My BCAPL Vegas Experience

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
The good and the not so good...

The good

The rooms were nice! I expected a small kitchen of sorts but that was a small issue. Refrigerator held plenty of beer and water and kept both very cold!

I liked the life sized pictures of players as you walked down the hall just before the pool area. Nice touch!

I felt green fees were a good idea! More people spent more time in the area playing more pool. This adds value not only for the pool player but for the vendors.

As always, enjoyed listening to "Little Joe".

Not as always...met some very cool people. I hope I don't forget anyone but here it goes...

Joe Tucker
Hunter Lombardo
Royce and Shane with OB (I can't wait until I get my OB-136!!!) :D
Mark Griffin
And a lot of AZB'ers that are too many to name!

I enjoyed watching SVB interact with the children who were in Vegas this week! This is the kind of things we need more of.

I enjoyed hearing Corey Deuel say he was headed over to another booth for a promotional activity! This was following his time in the OB booth playing challenge matches free of charge!

I enjoyed seeing Mike Massey preaching to a pool crowd. While I am not a big religious kind of guy, I understand that this was a positive activity for our game!

I liked seeing Hunter Lombardo swing by to watch his friend play in the second chance tournament! He wasn't there to talk about last night's drinking binge or the next big action game. He was there to support his friend! Hat's off to you Mr. Lombardo!

I liked seeing the pros playing in the same room with the amateurs this year!

I liked having Max Eberle giving me an inviting look while he was playing his straight pool match. I didn't say anything out of respect for his being in a match but I could tell he was willing to chat when he sat down in front of me! It hurt since he is one of my favs when it comes to pool instruction. I would have loved to chatted with him for a few hours! lol

Seeing an ex-OKC player win the Men's Super Seniors division. Congratulations Don Owen!!

Seeing a pool buddy win the Women's Open team in dramatic fashion! Congratulations Melinda Bailey!

The not so good...

Changing equipment without proper notice for a national event is completely unacceptable in any game!

Changing the format of play without proper notice is unacceptable. Happened in the advanced teams. We expected to play 5 players so we ended up having to sit an extra player. I volunteered to sit out until we went to the loser's bracket only to dog it there. That was fun... lol :rolleyes:

Having both blue label and red label tables used for the event was a bad call.

Playing as an advanced player is boring. Very little to do...I did win a small poker tourney though! lol

The change of venue was barely noticeable to me. The biggest difference was the room and I spent very little time in there. So spent more money and got about the same experience. I know others will feel differently but they are more "into Vegas" than I am....most likely.

Food and drink prices were silly high. I long for the days gone by when food and drink in Vegas were very affordable... lol

All in all I had a very good trip. A lot of lessons learned and a lot of great people met!!

Ken

p.s. Did I mention changing equipment without proper notice is unacceptable? :eek::eek::eek:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

The good

The rooms were nice! I expected a small kitchen of sorts but that was a small issue. Refrigerator held plenty of beer and water and kept both very cold!

I liked the life sized pictures of players as you walked down the hall just before the pool area. Nice touch!

I felt green fees were a good idea! More people spent more time in the area playing more pool. This adds value not only for the pool player but for the vendors.

Not as always...met some very cool people. I hope I don't forget anyone but here it goes...

Joe Tucker
Hunter Lombardo
Mark Griffin

I enjoyed watching SVB interact with the children who were in Vegas this week! This is the kind of things we need more of.

I enjoyed hearing Corey Deuel say he was headed over to another booth for a promotional activity! This was following his time in the OB booth playing challenge matches free of charge!

I enjoyed seeing Mike Massey preaching to a pool crowd. While I am not a big religious kind of guy, I understand that this was a positive activity for our game!

I liked seeing Hunter Lombardo swing by to watch his friend play in the second chance tournament! He wasn't there to talk about last night's drinking binge or the next big action game. He was there to support his friend! Hat's off to you Mr. Lombardo!

I liked having Max Eberle giving me an inviting look while he was playing his straight pool match. I didn't say anything out of respect for his being in a match but I could tell he was willing to chat when he sat down in front of me! It hurt since he is one of my favs when it comes to pool instruction. I would have loved to chatted with him for a few hours! lol

Seeing an ex-OKC player win the Men's Super Seniors division. Congratulations Don Owen!!

Seeing a pool buddy win the Women's Open team in dramatic fashion! Congratulations Melinda Bailey!

The not so good...

Changing equipment without proper notice for a national event is completely unacceptable in any game!

Changing the format of play without proper notice is unacceptable. Happened in the advanced teams. We expected to play 5 players so we ended up having to sit an extra player. I volunteered to sit out until we went to the loser's bracket only to dog it there. That was fun... lol :rolleyes:

Playing as an advanced player is boring. Very little to do...I did win a small poker tourney though! lol

The change of venue was barely noticeable to me. The biggest difference was the room and I spent very little time in there. So spent more money and got about the same experience. I know others will feel differently but they are more "into Vegas" than I am....most likely.

Food and drink prices were silly high. I long for the days gone by when food and drink in Vegas were very affordable... lol

All in all I had a very good trip. A lot of lessons learned and a lot of great people met!!

Ken

p.s. Did I mention changing equipment without proper notice is unacceptable? :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a good trip, Ken.

Good point about Shane spending time with the kids. I, too, thought that was fantastic.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Changing equipment without proper notice for a national event is completely unacceptable in any game.

I just met Ken (who made this comment) and I think he has been around and understands a lot about pool and other games (golf). I think he is a reasonable guy.

So my questions is: How do you give proper notice on a ball change? There were no balls to distribute to any other locations. So what is the procedure that people think we should have used?

I just don't see the issue. And I don't see any way of making people aware of the change in advance OR having the balls for use prior to our event.

Just asking - since a couple of have mentioned this.

Mark Griffin

calcuttaman

Pool Player
Silver Member
Changing the format of play without proper notice is unacceptable. Happened in the advanced teams. We expected to play 5 players so we ended up having to sit an extra player.
Are you talking about the Men’s/Mixed Advanced/Master Teams 8 Ball? If so, its been posted numerous places....

Attachments

• advanced.png
    advanced.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 378

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Changing equipment without proper notice for a national event is completely unacceptable in any game.

I just met Ken (who made this comment) and I think he has been around and understands a lot about pool and other games (golf). I think he is a reasonable guy.

So my questions is: How do you give proper notice on a ball change? There were no balls to distribute to any other locations. So what is the procedure that people think we should have used?

I just don't see the issue. And I don't see any way of making people aware of the change in advance OR having the balls for use prior to our event.

Mark Griffin

I quite frankly don't see the issue either. Just about everyone that I read about said they were fine, If you venture to see what half the players play on all the time (I know about all the San Antonio players) having nice balls without dents in the them is a major step upward ! lol

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The good

Joe Tucker
Hunter Lombardo
Mark Griffin

The not so good...

Ken

Ken, cool report. Thanks for sharing. We need more of this on AZ.

Lou Figueroa

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Hey Ken,

Good post. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you mostly enjoyed it.

All the Best,
Rick

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member

Mark Griffin

I stated my opinion for the sake of stating it. I am not in the business of telling you yours. But since you asked I will give you what I thought would have been more palatable.

One year notice. Tell the players that at next year's event we will be breaking out a new revolutionary ball which will knock you socks off....or whatever.

I tried to remember the last time there was a significant ball change and I don't know of one. That said....I am not one who has his finger on the pulse on all that was is or will be pool. But I am learning.

It was an excellent event and I will attend again. Please note that I pointed out a lot of things I liked at this year's event! I understand too well that we will never make everyone happy. :thumbup:

Ken

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Hey Ken,

Good post. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you mostly enjoyed it.

All the Best,
Rick

Rick, I enjoyed it. Not mostly...I enjoyed it.

I am one of many and know my opinions will not always mesh with everyone else's. I am ok with that! ;)

Ken

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Rick, I enjoyed it. Not mostly...I enjoyed it.

I am one of many and know my opinions will not always mesh with everyone else's. I am ok with that! ;)

Ken

Ken,

I guess I phrased that incorrectly.

I guess I should have said, 'I'm glad you enjoyed most of it'.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed.

Best,
Rick

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I stated my opinion for the sake of stating it. I am not in the business of telling you yours. But since you asked I will give you what I thought would have been more palatable.

One year notice. Tell the players that at next year's event we will be breaking out a new revolutionary ball which will knock you socks off....or whatever.

I tried to remember the last time there was a significant ball change and I don't know of one. That said....I am not one who has his finger on the pulse on all that was is or will be pool. But I am learning.

It was an excellent event and I will attend again. Please note that I pointed out a lot of things I liked at this year's event! I understand too well that we will never make everyone happy. :thumbup:

Ken

Not to speak for Mark, but if Cyclops and the BCAPL came to an agreement of sponsorship, what you suggest here would likely not be feasible.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Not to speak for Mark, but if Cyclops and the BCAPL came to an agreement of sponsorship, what you suggest here would likely not be feasible.

I think it is self evident that BCAPL and Cyclop came to an agreement. If the agreement had been mine to make it would have included a time frame which included giving the players adequate prior notice of the change. It would have also included a lot of fanfare and a lot of opportunities for pool room owners across the country to bring the Cyclop ball into their establishments. I would have most likely targeted those rooms notorious for having poor equipment in order to have the most positive first impression as possible by the players.

But what do I know...I am just a keyboard cowboy! :D

As a player, my opinion stands. I do not have to be correct nor do I have to be considered. I wasn't looking for approval or sympathy. I was just posting my take on the event.

Let's focus on the things I liked instead! Hats off to the pros!! Congrats to our champions!

Respectfully,

Ken