stuff all over the industry.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I just wish one of these great next hopes would come along and not completely upend the very industry that made the stars they use to try and sell whatever it is they are selling.

An actual plan that makes sense wouldn't hurt either but I don't want to be totally unrealistic in my hopes.

I agree 100% there needs to be more exposition on the players and their stories. Which is why we do the podcasts with the players before matches. There is room for a lot more of that stuff all over the industry.

I agree with this as well. I just don't know what the answer is really.

I guess the only thing I can say that I hope for is that IF this works out and somehwo blows up then you have a TON of awesome content "in the can" ready to be packaged and sold to the other network. :)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
First off poker is on the down side it's lost it's sex appeal. Ya your wife can probably name 10 players on a good day. Is that what they should be shooting for
I just call it like I see it I have no horse in the race although I do know some of the players one who I won't name said he would quit pool if he knew anything else so I would like to see it succeed for the players. I'm just giving a objective opinion
It really means zero at the end of the day

It might be on the down side but there are still plenty of poker shows on TV. The World Series of Poker continues to get bigger every year and the WPT is still going strong.

Who cares if my wife could name 2 or 10 players? The fact that she sat down enough to watch the shows and learn their names was amazing to me. That is the sort of appeal to non-hard-core players that I was talking about.

Sure call it like you see it, so do I, only we have different outlooks. The point is that neither your opinion nor mine means anything to the people doing it. We are wasting time talking about it because we will have zero influence over it. The only reason to state your opinion now and take a stance is to preserve what side of the line you were on when it either crashes or succeeds.

It's like discussing the Yankees in the bar. The Yankees don't do anything because of the bar's opinion. They exist, you talk about them. That's the dynamic. Maybe it would be really cool if Larry were here to take questions and have a discussion but he has chosen not to use the AZB "brain trust" for very good reasons I think. Pretty much the same reasons why 90% of the professional players choose to interact with their fans on Facebook rather than here.

Lucky_Lew66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
an idea for bonus ball owners

what they need is maybe Jennifer Aniston or some other wellknown hot women to learn to play, and have a pro am type setup and get it out there to the general public. Once the people that follow these stars lifes get ahold of it it will be plastered all over the news and maybe gain some popularity with the masses, then maybe it might be the next best thing since peanut butter. Personally it looks awfully boring to me,for a pro caliber player,but hey so did one pocket until i started playing it. I think we need to get big celebraties involved in the game and see if it would help,shoot they might even throw a few million dollars of support out there for it. Just my 2 cents worth...;)

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah, the BB people don't care about forum chatter. I am sure it's already been explained to potential and existing investors that the target market isn't the hard core pool fanatic but instead the larger mainstream.

Let's be honest, the majority of people who follow snooker don't play snooker. Same for basket ball, foot ball, tennis etc....

At one point ABC's Mosconi/Fats battles were some of the highest rated shows on TV. No way that all those viewers played pool. I would argue that they were simply attracted to the drama and conflict.

investors, lol investors= pipe dream

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
They couldn't pay the celebrities enuff money to participate.
If they want to hit the news, all they have to do is buy an ounce of blow and pull a Charlie Sheen.

There may very well be many answers but I have a small feeling that playing with Halloween colored balls isn't one of them.

From the little that I was able to glean, it was blatantly obvious that the players weren't acting very enthusiastic. They should have been doing a bit of fist pumping when they made a shot, high fiving their team mates, mixing it up with the rival team perhaps. I know thats not usually the norm when playing tournaments but its close when they are at the Mosconi Cup.
Actors don't go around acting all day long, they save it for when the cameras are on. Thats what they get paid to do. Same thing here, act like you are excited and want to be there playing.

Its hard for the viewing audience to get excited when the players involved look bored.

The two balls girls looked like they would have preferred to be anywhere but there.

Save some money, you don't need one girl to removed the odd ball from a pocket and the other to wipe the rails, thats the Refs job.

For pool playing, thats unnecessary glitz.

This isn't Naked News.

This is supposed to be a totally different concept with the general pool playing public not the target audience, so fine, get the players to do act differently than they would normally.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
investors, lol investors= pipe dream

Ok, I will take the pollyanna side and bet $100 that Bonus Ball goes into the second season.

Specifically I bet they finish out this season as laid out on the website and that they start a second season within a year after that. (Only because I don't know what the BB season is supposed to be) But they will finish this one, have the playoffs and their champion and then start again after that.

Payoff on the first match of the second season or on the announcement it's over or if they fail to start within a year after completion of the first season.

Not busting your chops just want to have a reason to cheer that's a little more personal.

Bet?

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Every post you make about BB, makes me not want to support TAR or PRO POOL! I don't think you realize what it makes you and your business look like by chirping away! I am not a fan of BB but you are making me think everyone involved in pool are douches and selfish p****s!

Forgive me if I don't give your opinion much weight as your account was opened today. This isn't me yelling "Shut up n00b" I'm just saying that until you build some sort of reputation here I can not judge your comment fairly. Also maybe you need to actually read what I have been saying before going all rabid.

You are correct though I am a selfish douchepussy who has paid out more money than I have made. Total asshole.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I don't know where you got that from 3 Post Primo, but ya'll haven't been around long enuff to get a grasp of what Justin is saying.

Hey, how much is Bonus Ball paying you to post?

Ah, I know, yer one of the Ball girls aren't ya.

Get a grip Preemy. Most Canucks live closer to the US border than the Arctic Circle.

Just joined up today did ya and decided to get involved in the Bonus Ball debate.

Whats your other alias on AZ. Bet you're toast by tomorrow.

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
13 year olds address everyone by Dude.

Put the pipe down, mom and dad will be home soon from the swapping party.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
The only posts ive read here today is Justin's last post (which he got a greenie for) and I can say this... Shoot the winning horse in the back legs before the race. That is all......

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
What does where I live have to do with anything?

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

I know this is going to be a gooder. I need a laugh.

6 posts and I am green? wow! I guess someone likes one of my posts?

Yeah, most likely your other account. Dude.

Last edited:

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Dude its the words I speak and not the post count! You're the best thing out there in pool right now and for a while let your hard work do your talking! I aint a asshole! I just speak the truth!

I appreciate the praise thank you.

A question for you...If someone were to come into your industry and just start fvcking things up willy nilly would you just shut up about it? I am the most outspoken industry guy on this topic because frankly I don't really give too much of shit about how people perceive me personally.

This outlook gives me the freedom to be honest about how I view things. I expect that will rub some people the wrong way. Such is life. I hope those people judge the TAR product on its merits alone and not confuse it with my personal feelings but if they can't then they can't.

I have taken stances on the ABP and been hammered for it. I was outspoken on the IPT and got hammered for it. Same with Barry Berhman. I'm still around and so is TAR. The day I think to myself "You need to be quiet on something you feel strongly about because it could possibly anger someone." is the day I turn in my balls and leave the building.

All of the above said sometimes I do get too far out in front on things. Is this one of them? Maybe it is. But I really think some people need to honestly read what I have posted. The VAST majority of it is honest criticism mixed with possible solutions.

Edit to add: I realize I just wrote a book replying to a troll account but everything in it is valid.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Umm, I live where I live because I was born in Canada perhaps.

The closest polar bear to me is in ChurchHill Manitoba brain trust.

Way more than a days drive for me anyway. Probably about 6 weeks driving. Then, I would probably have to take a 10 hr plane ride. Next, a dog sled.

I do speak Inuit tho so that would probably help me communicate with the polar bears better than the average Canadian. I do use my snow mobile to get to work in the winter too.

Where did you go to school Short bus?

Last edited: